• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fingers crossed for Blu-ray.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ASSMAN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if there's already been a topic on this (probably) but since anime is slowly making its transition over to blu-ray what series do you people really hope to be released? Which animes do you think would most benifit from a format upgrade, or which could use Blu-ray as an excuse to release a new decent edition?

What I'm most hoping for is a R1 edition of 'Mushishi' which should be any month now considering it got such a nice Japan release.
A single disc version of 'Furi-Kuri' would be a dream come true. There'd be plenty of room for tons of extras too.
One of the most obvious choices is 'Mononoke' which still hasn't been licensed over here. And have it include 'Goblin Cat' from 'Ayakashi.' You know they could make a gorgious box considering all of the available artwork.
I'm also hoping for a nice release of 'Trigun' even though it isn't known for its animation. Especially for me since it seems to have gone out of print in America.
And my last pick would be a slick release of 'End of Evangelion' unless the new quadrilogy knocks it out of the water, which I doubt.
Oh and I'm still waiting for the damn 'Whole Bloody Affair' version of the complete 'Kill Bill' to come out, which is going to include a newly created anime segment to go along with O-Ren Ishii's origin.

Last edited by ASSMAN on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:00 am; edited 3 times in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't care too much since I don't own a Blu-Ray player or an HDTV yet. But my answer would be, "any high-profile TV series that aired in HD and has a Japanese BD release." Like Code Geass and Gundam 00. I don't know how companies expect to compete with the 720p and 1080p Blu-Ray rips floating around if they're not attempting to do Blu-Ray themselves. Heck, even crappy station-upscaled 720p HDTV rips were hailed as "better than DVD," and that was nearly 4 years ago now.

As for what else could benefit, probably most shows made before ~1998 and after 2005. As I've learned from ANNCast and other threads, any non-theatrical anime created between those years would just be SD-upscaled if released on BD.
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad that i had a ps3. but i only have couple of blu-ray anime boxset so far. Shigurui: Death Frenzy & Basilisk. But meh, i think ill stick for the regular dvds for now, since it takes some time for the blu-ray edition of the certain anime i like to be released. But i hope they release a blu-ray version of Honey & Clover
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting a bit tired of upscales myself. There's not much of a point to it.

There are three shows I especially want to see get a Blu-ray release in the US: Soranowoto, K-On, and Bakemonogatari. But any sort of US release would be awesome for them (heck, I'll even take VHS).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
ASSMAN wrote:
What I'm most hoping for is a R1 edition of 'Mushishi' which should be any month now considering it got such a nice Japan release.

That would be nice, but I'm a complete skeptic with FUNimation's releases now. Their DVDs were notorious for bad to mediocre video transfers. Now I'm reading reports of their BD series getting shoddy treatment as well. Not all, but a few of the more recent releases like D.Gray-man, Samurai Champloo, and Tsubasa are said to contain various instances of heavy artifacting, color banding, Digital Noise Removal, then the big slap in the face with the occasional lossy audio treatment for the Japanese tracks (2.0 Dolby Digital, seriously?, not even PCM 2.0?), whereas the dub gets at least TrueHD or DTS-HD 5.1 100% of the time, which serves me absolutely no purpose since I don't care for any of their dubs.

It'd be nice if their library were all competently encoded with equal treatment between language tracks and such just like the Japanese releases, but I'm really finding it difficult to expect anything more than mid-grade products from them anymore.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping for a domestic release of the Zeta Gundam Blu-Rays. Huge improvement on the video quality of the DVDs.

If Bandai Entertainment releases those, I will forgive them for the fiasco with their initial DVD release of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
ASSMAN wrote:

A single disc version of 'Furi-Kuri' would be a dream come true. There'd be plenty of room for tons of extras too.
One of the most obvious choices is 'Mononoke' which still hasn't been licensed over here. And have it include 'Goblin Cat' from 'Ayakashi.' You know they could make a gorgious box too considering all of the available artwork.
I'm also hoping for a nice release of 'Trigun' even though it isn't known for its animation. Especially for me since it seems to have gone out of print in America.
And my last pick would a slick release of 'End of Evangelion' unless the new quadrilogy knocks it out of the water, which I doubt.

