• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
If you're reading Tsubasa, you may be interested in checking out xxxHolic as well, since the series frequently cross over.

Also, xxxHolic is better.

Arata: The Legend might be worth checking out as well, though I've only read the first volume of that one so far. But I see shonen and fantasy on the list and it's got that covered.
UnknownFactor-6

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
If you're reading Tsubasa, you may be interested in checking out xxxHolic as well, since the series frequently cross over.

Also, xxxHolic is better.

Arata: The Legend might be worth checking out as well, though I've only read the first volume of that one so far. But I see shonen and fantasy on the list and it's got that covered.

i read that too but i keep reading and stopping for tsubasa keep getting lost and start over. arata the legend i was told to read before but forgot it. i'll read that but i like reading in bunches not one at a time. i will start it along with dawn of the arcana when i get at least 4 more. thanks anyway
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:13 am Reply with quote
If you like Btooom! try Battle Royale, don't of your not a fan of gore and nudity/sex scenes. Also Berserk and Vagabond are worth picking up and they are more mature than most other mangas out there.

Claymore is worth giving a go, its my favourite manga, there are many twists and turns and plenty of action.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I say From Far Away. It's shojo fantasy, you tend to go shonen, but I don't personally think it's too girly either. Viz recently reprinted it, some disappeared from Right Stuf's website, but they shouldn't be too hard to find all 14 volumes all in all.

Hikaru no Go will be my shonen pick though, 23 volumes long and complete. It's also different from the other shonen you listed if you want to try out something new.

Fullmetal Alchemist has those 3-in-1s and a complete box set if you need to ask for something that can be gotten cheaper. The 3-in-1s have lower paper quality and aren't compelte yet, but are up to vol 18 I think and will probably be done within the 2014 year. For other 3-in-1s, Kekkaishi's first 9 vols are available that way (though you're on your own for the rest, and it's 35 vols long), Dragon Ball and D.Gray-Man are both coming out that way too (both up to v6 that way so far, but you can buy all of Dragon Ball in the VizBig edition right now, but some are out of print, and D.Gray-Man has singles up to 23).

For ongoing, I say Tegami Bachi, which is up to vol 15. It's for if you want a more typical shonen experience, but the setting is soooo awesome! Blue Exorcist is another good choice (up to v10, still ongoing in Japan), and Magi has just started coming out here too (only a couple vols are out right now though)
Desertking22

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
http://www.imgur.com/gallery/I3PQCGF
http://www.imgur.com/gallery/PxPIshd

Ok here's the deal, this is my only shelf it's 3 tiers, would you suggest my anime to be on top of the shelf and have the shonen jump at the bottom? Right now I have:
The Tarot Cafe volume 1-5
Ranma 1/2 volume 1
Aquarians Age Juvenile Orion volume 1-3
Shaman King volume 1,3,4
Yugioh volume 1-8
Yugioh duelist volume 1
Death Note volume 1-12
Magic Knight Rayearth
Bleach volume 1,58
I would love suggestions on manga. I'm kinda into non mainstream manga, no importing.
I love
Horror
Sci fi
Fantasy
Slice of life
be it shonen, shojo seinen doesn't matter.
The thing is I absolutely love One Piece, I fell for that series I just don't know if I can even get it, my shelf is kinda deep . Any advice? Any manga suggestions? Other than one Piece I would love shorter series to focused on.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
I personally organize my shelves based on what I want to be the most easily accessible. So, do you read more manga or watch more anime? Consider that, and it helps make organizing easier.

As for good titles:
NG Life-grab this from Right Stuf right now! Whole 9 volumes for $25, you can't resist!
To Terra-get this form Right Stuf too to help fill your cart. Should be OOP any time now, due to a contract thingy.
Parasyte-Kodansha rescued this from DelRey, so it's easy to get. 8 Vols (earlier, flipped Tokyopop version is 12 vols, get the new ones)
Uzumaki-has this nice new omnibus out for it
Fruits Basket-sometimes, things are popular for a reason. Though it popularity has lessened with Tokyopop's demise, it's still well loved and sold well because, for once, it totally deserved it, and gave me a slight bit of hope for humanity in the process
Bokurano-almost done publishing in the US (finally), 11 vols
After School Nightmare- gotta look second hand for this one, but wow was that sort of weird. And awesome
After School Charisma-clones!
From Far Away-epic shojo fantasy. Basara as well if you have more money.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
Well for me , I like both equally. I was wondering if go for 2-layers and still be able to do one piece, what kinda throws it off is the Shonen Jumps. Well besides One Piece I'd loved to do also Attack on Titan and Niseoki
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Up to you, but I can tell you my shelves are also double deep. I keep the ones I want displayed more in the front, could be I read 'em more or like 'em more. I put sticky notes on the shelves to help me know what's in back though, highly recommended.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
is this because space is an issue or is it just these are the only shelves you have?
Desertking22

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
It's honestly a mixture of both, mean my closet already is jammed with games/movies/vhs
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I highly recommend making some shelves yourself if you have the room. you can then work with the wallspace you have and craft to fit.

