• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sekirei ~Pure Engagement~ TV Anime Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Sekirei was okay, but I didn't like the character designs at first. Not attractive, IMHO. But I kept watching, and got sucked into the story enough that it didn't matter. Not memorable, as I'd have to watch again to remember what happened, but I wasn't unhappy that I watched it at the end. Far "better" series have screwed up the story/end and were all over the map quality-wise. I think it's much to do with expectations. For a "serious" anime, I expect it to excel in all aspects--originality, story (especially), characters and art. For these, if it just isn't too stupid or cliche even if it's an action story, moves along at a good pace and has some good chuckles, it's "decent" per the standard mentioned.

Kanokon was just fun and over the top for ecchi. Would occasionally walk right up the edge of drama, but then smile and wink, "just kidding", and go back to having fun. Haven't finished QB. The designs didn't live up to the game art, and the story didn't grab me enough to keep watching.

There is plenty of opportunity to watch "serious" anime (though the last two seasons have not been stellar), but I like to just be entertained with mindless ecchi fun sometimes. Lately Sekirei, Kanokon, Rosario, To Love Ru and maybe a couple others (Index had its moments later in the season) have been successful in that regard. There's something about the Japanese viewpoint--the teasing and embarrassment over titillation that never leads to actual consummation, or the fact that it's animated, that makes a difference as well (RL T&A? Go to the mall or the beach). But that would be trying to be logical, which is silly in this genre.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
kill-chan wrote:
I have nothing against this show, but I wonder WHY this and queen's blade will get a sequel while other adaptations like Air Gear, Tenjou Tenge, Negima, Soul Eater, Claymore, Kekkaishi got cut even if there is enough material from the manga to go on with the story.

All the shows you listed either weren't popular enough or have manga chapters released monthly, meaning it'll be along time before there's enough material for future seasons or remakes in the case of Soul Eater.
As for the whole theme of this article, simply put, sex sells, as does moe.
The likes of Queens Blade, Ikkitousen and K-ON have proved that with ease, leaving more mature and perhaps quality titles in the dust.
It's a shame but this is the way the anime market is heading, and also part of the reason why it's so saturated.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you Vulcan, this is stupid.

So many good shows out there, that could find an audience, but Japanese studios are choosing the dregs to remix and drink again.

Baccano is deserving of a sequel.
One Outs is deserving of another season too.
And for gods sake, finish Giant Robo too.

Hey, there's a place in anime for a bit of T&A, but this I feel is too much. Seeing this kind of thing makes me want to not buy any anime. I know japanese fans need their dose of regular wish fulfillment crap, but this and the debacle of Queens Blade is just dumb.

But hey, I forgot, its all about what sells. Good luck with that. Guess I still have more Darker Than Black to be happy about.

I just wish the anime industry would do some market research.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spamlttrs1hAnn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm actualy looking forward to this as I have been following the manga. The first anime series was alright... but it did not make me want to buy the anime. Hopefully the second season will be better.

I like a lot of funny stuff, embarrasing situations or anything with a lot of laughs, has some science fiction, fantasy and charecters that have special/unique abilities is great for me, as long as it is not too silly.

I have watched a lot of funny animes like Ranma 1/2, Vampire + Rosario series, To Love-ru, Index, Toradora, Negima series (Ok... I did find 1st season's ending really bad...), Princess Lover... so Sekirei kinda fits in for me. I'm not really a fan of huge T&A, rather more towards a good story so if the anime has a good story then it should be great.

For me, it was not a surprise that there will be will be a season 2 because they did "announce" it at the end of the first season.

I'm also looking forward to To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (maybe there is a different name for it?) I think it could be interesting too... Biri Biri is an awesome charecter! Very Happy
SekireiGuy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I'd be lying if I said this series didn't irk me in a lotta ways, but I can wholeheartedly say, imho, at least, that it's head and shoulders over the "quality" presented in QB or Kanokan.

Plus, the 2nd half of the series focuses on some of my favorite. characters: Homura, Kusano and Shina, so I'm very happy to see this animated.

Are you serious man? The 2nd season will focus on my little Kuu?!?!
OMG now i really cant wait! The first season there wasent much on her but now that you said this im even more anxious for the 2nd season. Your my saviour! ;-; Kuu is so cute, and i love her power, along with her power/wing/eye color, green. It my fav color too. Very Happy
Overall Kuu is just adorable! ;-;
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Baccano is deserving of a sequel.

Of course it is, but the Brains Base team who worked on Baccano! are now adapted a different light novel series from the same author.

Quote:
And for gods sake, finish Giant Robo too.

And the director of that is still working on the latest Mazinger Z series, not everyone is Shinbo who can direct 6-8 series per year :p
tosh9i

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Maciste wrote:
The only thing that made this show worth watching is/was/will be Tsukiumi.

Btw, that Sekirei is getting a second season is no surprise. It was kinda "announced" in the last ep. Instead of doing filler episodes (manga is ongoing and those 12 eps covered everything that has already been released up to this point), they left some seasons out, so the manga can put some chapters out.
Not a stupid idea, if you want something that follows the manga (OK, some points have been changed, e.g. the scene in the spoiler Essedus posted) and avoid the pain that is called "fillers" *shudders*.

That first season ended a year ago. And yes, at the end they'd say that they'd continue it, but that was it. For up to one year after that, we had absolutely no other indication that a second season would come. They basically left us hanging. But I'm glad that there's going to be a second season.

And to hell with that other guy comparing Sekirei to something like Queens Blade. Sekirei has an average rating of 7.5 while Queen's Blade's rating is 5.4, huge difference.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I hope we're all somewhat aware that anime is not a single company although I too want a REAL Baccano sequel, as IMO Baccano is one of the best anime series of all time, Baccano and Sekirei are from TWO different studios. So I don't see how Sekirei getting or not getting a sequel effects Baccano's chances.

tosh9i wrote:

And to hell with that other guy comparing Sekirei to something like Queens Blade. Sekirei has an average rating of 7.5 while Queen's Blade's rating is 5.4, huge difference.

I wouldn't read too much into those ratings. Series like queen's blade usually get blasted on the basis of what they are instead of how they actually execute. Unfortunately, those series don't conform to are our views (or misconceptions) that all anime should be high class(often times pretentious) art . It be interesting to see actually watched Queen's blades and have other criticism aside from tits.
kinchan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
ok!!! i dunno why other guys said this is stupid... well maybe because of their interest!!

anyway i'm a fan of sekirei although the story kinda wierd and it doesn't make sense to have girls fight and get killed? (did someone die?) with each other?

all i can say is i want to know what will happen at the end!!!

i vote for kuu though Very Happy
KILLERBOB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know why it doesn't say the release date for this? Like it did show it was soon but then it just disappeared does that mean its not coming out or?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3