• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Weekend Atlanta to Host Yasuhiro Imagawa

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedLeader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote
Woah, woah, woooooooooooooah, there! Easy with the economics lesson, Professor! Imagawa is the one going on the trip, not the entire board of directors at Bandai. No one is saying fan support will do anything here, heaven FORBID! But last I checked, the Captain is also HUMAN. And as much as humans love money, they also love feed back and support for their work. Especially artist-types like him. Do you honestly think he's going to have same cold, hardline approach to the issue as you? In the end, the fans may not accomplish much but there's more of a chance of their support being recognized and followed through on than if everyone just sat on their hands and did nothing, which has a guarranteed 0% success rate. And furthermore, considering the DVDs won't even start hitting store shelves until just before his trip, how do watching the fansubs available a week after broadcast ANY different than watching them on TV for FREE in Japan? Or is the show airing on a paid cable or satellite channel or something? If that were the case, I suppose I could see your moral dilemma, but... Even so, sitting around and pretending the show doesn't exist because the DVDs aren't out in Japan won't accomplish anything either. I want a domestic release and it's my sincere hope those who go to the con let Mr. Imagawa and the licensors attending know that Shin Mazinger exists and we want it. I know Funimation is the main sponsor of the con I'm going to this fall and even though Funimation has never done a Super Robot series before, I WILL let them know I'd like this show (and also demand where my second season of Galaxy Railways and OAV are!). Perhaps you think that's naive, but it's better than resigning myself to bitter despair.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
I know Funimation is the main sponsor of the con I'm going to this fall and even though Funimation has never done a Super Robot series before, I WILL let them know I'd like this show (and also demand where my second season of Galaxy Railways and OAV are!). Perhaps you think that's naive, but it's better than resigning myself to bitter despair.
If I was a representative from FUNimation at the convention you'll be going, it's fans like you with your support who can show real market value of a series through your actions. And I would be hard pressed not to be convinced into licensing the series.

However, it's not about economic but rather, it's about knowing how people at Bandai think in Japan. And as long as they only believe in "money talks", they won't be listening to the likes of you anytime soon. Because they are more than willing to listen to a system that worked to their advantage, as oppose to them having faith in people's passion. Remember that even though Captain Imagawa is only a human, but your real enemies are the ones in Japan from Bandai, who work for a system that don't listen to its people's voice. And Bandai is the one that has the content distribution right of Shin Mazinger Z, not Captain Imagawa.
AU_Gundam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
Except from some recent sales figures, Mazinger merchandise IS selling well and that despite getting the midnight slot, it actually had a good amount of visibility.

So yeah, money PLUS feedback may actually help, rather than money only. Bandai can't expect to profit from a fanbase if it doesnt listen to its feedback, because then, it would be forcing itself on the fans with what they want, and fans/consumers only buy what the consumer's want.

Your statements would mean something, however, if the show was down the drain, which it isn't , so feed back has more bearing because it is supported by coin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2