I did the measuring up first and then asked the timber merchant to cut the pieces for me, then it was all nails and a dab of wood glue. I fixed mine to the wall but you need not do that if you just account for some feet in the design. Honestly its not hard and it usually winds up being cheaper than buying some ready made, I found a lot of the ready made ones had very uniform shelf spacings but stuff like the highschool of the dead omnibus or the nausicaa box set are pretty big compared to other manga.
Tet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Hi all,

I'm looking for some recommendations for manga for my wife and I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to drop a few ideas (surprise stocking stuffers... deep breath, I'm not actually gonna stuff it in a stocking and get it all bent Razz)?

She's got a fairly decent sized collection already (as sure as I say that, I realize it's relative), it's mostly in boxes from our move but I'll have to dig through that at some point to make sure of what she does and doesn't have. She's traditionally been into shojo manga: Honey & Clover, Fruits Basket, Ouran, Mixed Vegetables - this type of style. In terms of anime, some of her favourites of different genres have been: Haibane Renmei, Moribito & Azumanga Daioh (of course Ghibli classics as well). A couple other favourite things of hers entertainment-wise that might give a sense of her range of taste are the Songs of Fire & Ice (Game of Thrones) books, and the original three Indiana Jones films. So the manga doesn't need to be a shojo per say, but she still has expressed a fondness for that style.

I was thinking of maybe looking into Maison Ikkoku (which I am sure she doesn't have), but really I'd like to get a bigger sense of what is out there at a high level of quality (she's less likely to spend time reading generic pulp these days, and I'd rather get her something amazing). Very recent series would be a safe bet as I don't believe she's added anything new to her collection in a couple years, but I'm open to hearing about classics from any era that hold up.

I'm more of an anime rather than manga guy myself, so any guidance and suggestions would be much appreciated.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Has she read Yotsuba&!? It's by the author of the original Azumanga Daioh manga and I don't know a person who read it and didn't love it. A Bride's Story is another favourite of mine: it has the most beautiful detailed art, and a fascinating setting (Emma by the same author is also lovely). Chi's Sweet Home is fun if she likes cats.

As for shoujo recommendations, Sweet Rein is a new release (1 volume out, of 3 total, so far) from Shojo Beat that's sweet and Christmas-themed! It's a bit on the fluffy side, but I enjoyed the first volume more than I expected to (I also like Land of the Blindfolded and Penguin Revolution by the same author a lot). Strobe Edge is another fairly recent shoujo series I'm enjoying right now. NG Life is a really great, solid story about reincarnation and Pompeii. And Kamisama Kiss is a ton of fun. (I read a ton of shoujo, but among them I think these I've mentioned are some of the more stand-out titles from recent years.)
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
I gotta second NG Life, especially since you can nab all 9 volumes right now on Right Stuf's 12 Days of Xmas sale for a mere $25. 9 vols, man! Short two vol series Eensy Weensy Monster is also in their sale. But yeah, NG Life lets you be cheap and good.

Since Viz decided to reprint From Far Away, consider that one as well. I think some vols went right back OOP, but.... although, this is an older series, so she might already have it.

Maison Ikkoku is indeed fantastic, but be prepared to spend a lot of money on it.

For the "classics from any era", go look at the Tezuka things. Oooh! Or better yet, get her The Heart of Thomas and A Drunken Dream and other stories, they both came out more recently, but these have to be full gifts, not stocking stuffers. They're both by Moto Hagio, so they're classic manga, but they only came out in the US within the past couple years. They both these gorgeous oversized hardcovers with color pages and heavy paper, they're simply sublime releases. And they should be fairly cheap on Amazon. You don't want generic pulp? Go with classic 70s shojo, never fails! Speaking of classic 70s shojo, get the Rose of Versailles anime bundle on Right Stuf too. Since she does both anime and manga, get it! Watch it together! Came out within the past 6 months or so. Oh and Right Stuf has To Terra manga as well, 70s shojo set to go out of print as of January 1st in the worst possible "destroy all remaining stock" kind of way. This'll pretty well be your only shot to get it! Make it the year of classic shojo and get them alllll!

And I'll just toss one out for Hikaru no Go
Tet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Thank you both! Amazing suggestions! Shocked

I read a bit about each of the titles you both posted and now my only problem is choosing which ones to start her with! I might just do a stack. Anime cry <- my wallet

I think Yotsuba&! is going to be a slam dunk. She had a childhood interest in Pompeii so NG Life is very intriguing. A Bride's Story, Kamisama Kiss and A Drunken Dream all look like something she could really get into. I think Rose of Versailles would be another slam dunk, is the manga available? I checked the Right Stuf bundle mentioned but it seemed to be for DVD's and an artbook, but not the manga (or is the anime the way to go on this one?).

Another series I had stumbled upon (but I need to see if she has it) Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou? Any thoughts on that?

As for To Terra, I think that might have piqued my interest... Mr. Green

Thanks once again for taking the time to offer those recommendations.

oh btw ...Chi's Sweet Home, I almost forgot! That is the one manga I have seen her buy in the last year or so, so good suggestion, but she already seems to have taken that up as a guilty pleasure of sorts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 33