• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AliceAlter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
Jirapatien wrote:

am looking for all kind of Human- robot romance and intimate relationship manga....Even Hentai is ok for me .
PS. I read Chobits and Absolute Boyfriend ... i kind of like it Anime smile

thanks in advance
J

1. Pure Marionation (Manga - Yuri) - Up to the end I enjoyed this manga as it had a decent story. It's about an android named Anon who is enrolled at an all girls school. The story is a typical all-girl school yuri manga, but it also adds on a small level the ideals of acceptance and what it is to be "Alive." My Rating 5/10
(Average Rating 7.12/10 {MyAnimeList.net})

2. Time of Eve (Anime, Live Action Film - Manga) - Time of Eve is a very well told story taking a deeper and more mature sociological and philosophical look at humanoid AI and their relationships with humans which includes even falling in love. (My Rating 9/10)
( Average Rating 8.37 / 10 {MyAnimeList.net})

3. Boku no Marie (Anime OVA / Manga) - I have not seen this series, but overall it gets an average rating of 6.47 / 10; not too shabby. The story is about a lonely college student who makes his own "girlfriend" and the struggles and hi jinks that follow.
(Average Rating 6.47 / 10 {MyAnimeList.net})

4. Karakuri Odetto (Manga) - This is a great looking manga that I also have not seen, but from the description it's promising. The story is about a female robot who wants to find the true meaning pf what it is to be human. To accomplish this she enrolls in high school and begins her journey learning about relationships, romance, heartbreak, and other joys and pains of being human.
(Average Rating 4.85 / 5)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tony K. wrote:

My apologies, but I did not expect for forum rules to be under Feedback so I didn't look there. I will make note of that. With that said I don't really appreciate being linked to such an insultingly worded thread. I understand moderators work for free, but you do represent ANN and I was considering subscribing to ANN. If your thread is indicative of how users are typically addressed I'll have to rethink subscribing.
Kamui2001

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Just saying you should read ghost in the shell. It is also a manga but is better known as an anime. If your interested in anime watch psycho-pass and paranoia agent Twisted Evil
Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Kamui2001, some elaboration on why you are recommending it is expected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LarryWilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
im looking for some new manga to read,
some series that im quite fond of are:
Berserk
Homunculus
Zetman
Koe No Katachi

Im interested in alot of seinen manga, something plot driven, and slice of life sometimes
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
have you read dorohedoro? it sounds like it'd be right up your street.

Its a gritty violent series with some humor and some side stories about the daily lives of people in the hole/magic user world.
ordenax

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Just wanna know how good is Haikyu? Does it have magic realism like Tsubasa and Prince of Tennis?
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read Tsubasa or Prince of Tennis; I would say it is realistic but as much, as say Oofuri. It's a very fun but tense read at times and I would highly recommend giving it a shot. If you're not keen you can always drop it... But I think once you start you're not going to want to stop! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Desertking22

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
What manga would you suggest for my collection? I'm pretty much opened to anything but hentai , shojo works and so does shonen. I have:
Bleach
One Piece
.hack//XXXX
Attack on Titan
Yu-Gi-oh! (only like the original)
Fruits Basket
Magic Knight Rayearth
Magic Knight Rayearth II
Deadman Wonderland
Shaman King
Nisekoi
Juvenile Orion
Tengu-Jin
Ranma 1/2
Naruto
Another
.Hack//The Legend of the Twilight
Death Note
I Am Here

like I said I'm game for anything good to add to my collection.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Also any good translated light novels?
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
@ Desertking22

I recommend anything by Rumiko Takahashi, especially Inuyasha and the "Mermaid" stories.

A Shounen Jump series that I really like but never hear much about is Buso Renkin. It is from the creator of Rurouni Kenshin, but it is really a lot more like Bleach.

For light novels I like Full Metal Panic and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Both of those also have manga that is fairly faithful to the novels, and rather good in themselves.

Last edited by Touma on Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I think you'd enjoy Blue Exorcist. It seems like a stereotypical shonen series at first, but it's really well written and the characters are likeable. If you liked Magic Knight Rayearth, then you might enjoy Angelic Layer and its sort of sequel Chobits Angelic Layer seems like a battle shonen at first, but it's surprisingly deep. Chobits is set in the same universe and says a surprising amount about human/computer interaction. It's quite a bit more ecchi than Angelic Layer though.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
^
This made me realize that I did not mention Cardcaptor Sakura.
I am not sure, but I believe that I was thinking for some reason that CCS was on the list that Desertking22 gave.

But I do recommend Cardcaptor Sakura because it works on many levels. It has action and adventure and it explores aspects of family, friendship, and romance. You do have to be able to accept the concept of romance involving prepubescent children. And, much more difficult for some, between one of those children and her adult teacher. Fortunately that latter relationship is not really central to the story, and in all cases it is strictly romance. There is never any hint of a physical relationship.

And I will second Chobits and Angelic Layer.
Those are my second and third favorite CLAMP series, and would probably both be in my top 25 of all manga, if I ever make that list.
Chobits does have a little bit of nudity and some implied sexuality. Nothing explicit though.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Question, how is the Evangelion manga and planetes? Also I love sword art online anime are the manga any good?
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Planetes is brilliant, but good luck finding it for a reasonable price. It's been out of print for years.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Also is D. grayman any good? Or Fairy Tail?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 33