• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Guilty Motivation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly, we don't know what the new Square-Enix game is yet.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Still, the second Yakuza moved a paltry 40,000 copies in North America,

It was on an old system. What did they expect?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
it's probably a sequel to their bizarre arcade card game Lord of Vermillion
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:11 am Reply with quote
Very nice interview! Definitely people I'm interested in reading about.

Phantom Brave is a game I never really got into, having owned it when I was in a Nippon Ichi craze. The more serious plot just didn't feel right for their style of game, and the battle system was too awkward in it's speed-based system. I felt that the circle-based fighting worked better in Makai Kingdom, which also had an excellently hilarious story, so I was happy to just play the latter game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Mori: Well, I don't really worry about balance; I concern myself with the gameplay, and how people enjoy the gameplay, and it's not as if balance equals enjoyment.

Following from this point, one must enquire into the extent to which the game is actually balanced. Apparently, certain characters are more popular online than others, so adhering to the above methodology when implementing gameplay elements may have been to the benefit of certain characters more than others. Contrary to that, I've heard that many praise the game for the equal matching of its fighters. Since I've no nose for the subtleties of fighting game mechanics, it's best I assume the quality of the game as viewed in the light of 'balance' is a subjective thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Losstarot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
Mori: Well, I don't really worry about balance; I concern myself with the gameplay, and how people enjoy the gameplay, and it's not as if balance equals enjoyment.

Following from this point, one must enquire into the extent to which the game is actually balanced. Apparently, certain characters are more popular online than others, so adhering to the above methodology when implementing gameplay elements may have been to the benefit of certain characters more than others. Contrary to that, I've heard that many praise the game for the equal matching of its fighters. Since I've no nose for the subtleties of fighting game mechanics, it's best I assume the quality of the game as viewed in the light of 'balance' is a subjective thing.

While I agree that balance doesn't necessarily equal enjoyment, I'd say it's at least related. Nobody likes going online and constantly fighting the same two characters.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Windy X Windam: The character designs are pretty nice for this game, despite the shortcomings mentioned

Phantom Brave: I was curious about the first game but never played it (silly me). I wonder how corny the title would have been if they did it like "Wii Meet Again" Anime hyper

Mystic Defenders: I bet the nudity censoring was the work of SOCCER MOMS! Curse them, they always ruin chances to see naked women for the pervs! Lol, joking aside, I think I may have seen this game for rent at Blockbuster many years ago but since I never owned a Genesis, it's nothing more than a cartridge memory to me.

Amazing there wasn't a lot to see in this article (then again, I'm not a fan of fighters, no matter how much you people hype up GG and BB). But it is always interesting to hear from the creators of games.

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's an economical decision, though I suspect that the people who'll buy Record of Agarest War are the same people who like their strategy-RPGs with boxes, glossy manuals, soundtracks, and various preorder trinkets.

Speaking of which, what kind of goodies are supposed to be in the Europe release? (the special/LE/whatever edition)
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to take the moment to say that I really hope Konami doesn't screw us over again and uses the original localization for Shadow of Destiny.

Yes, the original had its issues - not unlike Castlevania: SotN - but just like SotN's classic localization, Shadow of Destiny has something that would make a half-hearted retranslation effort on the order of DXC unforgivable: in this case, the Homunculus. Seriously, he's the best part of the entire original English dub for the game and he more than makes up for all the dub's other quibbles. And you're never gonna believe who does his voice. :3
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Quote:
It's an economical decision, though I suspect that the people who'll buy Record of Agarest War are the same people who like their strategy-RPGs with boxes, glossy manuals, soundtracks, and various preorder trinkets.

Speaking of which, what kind of goodies are supposed to be in the Europe release? (the special/LE/whatever edition)

Quote:
In fact Ghostlight will be adding to the release with their announcement of a Collector's Edition alongside the standard retail version. The Collector's Edition will feature unique value added extras including an art book, postcards and other exclusive items. More importantly there will be just one batch of the Collector's Edition released in Europe so pre-ordering will be required.

Wink
youngavatar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
wow glade to see an interview by the creator of blazblue. im really enjoying their game.
Fireline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
What a thoroughly horrible character design from Kishimoto. Not surprising, but still.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That explains Tager's two-hit wins, Noel's drive attack, Hakumen's damage, and Jin's freezing ability.

I'd go into details about the problems of those characters but no one probably really cares here. But at least now I know they didn't even TRY to balance them.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote
Fireline wrote:
What a thoroughly horrible character design from Kishimoto. Not surprising, but still.

I kinda liked it. though a manga writer using his design for video games is new to me. If there's one video game i'll like to see some of his designs on is definately devil may cry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
youngavatar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
That explains Tager's two-hit wins, Noel's drive attack, Hakumen's damage, and Jin's freezing ability.

I'd go into details about the problems of those characters but no one probably really cares here. But at least now I know they didn't even TRY to balance them.

their nothing wrong with those character they each have their own strenght and weakness. only character that i say give people a lot of people trouble is v 13 and that because she a boss character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1