• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Boys over Flowers (Hana Yori Dango)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justinhyll

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I know the show ended before the manga did. If I wanna know what happen after the anime ended. What mange volume shoud I start with? I don't wanna get every volume, but maybe I should.but just wanna know want happens after she runs off with Tsukasa.
NekoYousei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
justinhyll wrote:
I know the show ended before the manga did. If I wanna know what happen after the anime ended. What mange volume shoud I start with? I don't wanna get every volume, but maybe I should.but just wanna know want happens after she runs off with Tsukasa.

You wanna start with v18, it starts after spoiler[the incident with Shigeru, at her hot spring house.] Everything that happened after that in the anime never happened in the manga. You will run into one character who is not in the anime (and we've already met him earlier), but really has a minor, very minor role.
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
now adding to never ending list of "to-read" manga. *sigh* i wish i could just download it to my brain.
scortia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Wait, Hanadan is buried? Well, I've been a fan since forever ago, even before Viz bought it. I typically hate shoujo romance but this series is just brilliant, albeit the manga has a couple of arcs where the reader just gets tired of there being excuses for our favorite pair to not be together.

You know, Kamio actually chose Tsukushi's ultimate love interest because her fans overwhelmingly wanted that pairing over her originally intended pairing. I'm cool with it, we get why he's so screwed up,... just look at his mother. (I love how I'm being cryptic when it's obvious 6 episodes in who Tsukushi will likely end up with - spoiler[Tsukasa])

The manga had some great stuff after the anime... which the two live action series covered a bit. Meteor Garden II being the most HORRIBLE representation ever conceived of... extending Tsukasa's amnesia for something like 30 episodes. Most horribly written season of anything ever. Hana Yori Dango 2, the live action, was pretty good and covered some later arcs likespoiler[ Tsukasa moving in next door with Tsukushi].

This series is just ridiculously endearing, and I highly suggest all of Yoko Kamio's other titles. They all sort of have similar cliches, but I still love them... unlike, say, Watase and her constantly regurgitated characters and bad romance. Cat Street was an AMAZING read, dealing with a school full of teenagers who all had to leave normal school for different reasons. The lead, for instance, was a child actress and had a horrible trauma on stage and became a shut-in for years. Kamio currently has a wrestling series, I'm unsure if it's still running or if it's completed yet.
justinhyll

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
NekoYousei wrote:
justinhyll wrote:

You wanna start with v18, it starts after spoiler[the incident with Shigeru, at her hot spring house.] Everything that happened after that in the anime never happened in the manga. You will run into one character who is not in the anime (and we've already met him earlier), but really has a minor, very minor role.

Thanks NekoYousei for letting me know.
Kaze no Akai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Satsuki, if Justin Sevakis or anyone wants to truly understand HYD, they must read the manga. He entirely missed the point of the story Mad Mad
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Kaze no Akai wrote:
I agree with Satsuki, if Justin Sevakis or anyone wants to truly understand HYD, they must read the manga. He entirely missed the point of the story Mad Mad

umm just because he has a different opinion doesn't mean he missed the point of the story....
NekoYousei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
You really don't get the entire story or the entire depth of the story unless you read the manga...I think that's what's kaze no akai is trying to say.
I have to admit when Justin said the line about he expected Makino showing up at a battered women's home with a young kid (something to that extent), I was really taken aback. From JUST the anime, you really do not see what Doumyoji gives up and goes through to CHANGE from his violent & rich brat ways.
The manga is just another experience completely. I'd love to here an updated view from Justin on this series after he read the manga. Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
Quote:
As a guy, I've always wondered what the hell it is women see in us.

From a girl's perspective...I couldn't stop laughing after I read this. Anime exclamation That's the best one-liner I've heard in a lo~ng time. Cause, in my opinion, you're pretty much right. lol
I'd say it's pretty much the same as we see in women, but slightly different. In the end we both want the same thing, just in a different way.
BTW it's 36 volumes to the manga, I ought to know as I just now finished the manga. Worth every penny. Wink
NekoYousei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Elves wrote:
Quote:
As a guy, I've always wondered what the hell it is women see in us.

From a girl's perspective...I couldn't stop laughing after I read this. Anime exclamation That's the best one-liner I've heard in a lo~ng time. Cause, in my opinion, you're pretty much right. lol
I'd say it's pretty much the same as we see in women, but slightly different. In the end we both want the same thing, just in a different way.
BTW it's 36 volumes to the manga, I ought to know as I just now finished the manga. Worth every penny. Wink

There's one more volume coming out in October, "Jewelry Box". It's what the Japanese movie is based on...or the manga is based on the movie, I can't recall! Razz But the Japanese drama movie is available tomorrow in the states..."Hana Yori Dango Final" Smile
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The thing is the manga is not the buried treasure, the anime is. His comments are based solely on the anime.

i give up.
Maohar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that you have read both the anime and manga of boys over flowers. Currently I am reading and watching it and I just got to the part where it parts. Where Tsukasa goes to NY and they have different ways of bringing tsukasa back. I wanted to know if the manga ever joins back up with the anime. I don't want to be like watching the anime and find out that like someone died and then 10 volumes later that happens in the manga. So do you know if the manga ever catches up to the anime? it splits at the end of vol. 9 of in the manga and the end of vol.7 of the anime.
supersqueak wrote:
Lol I only signed up for this website because I saw that article about Hana Yori Dango. Okay people do not judge Makino and Domyoji's relationship until you have read the manga it is way longer and in depth than the anime. For some reason the anime got cut short. spoiler[Tsukasa had to do a lot to totally earn Tsukushi's love and respect yeah a lot of you probably see Tsukasa as brutish and he is but Tsukushi is no angel herself she is so stubborn I would hit her myself. In the manga Rui does NOT end up with Shizuka!! He and her parted ways in canada and she married the french guy along the way he realizes he loves tsukushi but steps aside for Tsukasa to pursue a relationship with her. He loves Tsukushi till the very end. Tsukasa and Tsukushi do not run off on some kind of cruise together!!! After more struggles he goes to new york to learn how to run his company and she continues on to college at eitoku. They eventually after 4 more years get engaged. Both characters do end up growing up quite a bit more. This isn't a stupid manga like hot gimmick where the guy physically, mentally and sexually abuses the heroine and they live crappily ever after. Tsukasa Domyoji was not originally even meant to be the love interest it was suppossed to be Rui but Tsukasa was more popular and Yoko Kamio grew to love him too. So don't be mad if he isn't your cookie cutter knight in shining armor.]

I myself only discovered this anime and manga last year. It annoys the hell out of me that Viz didn't do more to advertise this anime or give it a box set. I am struggling to try and collect the DVDs and the volumes of the manga. It's not easy. Please give this anime/manga a chance it is well worth your time. It didn't spawn up to 4 live action dramas because it's crappy. Yeah it's kind of old and so the animation and music aren't as hip as some of the other stuff out these days but the story is great and timeless. Any time some one asks me to recommend a shojo or high school anime/manga I tell them HANA YORI DANGO!! It will become one of your favorites if you let it. And that is the end of my long over the top post.
NekoYousei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
As stated above, the manga parts ways with the anime at volume 18. Many events happen in the manga that don't happen in the anime even within the 18 volumes...I believe you are at a part in the manga where that event didn't happen in the anime. I'm sorta confused by your wording. =w=lll
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4