• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Sheh's All That

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
jenseki wrote:
I just listened to the podcast. Great work guys. Zac you do need to get closer to the mic. I think I was too close. And BTW, when you said "F*** pie." I really thought that was the type of pie you liked.
Shocked

Steph

I did too! I about lost it there at the end as a result. Laughing And then I realized I was being retarded. Crying or Very sad

Really good show this time. There is so much I want to respond to that I don't know where to start. In fact, after a long days work I don't think I can. Or at least make sense.

I will say I hope dubs stick around for the long run. I don't think the industry will have very much promise without them. With the quality of dubs these days generally being good, I would hate to see them disappear from my favorite visual medium. I wonder if I should send in pictures of my collection to companies.

I do have a suggestion for the podcast though. Can you make the flash player a bit longer? See, having an index is great. But having such a small space represent 40+ minutes it is hard to jump around without basically cutting something off, or having to still listen to 35 seconds of something you don't. Having a longer face on the player will allow for more precise jumping. Like for instance, when you want to skip a great, but thoroughly annoying classic clip. Anyway, not a big deal but just wanted to throw that out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
That might be why many hardcore otaku won't buy download-to-own, but it sure doesn't get them off the hook for DVDs. But the rationale doesn't matter. Some people will find any excuse to not pay money. It's pointless to argue with defense mechanisms.

It will always be something. DRM, font color, translation, karoke, etc. The truth is: no intention of buying ever for a wide swath of "fans". How can a company compete with free?
On the dub issue: I love a good dub, recently, Lucky Star, Beck, and the Air Movie for me. Even Magikano was saved by the dub for me. Strangely, all of which probably should have never been dubbed to start with in the current market. Tough times, I will buy what I like, regardless of language and hope for the best.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
What was the name of the last anime she like?
in the podcast
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Anime fans are so fickle. They complain about the English language dubs when they get them, and complain when they don't.

You know, the pool of voice talent for the Japanese dubs isn't a whole lot deeper than the English dubs.

If people want dubs to have more variety in VAs, they should buy the product. This vicious cycle starts when people don't buy anime DVDs because they dislike dubs, then they can't afford to make dubs with more VAs, so people complain there isn't enough variety in the voices.

A good dub isn't usually that important to me, but it may be the difference between buying a bilingual disc right away or waiting for later until it's in cheap boxset form. It helps a bit for an anime to have at least a decent dub. Bilingual discs are great, but if the dub isn't good at all, it makes you long for a cheaper, sub-only disc.

Good cast. My favorite moment of the episode is when Stephanie Sheh says, "Eureka (EWREKA)... you know, Eureka (UR-EEKA)." We're all still scratching our heads over how to pronounce that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
I'd just like to chime in that I thoroughly enjoyed this (as well as the previous few) podcasts. Even if I haven't seen the title(s) in question (which seems to be more often than not) I quite enjoy hearing intelligent, witty folks converse, especially about subjects in which I like to think I am somewhat peripherally knowledgeable.

P.S. Cake is definitely much preferred to pie on my part. There's something too-condensed/"squishy" about pie that I've never cared for...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
Just a quick technical comment.

I noticed that both podcasts you've released have been encoded at 128 kbps. If that's a conscious choice, that's fine, because it sounds good. But at the same time, if bandwidth is an issue, most/all of the other podcasts I listen to are encoded in the 40-64 kbps range, some even at 32 kbps (espn), and they don't sound bad either. Since it's just voice and not music that you're recording, the higher bit rates are not as necessary. Anyway, just a thought.

Some voices actually sound better at lower bit rates, too.

Also, y'all are way behind on cake vs. pie. Those guys even have t-shirts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:24 am Reply with quote
I'm shocked that any discussion of "great anime directors other than Miyazaki or Oshii" could go by without including Hideaki Anno, Satoshi Kon, or Katsuhiro Otomo. At least ONE of them deserves mention whenever that category is brought up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:39 am Reply with quote
kikiyo2 wrote:
If only there was "free marketing" that Mrs Cheh speaks of... oh wait... there is - and it's the same thing she keeps (hypocritically, I might add) demonizing. No wonder the American/dub industry is tanking. They keep blaming the fans. Anyone with any speck of business sense knows this is retarded. And there's no way I'm going to pay their inflated, ludicrous prices when they don't even offer what I want (HD subbed digital files). And until they do they're going to keep in this downward spiral. I get so sick of these people playing the pity card. Yes, anime is going to die because we don't have your precious dubs Rolling Eyes. But just keep blaming us fans instead of giving us what we want if it makes you sleep better at night.

To quote Barney Frank talking to you would be like talking to a dining Room table I have no interest in doing so.
Shale

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
If they release it without the DRM, it'd be up on Bittorrent within seconds and maybe 5 people would pay money for something they can get for free from another site. Within a few hours it would be streaming on all the crappy illegal streaming sites. Basically the same scenario we have now with fansubs, except now they had to pay production costs on the pirated version.

You want what you want, but it's unreasonable to expect them to comply with something that would clearly backfire on them in every conceivable way.

Licensors know this, and are not entertaining the idea of download-to-own unless someone figures out a way that wouldn't result in wholesale piracy one way or another. I don't blame them.

