• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Desertking22 wrote:
Can someone help find me some manga recommendations. I'm looking for some great quality boy love manga or gender swap manga.
Also how is Citrus?

I read some really good gender swap manga recently:

Artificial Maiden - Pretty disturbing and entertaining horror story. It deals with individualism and is a bit different from most shoujo manga in that sense: a Frankenstein style alchemist doctor finds a highscholler boy's brain on the street and uses it when assembling his "love", Nina, a reconstruction (that the doctor made of human parts he found) of a mentally retarded girl he liked about 15 years ago who died when she ran into a precipice. There is a lot of fantasy elements, including the fact that "Nina" can turn into a butterfly magical girl type and stuff. There are scenes that can be also interpreted as rape.

Idol Pretender - This romantic comedy seinen manga has a more humorous tone compared to the dark serious above: super manly highschool teenager drinks what he thinks is cold medicine and turns into a super cute girl. He gets into the idol business to try to raise money to buy that "cold medicine sgain". It's also very entertaining and funny, with a lot of comedy involving the former male lead trying to deal with his newfound "feminine side" and is full of crossdressing characters as well. Hardcore otaku stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:29 am Reply with quote
I want amanga with chibi art style similar to panty and stocking artstyle or similar
Or chibi style where the characters have big hands and feet
Similar to this
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/04/06-1/panty-stocking-manga-artist-illustrates-sailor-moon-cast
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Hello all! I've been looking for a Japan-based historical manga, but one that doesn't require an in-depth knowledge of Japanese history to understand (I can never get my head around all the different clans, and basically need a diagram with me to remember who's who). I'm especially looking for something with a focus on everyday life over fighting and battles.

I've also heard that Ooku's good as an alt-hist book, but that the translation can be off-putting. Can anybody let me know how awkward the translation is, if at all?
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:26 am Reply with quote
Ooku is a good series, but how off-putting you'll find the English depends almost entirely on how much you like Shakespeare-style dialogue. I view it as a subset of English, so I have more trouble with it than perhaps others might. The choice to translate it that style was done to mirror the "ye olde Japanese" style that the original was in.

House of Five Leaves may interest you. It's about a small operation of kidnappers for profit. So it doesn't focus entirely on every day life stuff, but it sounds like you more want not a ton of obscure clan stuff, so it fits that.
Kaze Hikaru might also be enjoyable for you, it follows a girl who wants to become a samurai, and it involves famous historical figures as well. Though it will have a lot of fighting involved. But for history, there you go. Unless you're more looking for more "what life was like back then" sort of thing (someone else might be able to help more with that one though)
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
If you are someone who enjoys classic Shounen manga, or if you're new to reading manga, I think the two manga series I'm about to recommend will be a great start to your journey of reading manga! :3

Rurouni Kenshin is a great classic of the 90s Shounen manga you can start with. If you like historical or samurai based manga, this manga is the one for you. It has lots of action, drama, tragedy, very very little romance, and has that good old samurai type of series plot you might like. Rurouni Kenshin is about a former assassin known as Hitokiri Battousai, now known as the rurouni (wanderer), Kenshin Himura. He becomes a rurouni and wanders the countryside of Japan offering protection and aid to those in need as atonement for the murders he once committed. Along the way, he meets many friends and runs into some old enemies and some new enemies. Even though this manga is Shounen, it has a bit of a Seinen feel to it being a bit darker than most Shounen manga, but not over the top like most Seinen manga.

Fullmetal Alchemist is a great classic of the 2000s Shounen manga you can also read. If you like steampunk or alchemy-based manga, this manga is the one for you. It has lots of action, drama, tragedy, very very little romance, and is an all around awesome manga. This manga takes place in a fictional world. Fullmetal Alchemist is about 2 brothers, Edward & Alphonse Elric, who, as kids, perform human transmutation (a taboo in alchemy) to resurrect their dead mother. This causes Edward's left leg and Alphonse's entire body to be taken away. Edward sacrifices his right arm to rescue Alphonse's soul, binding it to a suit of armour with a blood seal. After this, their childhood friend Winry Rockbell gives Ed an automail arm and an automail leg. Edward is invited by Colonel Roy Mustang of the Amestrian to become a State Alchemist to research a way to restore Alphonse's body. Edward succeeds, becoming the Fullmetal Alchemist, the title based on his prosthetic automail limbs and use of alchemy involving metal materials. Three years on, the Elrics search for the mythical Philosopher's Stone to achieve their goals. The brothers, along with their new friends they meet along the way, run into many powerful enemies including the Homunculi. Even though this manga is Shounen, it has a bit of a Seinen feel to it being a bit darker than most Shounen manga, but not over the top like most Seinen manga.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
How about cyberpunk Sci fi? I read Gunnm, Gunnm: Last Order and I am reading Mars Chrinicles, also read GitS, 1, 1.5 and 2, and all other stuff from Shirow, as well as Blame and Knights of Sidonia. What else is there?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
^Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much cyberpunk manga out there. I've also been looking for some too. Most of the cyberpunk manga I've been able to find are mostly from the 80's and 90's. Try the A.D. Police and the Silent Mobius manga. I haven't read Silent Mobius but AD Police was ok. The Mardock Scramble manga is also cyberpunk but I haven't read that one. Not really "manga" but I'd also recommend Old City Blues by Giannis Milonogiannis. He's a big Shirow fan and his Old City Blues comic is basically modern day, Japanese/manga style cyberpunk.

Since you've read Gunnm, have you tried Ashen Victor?. I'm a big Tsutomu Nihei fan, so I'd also recommend NOiSE, Abara and Biomega if you haven't tried those yet.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Is Clover (by Clamp) cyberpunk? I could never quite decide, but it has that look to it; sort of "cyberpunk lite," I guess. It might be worth at least looking into on your quest.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
^Oh, Clover is a good pick. Yeah, it's more "cyberpunk-lite", (some steampunk too) but I don't think it's a huge stretch. I still have the Dark Horse omnibus edition, which is quite nice.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the recoomendations. I would think there are lots of cyberpunk manga but indeed it looks like the genre is more niche than it appears initially to be.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
^Oh, Clover is a good pick. Yeah, it's more "cyberpunk-lite", (some steampunk too) but I don't think it's a huge stretch. I still have the Dark Horse omnibus edition, which is quite nice.

Got that for my gf last year myself. Now I sort of want to read it myself. Very Happy
Desertking22

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
So I started reading Haikyu!! And truth be told I'm loving it, anything else you would recommend?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
^ If you can find it, Hikari no Densetsu is a rhythmic gymnastics manga from the 1980s that is awesome in many of the same ways as Haikyu. Slam Dunk is another good sports manga if you haven't read it yet.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
It's currently unlicensed, which is sad, but if you can find it somewhere online, look for a series called Toumei Ningen no Tsukurikata. It's hands down Masuda Eiji's best work(he's the author of Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa), and is precious, emotionally powerful, short, the art is great, and has the greatest ship OAT.

nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote

What is ship OAT?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 33