• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa

Don't feel bad. Joy and I have a whole three bedroom ranch house. It is at least as full as you describe.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
My collection is gradually taking over the attic (my bedroom) at my parents' house. Every time I visit them, I spirit a little more back with me so that moving house next time is less painful. However, I think I'm buying as much as I've moved down there....
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
@Alan
Yes, but you seem to have a spouse who is cool with this. While Butters doesn't care (so long as we are both happy and cuddling, and she has food available, and she can rub her scent all over my books), my mom is starting to get concerned.

But yeah, I do kind of want to spend wednesday just fixing this mess, lol
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
it's wednesday and hooray! I've reorganized quite a bit. It was mostly shuffling things around, putting read things into the boxes and taking out the non-read things. I believe there's 33 series (or varying length), since I made a list. It looks like I did at least a little usefulness before, two of my shelves already had the unread things moved to the front in their entirety. A couple more had a few random things here and there, but other than my ongoing shelf and half of the Fumi Yoshinaga shelf (the other half had to go away, but two titles, Ooku and What did you eat yesterday? are mostly unread and could stay there anyway) , it's all filled with thing that need to be read on the front row! The back row though, that's mostly old stuff that I wants to keep forevers.
Oh and Butters was quite cooperative, wasn't knocking over piles as she rubbed against them to "claim" them as her own (I'm so glad that I can't smell her unique cat scent, I'm not sure if it'd drive me insane or smell too strong to me or what!)

Hopefully, my reading of more of my backlog will result in me perhaps getting rid of series soon, which will of course free up more room.

Anyway, I've made a list and numbered them (in secret, it's not alphabetical, but by where the series is located in my room/on the shelves). So, for my regular homies, pick a number between 1 and 33! First come, first serve, I'll start reading the series in said order! Perhaps that shall help! (I'll let you know what you've picked, in case you're curious, lol, or I'll just post it in the "what are you reading now?" thread.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa

Go with your age. Laughing
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@classicalzawa

Go with your age. Laughing

Lol, but my age right now, or my age in less than a week? Dilemmas, dilemmas... it's a manhwa either way, Click (which just came in), or Little Queen (which I got from you I believe)?
Desertking22

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Can someone help find me some manga recommendations. I'm looking for some great quality boy love manga or gender swap manga.
Also how is Citrus?
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Citrus is one of the soapiest, trashiest, melodramatic things I have ever read in my life but by god is it addictive.

Re: BL, would you be able to elaborate on the kind of things you're looking for? Fantasy/supernatural or not? High school or adults? Etc etc spoiler[rape ok? (it's sadly common in BL]. I will recommend Only Serious About You right away though. Think Bunny Drop, but with a single dad, and him struggling with being attracted to another guy. It's one of my all time favourite BL series.

Gender swap: So Cute It Hurts is shojo sweet enough to give you diabetes, but it's very funny. Viz are currently releasing it. There's always Ouran and Hana-Kimi, which are both classics.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Desertking22 wrote:
Can someone help find me some manga recommendations. I'm looking for some great quality boy love manga or gender swap manga.

That, my friend, is called an oxymoron.

In terms of "quality" that all depends on what you absolutely can't stand.

If you hate rape/sexual assault/screw you until you love me, then that's about 60% of content that I can't recommend spoiler[(sorry Yoneda Kou)]. Same with anatomy or any form of cruddy art style that belongs in an abstract museum. I don't read/own alot of genderbending manga except for Ranma 1/2 so, perhaps Yamada and the Seven Witches?

Let's see, "quality" BL:

Heart of Thomas by the legendary Moto Haigo is a must own for any BL or old school shoujo fan. I love my hardback copy from Fantagraphics and the bonus content from Matt Thorn was great. It's melodramatic but, enjoyable nonetheless. Most manga from the Year 24 Groups are worth reading if you can find it.

Fumi Yoshinaga is always a safe bet; excellent manga artist in general. Yes, I know What Did You Eat Yeasterday? and Antique Bakery are actually food manga and Flower of Life only hints at it but, she's one of the few manga artist that treats homo/bisexual men as people.

Fake by Sanami Matoh. Until I die, I will always recommend this series even if her art's a bit dated. Doubles as a buddy cop manga set in 90's NYC.

Rihito Takarai has some good ones such as Seven Days. Yamamoto Kotetsuko has some adorable slice of life manga like Honto Yajuu but, not much available legally.

Asumiko Nakamura but approach her with caution. I find her line art devilishly gorgeous and her sense of negative space masterfully seductive but, she can go from cute, saccharine puppy love (Doukyuusei which is getting an anime film) to super mature themes (All about J). Sadly, few of her manga are available legally.

Hinako Takanaga's short series can be hit or miss. I liked Challengers and Croquis but Awkward Silence was a tad odd near the end. Tyrant Falls in Love...not recommended if you hate spoiler[forced sex] or tsunderes.

Est em has such painterly art style and love of Spanish culture but, like Asumiko, be wary of her mature titles. Seduce Me After Show is one of my favorites along with her beefy centaurs.

Check out titles from SuBLime, some I need try out myself but, can't go wrong with Love Stage and Embracing Love. June Manga are mixed nuts; Caramel was cute. There are certain scan groups that translate great manga/LN that haven't come to the US yet but, I can't post them in the forums.

Hope I haven't scared you away from my unnecessarily long recommendations.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Or gender bender or cross dressing would be awesome and as for boy love rape sure, I want ones that are just great to read. Supernatural/fantasy or even slice of life.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:16 am Reply with quote
For cross dressing, definitely Basara, especially if you want fantasy as well. A boy is the "chosen one" trope, and he's murdered in the first chapter. So the twin girl, Sarasa, takes over her brother's position to lead le revolution. Only a few very close to her know she's pretending to be her brother, everyone else assume she's a guy.
And then, in not-disguised form, she and the main enemy general meet at a tiny wild hot springs. They have no idea who the other one is, but the fact that they will become the main couple of the series is immediately evident to the reading audience. And this still happens in volume 1. So she's both leading the revolution as her brother, and starting to fall in love with the main enemy as herself (while neither one having any idea)

As for BL, Heart of Thomas, as listed above, though it's a different sort of BL where there's no, quote on quote "action" in that sense. If you need some action though, check out literally anything by mangaka Fumi Yoshinaga. About half of her works are BL (though her non BL is awesome too and frequently has gay characters in it just because), and even if you cut out all those scenes, it'd still be a damn sexy manga. Because she is made of talent.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
BL manga such as His Favorite and Awkward Silence avoid rapae and are a fun read otherwise a good "genderbender" read that is kore adult is Wanderig Son, it's not BL but it takes a very mature view on transsexualism and being teansgender, especially from a young age.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Hi all, I'm not too sure if this is correct place to ask, but here goes.

I'm searching for licensed yuri manga starring adults. Most of the yuri I've found features high-school girls, and anything with adults has usually been out-of-print for years. If anybody could give me recommendations for (currently available) manga or publishers who deal with yuri, I'd appreciate it a lot.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Licensed yuri is pretty rare to begin with. Pretty much everything which is licensed I can think of is high school based (I own most of it). Seven Seas is the main publisher which licenses yuri at the moment, though there are some smaller ones such as One Peace too.
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks! I've not heard of One Peace, I'll check them out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 33