• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Anime Network to Resume To Love-Ru Darkness Simulcast this Week

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hojo 360

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
that's a big fudge up on there part Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see they finally bothered to look at a clock and a calender and got this reinstated, even with a delay-cast.

But since the stream will be heavily censored anyway, is there any point to watching it?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
But since the stream will be heavily censored anyway, is there any point to watching it?

Nope, absolutely not. BDs or nothing for this one, this show doesn't exist until then.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Nope, absolutely not. BDs or nothing for this one, this show doesn't exist until then.

I think some people will watch it anyway, but yeah, your position is going to be popular. Heavy steam and light beams that cover half the screen are not very erotic. Besides, there are plenty of other shows to watch in the meantime.

At least on the positive side, you can be assured that TLR:D will get an uncensored Blu-Ray release next year. There's no way Sentai would miss the opportunity to basically print money.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm not so sure about that. None of the other TLR series even got dubs, let alone BD releases, and I doubt they'll start here. Looks like they'll be releasing uncensored DVD releases next year, not BDs. And we can hope they're uncensored.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I think some people will watch it anyway, but yeah, your position is going to be popular. Heavy steam and light beams that cover half the screen are not very erotic. Besides, there are plenty of other shows to watch in the meantime.

At least on the positive side, you can be assured that TLR:D will get an uncensored Blu-Ray release next year. There's no way Sentai would miss the opportunity to basically print money.

Sentia has yet to release a sub only BD. But if it get a BD release that means a dub, that would make me happy. Really think they should go back and dub at least SA and To Love RU.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm not so sure about that. None of the other TLR series even got dubs, let alone BD releases...

Ah, very true. I must gave gotten my companies mixed up or something.

Still, as unlikely as it may be, there's still the chance of a dubbed uncensored BD. Sentai still haven't decided yet (at least publicly) what they're going to do with the release, so fans can make their wishes known.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Still, as unlikely as it may be, there's still the chance of a dubbed uncensored BD. Sentai still haven't decided yet (at least publicly) what they're going to do with the release, so fans can make their wishes known.

-lol-
The only way that'll ever happen is if fans put their money where their mouth is, and watch the TAN stream (not you specifically, since you're in NZ) to boost the steaming numbers beyond belief.
They'ed have to have some really large solid numbers to play with if they're going to decide to dub the 3rd season of a franchise they've released the 2 previous seasons as sub-only DVD.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
TLR:D on CR doesn't mean squat to me since it's heavily censored. I'll wait until Sentai Filmworks released this one on DVDs/BDs in uncensored version.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
They'ed have to have some really large solid numbers to play with if they're going to decide to dub the 3rd season of a franchise they've released the 2 previous seasons as sub-only DVD.

Yeah, it's a vicious process where fans avoid the stream in the hope of a BD release and then Sentai think that no-one likes it so they only release it on DVD.

That's why fans have to contact Sentai directly and say, "Look, I'm not watching the censored stream but I am willing to fork out money for a dubbed uncensored BD. Please release it on BD." I don't know how much good it will do but it doesn't take long to compose an E-mail, so it's worth a shot.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Now that all anime is in HD, how feasible will it be for Sentai to start releasing sub-only BD's? I have heard that releasing BD's cost more than DVD's, but isn't the English dub the big expense. NISA is able to release sub-only BD's after all.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
NISA is able to release sub-only BD's after all.

Comparing different companies business practices is rather pointless, particularly in this case.
Sure NISA releases sub-only on BDs, but they have nowhere near the cataloge that Sentai has.
Not to mention, they're a subsidary software publisher first and foremost and an R1 anime company second.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Now that all anime is in HD, how feasible will it be for Sentai to start releasing sub-only BD's? I have heard that releasing BD's cost more than DVD's, but isn't the English dub the big expense. NISA is able to release sub-only BD's after all.

Technically speaking it would not cost much more to release a sub-only BD instead (or in addition to) a sub-only DVD for company like Sentai since they already have the capability to make Blurays.
The mastering and AACS encryption key costs are non-trivial, about ~$5000 or so per disc I think at this point, compared to more like $500 for DVDs, but that only works out to about $500 more an episode of cost, roughly, compared to dubbing which costs something like 10 times more last time I checked.
Depending on the licensing company however there may be extra materials costs (I doubt that's an issue with new anime though).

So feasible, sure. Would it be a good business decision given the negative reactions from some fans? That's an open question.

But what is clear is the dubbing itself is still by far the most expensive thing that R1 licensing companies do.
kanechin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

What he said. Also hope that these dvd releases don't censor Mikan but thanks to ishihara (prepares "stuff").
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The Coffee God wrote:
Yeah, it's a vicious process where fans avoid the stream in the hope of a BD release and then Sentai think that no-one likes it so they only release it on DVD.

In this case, they do have the previous seasons' sales numbers to look at, not just the streaming numbers, which might help.

dtm42 wrote:
That's why fans have to contact Sentai directly and say, "Look, I'm not watching the censored stream but I am willing to fork out money for a dubbed uncensored BD. Please release it on BD." I don't know how much good it will do but it doesn't take long to compose an E-mail, so it's worth a shot.

That's an excellent idea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2