Good news: according to the Anime source insert that came with my bluray of D. Gray Man, a Mushi-shi bluray is going to be released on the 20th of April (xxxholic is also getting one on the 6th, can't wait for that one).

Personally I'd like to see Black Lagoon, GITS: Stand Alone Complex, Gankutsuou, and Evangelion to get the blu ray treatment. I'd like most new shows coming out from now on to be at least considered for a blu ray release, but of course I don't expect niche titles to get special treatment. Oh, FUNI just released the RIN Dvd, but I'd like to see a bluray of that one as well.

But most of all, I'd like Funimation to increase the quality of their releases. As others have mentioned their are some problems with the some of the releases. But what irks me to no end is that Funimation insists on using that flimsy piece-of-crap slipcase to house the multi-case releases. I would be a happy man if they started using chipboard boxes!!! I think the quality, as well as the potential for damage, of the flimsy cases isn't acceptable. I would glady pay a little extra to get a chipboard box, but I might be alone on that one. Embarassed
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
The big one that I would probably go out and buy a BluRay player or PS3 for would be when or if Macross: Do You Remember Love? gets a BluRay release. Seeing as all the principal Gundam movies have gotten their releases, as well as the Patlabor movies and Bubblegum Crises, this might be the last big one that I'm waiting for. Five Star Stories recently its release in BluRay as well, and as expected it looks fantastic. The best part about DYRL is that after enough time, you don't even need subs anymore, the dialog is ingrained in your head.

Other movies include the Gundam 0079 Trilogy, just because.

Evangelion could use a remastered BluRay release. There's still a lot of gorgeous detail there, and it's a no brainer that it would sell in Japan. But personally, I'd like to see all of Gunbuster also remastered on BluRay, not just the excised bits for the movie version.

penguintruth wrote:
I'm hoping for a domestic release of the Zeta Gundam Blu-Rays. Huge improvement on the video quality of the DVDs.

If Bandai Entertainment releases those, I will forgive them for the fiasco with their initial DVD release of the show.

As someone who basically watched Zeta for the first time using those BluRay rips, I can say that it was definitely worth it. There's an immense amount of detail and quality in that show that other 80's TV series can't even hope to come close to. But I'd think that Char's Counterattack and Gundam F91 would also need to come over. They also looked spectacular in BluRay, which made up slightly for their pacing.
Randall Theil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:29 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
ASSMAN wrote:

That would be nice, but I'm a complete skeptic with FUNimation's releases now. Their DVDs were notorious for bad to mediocre video transfers. Now I'm reading reports of their BD series getting shoddy treatment as well. Not all, but a few of the more recent releases like D.Gray-man, Samurai Champloo, and Tsubasa are said to contain various instances of heavy artifacting, color banding, Digital Noise Removal, then the big slap in the face with the occasional lossy audio treatment for the Japanese tracks (2.0 Dolby Digital, seriously?, not even PCM 2.0?), whereas the dub gets at least TrueHD or DTS-HD 5.1 100% of the time, which serves me absolutely no purpose since I don't care for any of their dubs.

It'd be nice if their library were all competently encoded with equal treatment between language tracks and such just like the Japanese releases, but I'm really finding it difficult to expect anything more than mid-grade products from them anymore.

The only anime I have on blu-ray are Paprika and Samurai Champloo, so I can't comment on the rest of their releases, but I thought the upscale on SC was the best I'd ever seen it (watched it fansubbed before), and it has 5.1 true hd Japanese and English audio. Since it was released in December, maybe that means they're listening.

I've been selling my anime DVDs with the rest of my DVDs since I started building an HD collection, so I'd happily double dip for any good show, but I definitely think they should prioritize films and recent anime, since those will see a noticeable quality improvement.

