Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
classicalzawa
SubscriberSubscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
AMB involves a Japanese girl (with red hair) who is "bought" by a strange creature with a large deer-like skull for its head. She ends up being introduced to the world of mages, alchemy, and magic. But since the series takes place in Europe (I think England?), you won't find Japanese yokai here, but you will find many Celtic and European legendary creatures (for example, Oberon and Titania, Silkies, animal familiars, dragons, faeries). But people definitely enjoy the manga for its impressive world building (we the audience tend to see the world built as our main character, who is from outside the world, learns and views things) and enjoyable cast. Actually, seeing Chise start to get used to using her own magic kind of reminds me of Steven (from Steven Universe) slowly learning his abilities.
Alan45
Village ElderVillage Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I would like to second the recommendation on The Ancient Magus Bride. Not only is the world building fascinating but there is an ongoing sense of wonder that is absent from a lot of magic stories.
st_owly
SubscriberSubscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'll 3rd Ancient Magus' Bride. It's a great fantasy series that's not like most fantasy manga. Alan described it very well.

Kamisama Kiss is good too, I just didn't mention it because of the length.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 33 of 33