• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Syfy's Ani-Monday Block Lists Monster Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Never thought I would see the day when Monster would air on TV over here. Awesome news. Maybe this will finally get Monster the exposure needed to release those supposed live-action films?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I've heard great things about Monster, and I definitely want to check it out. Is this series dubbed, or is SyFy airing it subbed? The article doesn't say.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see this get on TV (hopefully the dub will be bearable) , but Monster isn't exactly a sci-fi (excuse me, "Syfy") series, though.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I'm glad to see this get on TV (hopefully the dub will be bearable) , but Monster isn't exactly a sci-fi (excuse me, "Syfy") series, though.

It is an odd choice, as there aren't even any definite supernatural elements to the show either. Still, this is good news. I'm kind of dreading finding out just how much they are going to cut out so they can fit in more commercials though.
bigheart711

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
The day has officially come (Not yet actually)! But isn't Monster also going to the FUNimation Channel like Nana and Honey and Clover?
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Will Monster be available on DVD too then?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
It'll take a while to screen all 74 episodes. That said, I'm sure there exist many who'll be happy to tune in every week: I believe this is one of the most-enjoyed series not to have been released in R1. I can see a DVD release working if this venture is successful, perhaps with three or four 'collection' releases encompassing the series as a whole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Will Monster be available on DVD too then?

I'm pretty sure Viz said they'd be releasing it sometime this winter.

This is surprising. Monster on the Sci-Fi Channel...never thought I'd see the day. (fudge the name change; it's still "Sci-Fi" to me! Change it back to how it was! If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT! Evil or Very Mad )
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
bigheart711 wrote:
The day has officially come (Not yet actually)! But isn't Monster also going to the FUNimation Channel like Nana and Honey and Clover?

I'm not sure about the channel, but their On Demand service doesn't.

I just died and went to heaven. This makes up for Gundam 00 and Rave Master in spades. I love you SyFy even if your name reminds me of an STD.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
This is good news. I think I will wait for the DVDs, but will probably check out a few episodes online to hear the dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Not to go off topic, but Sci-fi's name change just baffles me. What's "Syfy" supposed to mean anyway? Did they want to try and expand their audience and programming beyond the usual Sci-fi stuff? Maybe they had the same logic as Midway with Mortal Kombat (spelling it different is EDGIER!)

Anyway I'm curious to see what these Voltron and SF Motion comics are all about.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
Not to go off topic, but Sci-fi's name change just baffles me. What's "Syfy" supposed to mean anyway? Did they want to try and expand their audience and programming beyond the usual Sci-fi stuff? Maybe they had the same logic as Midway with Mortal Kombat (spelling it different is EDGIER!)

SyFy doesn't mean anything, that's why they changed their name to it. They couldn't get the rights to the common word "sci-fi" so they just dropped it for their own word that they could market for themselves. They've also official expanded beyond science fiction (though it's really always been that way) and now promote the channel as a place for "imaginations". In a sense they really just expanded themselves to all forms of fiction (including wrestling which they've been showing for a while).

So I would say Monster does fit on the new SyFy as much as anything fictional does now.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bigheart711

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:

About a month ago, The_Libertarian_Otaku said that "Syfy" was a polish word for "crap". The spelling butchered the edge of Sci-fi's new name.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Monster? As in the Monster with Johan and Tenma and Germany and all their zany friends?! O' Happy Day!

In all seriousness, considering how long the DVDs took, I never expected this series to release here, let alone on TV. I will be tuning in, schedule permitting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4