It's tough for shows that were made for 3:4 aspect ratio though. I used to make fun of people who bought full screen DVDs that cut off the edges to make the picture fill their screens, but now that I have a widescreen TV, rewatching stuff like Eva and Utena in 3:4 is annoying.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote
Hey as long as DVD is still a well used format I am going to keep buying them. They are getting quite economical now Smile Blue Ray is going to be expensive for quite some time I think. So I am waiting until the prices lower before I start buying Anime in Blue Ray. I also don't actually know what sort of difference BD is going to make to Anime I mean most of it is digitally animated well below the maximum resolution of a DVD if i am correct?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
Randall Theil wrote:
It's tough for shows that were made for 4:3 aspect ratio though. I used to make fun of people who bought full screen DVDs that cut off the edges to make the picture fill their screens, but now that I have a widescreen TV, rewatching stuff like Eva and Utena in 4:3 is annoying.
I've had a few chances to watch 4:3 anime on a 16:9 screen, and I don't see how it's any more or less annoying than watching 16:9 material on a 4:3 screen.

[quote="darpachief"It's hardly relevant (or particularly accurate) to use fansubs as some kind of benchmark to compare to offical releases.[/quote] It might be relevant in some cases, but Samurai Champloo's airing fell squarely within the XviD/SD-400p era of fansubbing.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
Randall Theil wrote:
The only anime I have on blu-ray are Paprika and Samurai Champloo, so I can't comment on the rest of their releases, but I thought the upscale on SC was the best I'd ever seen it (watched it fansubbed before), and it has 5.1 true hd Japanese and English audio. Since it was released in December, maybe that means they're listening.

I've been selling my anime DVDs with the rest of my DVDs since I started building an HD collection, so I'd happily double dip for any good show, but I definitely think they should prioritize films and recent anime, since those will see a noticeable quality improvement.

It's tough for shows that were made for 3:4 aspect ratio though. I used to make fun of people who bought full screen DVDs that cut off the edges to make the picture fill their screens, but now that I have a widescreen TV, rewatching stuff like Eva and Utena in 3:4 is annoying.

It's hardly relevant (or particularly accurate) to use fansubs as some kind of benchmark to compare to offical releases. The brouhaha with Champloo is a direct discrepancy between the DVDs and the Blu-rays. The BD release is a slap in the face of BD consumers - Champloo is yet another number to the body count of botched FUNi Blu-rays. You writing that off as "hey, beats fansubs" and the remark about 4:3 makes me wonder if you don't work for FUNimation or something...
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
then the big slap in the face with the occasional lossy audio treatment for the Japanese tracks (2.0 Dolby Digital, seriously?, not even PCM 2.0?), whereas the dub gets at least TrueHD or DTS-HD 5.1 100% of the time, which serves me absolutely no purpose since I don't care for any of their dubs.

I bitched about this issue in another thread. Some commentators suggested that the original Japanese version is also in 2.0 so a 5.1 track isn't available. It seems to me that the US licensors could remix the Japanese audio from the original multi-track masters, but that's apparently more work than they're willing to invest for the small fraction of R1 viewers who want to listen to the Japanese track.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote
Stuff that I want BD for:

Kaiba, Ghost Hound, Casshern Sins, Kurenai, Gundam 00, Soul Eater and Code Geass.

I also want Naruto Shippuuden. I don't think the show is actually made in HD, but the upscaled fansubs and CR episodes look significantly better than when I pop in a DVD of the original series and stretch it to fit my TV screen. I'd really prefer that they rescan the cells or re-render stuff to HD, but even if they can't do that the upscales that TV-Tokyo does are light years better than what my DVD player can do.
rebecca1/2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Were I a distributor I'd be very hesitant to offer an expensive blue-ray release for something that half the market share thinks it's okay to download somewhere on the internet. If you're raking in the dough that you can afford to risk losing money on it, okay, but I wouldn't want to make that a habit either.

I don't see the point of Blue-Ray myself, I mean this is 2D hand-drawn or computer generated animation, even if you watch the original master the quality is only going to be so good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2