• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
if we're talking about licenced english manga then YKK isnt out as far as i know. I hear its a frequently requested title and id get it myself but I've given up with the whole title requests thing as it turned into a big game of "tell me what manga you want and i'll tell you why you'll never get it"
Tet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
^

I think you're right, I'm looking around and I can't find any evidence of an English localization. Well I guess that one's not happening.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
The Rose of Versailles manga isn't available stateside. If she can read French, consider finding those elsewhere online. Maybe someday.... but the anime is awesome enough on its own. But hey, couples anime time!

For To Terra, get it ASAP before it's out of print. The TV series that Bandai put out is also well worth your time (The movie? Not as much, it's kind of like Cliffnotes. Shame that the only bit of Toward the Terra that will be officially in print after a few weeks is easily the weakest version of it)
Desertking22

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the mood for a good shojo manga, fantasy love it all except the one I'm interested in was Fruits Baskets but unfortunately to get used I'm paying a lot so what are some good alternatives?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
So I've been reading One Piece in WSJ since January, since then I started reading it from the beginning. Usually taking advantage of Viz's digital sales. I'm at about volume 4.

But... there are 69+ volumes. Sooooooo... I was wondering if there was a better jumping on point closer to where the current story is. Is the New World arc a good jumping on point to get current? It looks like that's where the Time Jump happened.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
not really as plot elements that are planted early in the story become relevant much later in the series plus you'd cheat yourself out of some great character development and world building

Stick with it, its well worth the time to read it all.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I personally would love a good horror or suspense based manga, right now I have Death Note.
I was looking into either
Doubt and Judge (love the art style)
Another
The Drifting Classroom
Uzumaki

Also how is Sanakarea: Undying Love (or something like that)

How's Psyren?
canza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone would have any recommendations for me.
My criteria would be a:
Comedy
School life
Romance
Maybe Shounen
Not Shoujo
Preferably something ongoing and newer, from 2005+.

The male lead can't be boring or useless. I am looking for a male lead who is both strong and with a big heart, and through out the story, would have some love interests, but not a full harem.

To be super specifically, a guy who isn't usually well liked by classmates from first appearance, but grows as a person, and oblivious of maybe the lead or supporting female character liking him. It would be cool for the MC to gain new friends throughout the story. And the concept can be anything, really.

Notable examples would be School Rumble, Yankee-kun to Megane-chan, Yamada-kun to 7-nin no majo, and minor examples like Hanza Sky, D-Frag, Sket-Dan, Nyan Koi! and maybe Medaka Box.

I've tried using the "search for manga with same genre" option with YanMega but I couldn't find anything. Anything remotely close will be enough, and I would appreciate the help with the bottom of my heart! I've been having free time, so I want to see what manga I can obsess over.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
canza wrote:

Blue Exorcist? I don't read a ton of shounen manga, but I like that one a lot. The school setting is secondary to the action and rather fantastical, if that's okay. Everything else about it (especially the main character) seems like it'd be a great fit for your taste!

I'm also keeping an eye on Cross Manage and Nisekoi from Shonen Jump. (Nisekoi might be a bit harem-ish? I haven't read beyond ch1 yet...) I don't know if either of those male leads are quite like you describe, but they've got the school/comedy/love-interest angles so may be of interest to you anyway.

http://www.vizmanga.com/ should have the first chapter of all three series available as a preview, and full volumes can be bought digitally (print too for Blue Exorcist, and soon Nisekoi). Hope that helps a bit!
canza

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:
canza wrote:

Blue Exorcist? I don't read a ton of shounen manga, but I like that one a lot. The school setting is secondary to the action and rather fantastical, if that's okay. Everything else about it (especially the main character) seems like it'd be a great fit for your taste!

I'm also keeping an eye on Cross Manage and Nisekoi from Shonen Jump. (Nisekoi might be a bit harem-ish? I haven't read beyond ch1 yet...) I don't know if either of those male leads are quite like you describe, but they've got the school/comedy/love-interest angles so may be of interest to you anyway.

http://www.vizmanga.com/ should have the first chapter of all three series available as a preview, and full volumes can be bought digitally (print too for Blue Exorcist, and soon Nisekoi). Hope that helps a bit!

