• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Chi's Puffs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
That collection is monstrously gorgeous, and I was certainly impressed to see both volumes of Faust on your bookcase!!! That's what I like to see!!! My envy knows no bounds.

Hey, is it okay to send a video for the self life thing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
That's two votes against Dragonball Evolution from both Zac and Bamboo, making sure to warn us good. Now I know that if I ever do check it out, out of sheer curiosity, I'll wait until it's broadcast on TV (I'm predicting SyFy). If it really turns out that I've really wasted my time, like I did once with Howard the Duck, then like said title it's not like I've wasted my money at least.

Bamboo, if you're reading this: I'm interested in sending pics. Do I just send the basic e-mail, with the pictures as attachments? (apologies if this is a silly question, I just want to make sure)
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote
Heh. So the guy has 3k to blow on anime per month, yet his TV pic has him showing off an illegal rip of Code Geass R2 from the Japanese TV station TBS.
Just lost my respect right there. If ya got that sort of money, buy the DVD/Blu-rays.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:59 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Heh. So the guy has 3k to blow on anime per month, yet his TV pic has him showing off an illegal rip of Code Geass R2 from the Japanese TV station TBS.
Just lost my respect right there. If ya got that sort of money, buy the DVD/Blu-rays.
He should...time travel to the future in order to buy the final episodes of R2 on DVD?

Curious.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
Tim Nguyen ?

Is he like, related to Vu Nguyen, co-founder of crunchyroll?

(that would explain the fansub on the TV... ha!)
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote
Tim Nguyen wrote:
Spend like 3k a month on stuff.

Bamboo wrote:
Supposedly he copied and pasted that from some other profile he has, but I forgive him, because I'm completely jealous of his anime budget. Seriously, I don't even make 3k a month.

I don't even make 3k a year. Crying or Very sad I thought I had a nice collection and my budget is only $100 a month. But really, spending 3000 on Anime, manga and games... when do you possibly have time for it all? If he has that much money to spend I would imagine he'd have to work, I don't think I could get through 3k's worth a month even if I didn't have to work or go to school. It'd be one thing if he was blowing most of it on expensive figures but he said he's only been collecting them for a year...

Yeah, I'm jealous, what can I say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:44 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:

And because we oh so know those real BluRays will have the English subs so thankfully put on them.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
Super awesome shelves this week. Are those FATE/STAY NIGHT and SHANA Petit Nendroids in front of the TV? I didn't know they made those. I don't think I could spend 3K a month on anime/manga even if I bought everything I wanted every month. I think I'm one of the few people who liked MOEYO KEN, though it's one of those shows where I have a lot of fun while I'm watching it, but I don't recall much of it when it's over.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:

Everybody else has said what I was going to, so Rolling Eyes

I, on the other hand, found the TBS watermark quite funny Smile
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
What I wasn't really expecting was for the script to be so insultingly bad.

I'm quite surprised at this statement, simply because history has shown your expectation has rarely, if ever, been met with previous franchise releases.

Or did you not see the entire video game franchise fiasco?

To think Hollywood would ever do justice for a series is difficult to believe. And this, Bamboo, is why I cringe that Cowboy Bebop will be tarnished.

I hope, and hope, it will not be, but the evidence is already showing me otherwise. Keanu Reeves as Spike. While I've nothing against Keanu, I just can't see the comparison. If they've, meaning the studio, goofed this badly already, I can only shiver at the actors to be named for the remaining roles.

Thus, it is now my contention to expect bad, bad movies and hope this expectation is now ruined by a good movie.

As for Chi, going to have to watch those. I love cats (own 3 myself) and a good anime about them is always a benefit. I find myself counting the number of series I own which have at least one cat in them.

I don't think I've found one yet without one.

Meow.

I enjoy your reviews, Bamboo. Well written and without the soapbox rhetoric. While I may not agree with some of your reviews, it's refreshing to read one without needing to feel I have to shower for being bombarded with indirect criticism for liking what I do.

Well, off for now. Read ya next time...
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
Hrmm. So Bamboo, would Dragonball: Evolution be a good contender for a drinking game movie? "Hey, they said 'Dragonball,' everyone take a drink!" Wink

I admit I entered the contest hosted by ANN a week or so ago to win a free copy of the movie on Blu-Ray, but only because it came with other stuff that I actually wanted. So if by some weird chance I win, I'll need to know if there's any way to make the movie watchable. LOL Laughing
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
You know whats weird? DB:E is one of the most downloaded movies ON PSN and I think fairly high on XboxLive too... wow. I hope they at least made back all the money they wasted making this movie. I too was one of the optimistic ones hoping for something fun and entertaining. But it would have been better just being a random sci-fi martials arts movie rather then an adaption.

And good gawd we are getting some nice collections and shelfs lately. I just make under 3k and most of that goes to utilities and living expenses. And student loans.... curse you college! Naw I'm kinding. Stay in school kids. EDUCATION!
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
James Marsters can steal MY dragonball any day. Wink

But seriously. I have a morbid curiosity to see that movie, just one of those "It can't be THAT bad... can it?" moments. I probably won't see it anytime soon, but I just know the first time it's shown on tv, I'll be there to watch it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Is he like, related to Vu Nguyen, co-founder of crunchyroll?

I know you were probably joking, but Nguyen is a very common Vietnamese name.

Petrified Jello wrote:
To think Hollywood would ever do justice for a series is difficult to believe. And this, Bamboo, is why I cringe that Cowboy Bebop will be tarnished.

Why?? Frankly, I think the reason the Hollywood adaptations have failed so far is because they picked the wrong anime to adapt, either ones that weren't that good to begin with or relied on the nature of animation to lend themselves some believability. Cowboy Bebop seems like a natural thing to adapt into live action.

That said, I am on the facebook group asking Keanu Reeves to not play Spike Spiegel...

Quote:
Although the story isn't the most clear, it's provides a good vehicle for the animation, which packs a lot of flash and pizzazz.

I actually found the plot really clear when I watched it the first time. True, it's not particularly deep, and could have stood to be several episodes shorter, but as a light, fluffy series, I rather liked it. I wouldn't really call it a "guilty pleasure," though. More like an I-needed-something-with-a-happy-ending-at-the-time sort of deal.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
Yes, $3000 towards anime a month, and the dude still gets criticized for having a fansub up (never mind the fact he'll probably buy the DVDs anyway). Geez, people here can be overly critical sometimes.

I, for one, was too focused on the cat in the first picture. Look at his expression and his fist/claw pumped, like, "yeah, anime, WOOT!!!" Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4