Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Network Online Heads to UK, Ponyo UK Opening in 2010




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 25 Oct 2003
Posts: 6000
Location: Wales

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I'd woohoo if I didn't own the only three titles listed that I'm interested in on DVD, but excellent news nevertheless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
12skippy21



Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 508
Location: Derby, England

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
I wonder how long this service will last?
Worth a look I'm sure but like Shiroi Hane the series I like I have on DVD. I haven't seen Lady of Death though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 7782

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:58 am Reply with quote
I'm a little torn on seeing Ponyo. Luckily it is coming to a nearby theater, but the Jonas and Cyrus kids have me worried. They ruined that song.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moomintroll



Joined: 08 Oct 2007
Posts: 1600
Location: Nottingham (UK)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:30 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm a little torn on seeing Ponyo. Luckily it is coming to a nearby theater, but the Jonas and Cyrus kids have me worried. They ruined that song.


Don't you get a dual release in the US? When a new Ghibli film (or something like the French animated film Persepolis) comes out here in Britain, the big multiplex cinemas show the dub and the arthouse cinemas show the sub.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
hikaru004



Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 2303

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:04 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm a little torn on seeing Ponyo. Luckily it is coming to a nearby theater, but the Jonas and Cyrus kids have me worried. They ruined that song.


Don't you get a dual release in the US? When a new Ghibli film (or something like the French animated film Persepolis) comes out here in Britain, the big multiplex cinemas show the dub and the arthouse cinemas show the sub.


That would prob depend on what area of the US you lived in. I'm in a rural area so I'd be lucky to see it dubbed. It's only going to be in 800 theaters total IIRC. (To put in perspective, total number of theaters in US is estimated at 18,410)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 7782

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:17 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm a little torn on seeing Ponyo. Luckily it is coming to a nearby theater, but the Jonas and Cyrus kids have me worried. They ruined that song.


Don't you get a dual release in the US? When a new Ghibli film (or something like the French animated film Persepolis) comes out here in Britain, the big multiplex cinemas show the dub and the arthouse cinemas show the sub.


That would prob depend on what area of the US you lived in. I'm in a rural area so I'd be lucky to see it dubbed. It's only going to be in 800 theaters total IIRC. (To put in perspective, total number of theaters in US is estimated at 18,410)


I think that's the estimate of screens, not theaters. But when they say 800 theaters, it more or less means screens because this film will probably only get a small limited release, down to only a few showings a day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hikaru004



Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 2303

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm a little torn on seeing Ponyo. Luckily it is coming to a nearby theater, but the Jonas and Cyrus kids have me worried. They ruined that song.


Don't you get a dual release in the US? When a new Ghibli film (or something like the French animated film Persepolis) comes out here in Britain, the big multiplex cinemas show the dub and the arthouse cinemas show the sub.


That would prob depend on what area of the US you lived in. I'm in a rural area so I'd be lucky to see it dubbed. It's only going to be in 800 theaters total IIRC. (To put in perspective, total number of theaters in US is estimated at 18,410)


I think that's the estimate of screens, not theaters. But when they say 800 theaters, it more or less means screens because this film will probably only get a small limited release, down to only a few showings a day.


Then, it's worse, The estimate is 38,990 screens in the US.

Edit: Yippee! ADV is streaming outside the US.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Onizuka666



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Posts: 266
Location: U.K

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
Cool, nice one ADV.

How this service survives, is down to what shows they get for it. I don't expect ADV to break the bank anytime soon.

I wish them success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 25 Oct 2003
Posts: 6000
Location: Wales

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
ADV have tried DTO in the UK before, I remember seeing a few episodes of Air Gear free on Vizimo, which was exclusive there as there was no intention to release on DVD in the UK. Wasn't interested enough to purchase the rest. IIRC Lady Death was one of the other shows on there also.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7277
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
Yes it's a great advantage having ADV back in the UK like this. Now all they have to do is show some original titles, and not just regurg the same things they were regurging back when TAN was on Propeller, then they could be on the way back to actually making some Sterling again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConanSan



Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 1818

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
Navigating Empire's impossible, so what was the reson given for the Ponyo delay? I mean I'm sure that kittens need to be sacrificed to convert film from NSTC to PAL but that's not that hard.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Yes it's a great advantage having ADV back in the UK like this. Now all they have to do is show some original titles, and not just regurg the same things they were regurging back when TAN was on Propeller, then they could be on the way back to actually making some Sterling again.
I will accept that this is a postive step, however, we're paying more for less again.

Even though it's not as bad as about 99.9% of all streaming servies, TANUK does the ol' boat of "Show them shows we can't show em" (Give 'im the Utena DON'T GIVE HIM THE UTENA! Ohhhhhh!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7277
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:25 am Reply with quote
Well if they start showing the titles they stopped selling here in the middle of their distribution, like Wallflower, and Welcome to the NHK. then it might be worth me signing up, other wise it's a non-starter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 25 Oct 2003
Posts: 6000
Location: Wales

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first few episodes of Nanaka (which only require registration since I had trouble paying for a premium account) and that has never been released here and is unlikely ever to be either. Hopefully shows like this will continue to be available, not a FUNimation-style "oops, we shouldn't have been streaming this to you, quick turn everything off"-style deal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group