Oh, I shall check out Blue Exorcist, and Cross Manage, seemed interesting, though I was meh about sports manga. I did like Cross Game though. And NIsekoi, I enjoyed the first 20 chapters, but I lost interest because of the excessive harem concept.
Thank you for the suggestions though!
Desertking22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Hey I was thinking my collection needs a good mystery manga that I can reread over and over....it could be a detective kind just not long like 25+ volumes.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Desertking22 wrote:
Hey I was thinking my collection needs a good mystery manga that I can reread over and over....it could be a detective kind just not long like 25+ volumes.

I suggest that you check out The Kindaichi Case Files.
It seems to me that it is a lot like what Case Closed/Detective Conan might have been if Kudo had not been turned into Conan. Kindaichi is a high school kid who is a brilliant detective.
Each volume is one complete story, except for "Kindaichi the Killer" which is volumes 10 and 11.
It is really like a series of mystery novels in manga form.

I do not remember how many volumes were published in Japan but Tokyopop published 17.
Unfortunately some of them are very rare. You can find them easily enough but they are rather expensive. I still do not have volume 9 because the best price that I could find is $50.
I do have all of the others but have not read the last three volumes yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shosakukan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I do not remember how many volumes were published in Japan

Just for your information, as to the Kōdansha Comics edition,

The "File" series: 27 volumes
The "Case" series: 10 volumes
The New series: 14 volumes
The 20th anniversary series: 5 volumes

And 6 volumes of short stories were published under the KC Deluxe imprint, and 2 volumes of which protagonist is Akechi Kengo were also published under the KC Deluxe imprint.

In the manga, Kindaichi Hajime is depicted as the grandson of Kindaichi Kōsuke, who is a detective created by Yokomizo Seishi.
The Inugami Clan by Yokomizo, in which Kindaichi Kōsuke appears, was published by Stone Bridge Press.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1933330317
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
@ shosakukan,

Thank you very much for the information.
I did not realize that Kindaichi had been that popular in Japan.
I am not too surprised though since it did have an anime TV series that ran for about three years, I think, and a few movies.
I have also seen listings on eBay for a lot of live-action movies. But usually I do not understand anything in the title except for the name "Kindaichi" so it is possible that they are about Kindaichi Kōsuke.

I really wish that some North American company would license the anime and the rest of the manga, but I realize that there is almost no chance of that happening.
It makes me sad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shosakukan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
@ shosakukan,

Thank you very much for the information.
I did not realize that Kindaichi had been that popular in Japan.
I am not too surprised though since it did have an anime TV series that ran for about three years, I think, and a few movies.
I have also seen listings on eBay for a lot of live-action movies. But usually I do not understand anything in the title except for the name "Kindaichi" so it is possible that they are about Kindaichi Kōsuke.

I really wish that some North American company would license the anime and the rest of the manga, but I realize that there is almost no chance of that happening.
It makes me sad.

You're welcome.
Yes, many Kindaichi Kōsuke stories by Yokomizo Seishi were made into films and TV dramas. Probably the most famous Kindaichi Kōsuke actors are Ishizaka Kōji and Furuya Ikkō.

An interesting thing about Kindaichi Kōsuke is that the first murder case which he solved happened in San Francisco.
Though Yokomizo Seishi mentioned it in The Honjin Murder Case (Honjin was an officially appointed inn for the use of daimyō), he didn't write a full story of the case. Later, a few writers wrote stories of this case, like Adrian Conan Doyle and John Dickson Carr wrote stories of untold cases mentioned in the original Sherlock Holmes tales.
If you saunter around San Francisco, in a sense, it means that you make a Yokomizo otaku pilgrimage.
Manga artist JET drew some manga based on Kindaichi Kōsuke stories.

Kōdansha International released some bilingual edition Kindaichi Shōnen manga, and Amazon Japan still sells a few of them.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4770040431/
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4770040415/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 33