To play devil's advocate for a moment, what changes, in a practical sense, in that scenario? Pirated copies of licensed shows would be freely available all over the Internet, but pirated copies of licensed shows are already freely available all over the Internet. People would download the illegal copies instead of buying legit ones, but that's not exactly unheard-of now, either. So what difference does it make whether they're downloading fansubs and DVD rips versus official digital releases? They're not physical goods - the company doesn't have to produce a new file to replace one that gets stolen. The only question is whether the people who currently buy DVDs would be willing to buy digitally instead.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Not to be an ass, but to argue the point:
"If every anime convention attendee bought 1 DVD (presumably, per year?) everything would be fine"
Anime Expo attendance was around 45,000, Otakon was around 25,000, let's add a few between the two and call those 72,000 combined. the rest of the top 10 in North America crested 10,000 to various degrees (8 cons) let's call that 100,000 people. Tack on a con every week (52) at about 2,000 per for another 104,000 (some do significantly better than that, some do only some hundred so let's call that an ok ballpark).
104,000+100,000+72,000 = 276,000. Let's call it 300,000 just to have a nice round figure (and include some outliers).

In 2006 (easily found number) anime releases numbered just over 600, it was estimated to be around 500 for 2007 according to this:
animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2007/nyaf-icv2/icv2/whitepaper
Let's cut that in HALF to 250: 300,000 / 250 = 1200 people per DVD. (which is way below the needed threshold, eh?)

Now, that ASSUMES that all the people at "anime" cons (which are now pushing more for promoting BANDS and video games and "Raves" and cosplay over "anime", a trend that I do NOT like) are anime fans, which I (as a once & future con director) do not believe. But even if so, the math simply doesn't work. And I point this out because I (respectfully) think that people like Ms. Sheh STILL aren't reading this market right. This is why you market and sell to the NICHE and then build the niche. I'm sorry, but the fad ran it's course and thinking anime is going to return that "printing money, tamagotchi in the mainstream" thing is wrong-headed.

EDIT: I also want to add, PURELY AS AN OPINION, many of the "fans at voice actor panels" are not as much "anime fans" as they are "groupies". I can't PROVE that per se, but try sitting the Japanese director, character designer and other "staff" for most any anime (mangaka on a FEW exceptions would be otherwise) at a table next to American voice actors and watch what happens. If you don't even pay any attention to the (non-voice) staff of an anime, I don't see how you're a "fan" of it. If you only care about the VA, you're a fan of the VA.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
So what difference does it make whether they're downloading fansubs and DVD rips versus official digital releases? They're not physical goods - the company doesn't have to produce a new file to replace one that gets stolen. The only question is whether the people who currently buy DVDs would be willing to buy digitally instead.

There are still plenty of people who prefer physical media and would drop anime completely if the only option was digital distribution. While there are people that watch fansubs to preview a series, there are people that further still want to own an 'officially sanctioned' physical copy once it's been licensed. So in addition to losing many of those customers, they'd have to deal with the people who download the free pirated stuff instead of paying for the official releases.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
(stuff and...) The only question is whether the people who currently buy DVDs would be willing to buy digitally instead.

Now I recall hearing that point before, but you put it very well. And I agree. Any digital technology can be broken or bypassed eventually, or if it can't be broken, it's going to be too complex to legally and cost-effectively deploy into a complex, constantly changing global market of formats and devices. The fundamental problem is that it, like most law, penalizes all non-offenders in order to try and stop the 5% who don't care about your law anyway.

DRM has caused far more cost and trouble than it's ever been worth because it nearly always prevents people from using in legal ways the content they purchased, either now on or on next year's new device, and for that reason has been dropped in nearly every case by major music publishers. It's a bit more feasible for larger file sizes like DVD/BD. But in my travels on the Net, I don't recall hearing about any DVD or BD that can't be downloaded illegally in its original content form today. Gaming has had good success controlling content, but not complete, and god forbid the producer/distributor of your favorite game goes out of business. Your new single-player game is over without a server somewhere to talk to now.

The problem will only worsen the longer digital content is withheld from honest customers. The Millenium generation has already reached maturity as the first digital generation, and the next is right on their heels. But the majority of the population in technologically advanced countries in fact are still not savvy enough to steal their DVDs digitally even if they thought to do so.

Waiting, while the percentage of savvy users, and more importantly users brought up on "free" content, increases is going to make it just that much more difficult for producers. Because in the end the solution is not likely to be technical, but social. Music has learned that, and it's almost certainly a lesson that video will have to learn as well. The reason 30+ year olds aren't the problem with piracy isn't just because they don't know how to do it, it's because they were brought up on paying for what you get.

Point being... keep selling nice boxes of DVDs to those who want them, but right now start selling the best version possible in digital format to as many as will buy it. Get a trend going of paying for it instead of stealing it, and get that ingrained into the next generation and into the culture as soon as possible.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
KoujiTamino wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
The anime industry has to stop doing business like it's the 80's and 90's. or it will be history as well, and there is no reason dubs can not be a part of that. Wink

How about the fact that getting rid of dubs completely will alienate an entire community and fanbase built up over the past 2-3 decades? Is that enough reason for you?
Erm, Sorry I don't understand your question there.

jsevakis wrote:
Well, that's just the problem. The ad supported model doesn't hypothetically need to make back the revenue lost from TV sources (there never really was much to begin with in this country), it needs to make back the revenue lost from the decline of DVD sales. Right now, ads from streaming don't pay very much at all; companies make more money selling 10 DVDs than getting 1,000 streams. I do think streaming is the future of anime (and while nothing is currently the quality of a 720p fansub, I think our subscriber streams are about 480p fansub quality). It's just a matter of how we can make it work, and how soon.

Quote:
The fansubbers won't buy legal products for fear of it being DMRed.

That might be why many hardcore otaku won't buy download-to-own, but it sure doesn't get them off the hook for DVDs. But the rationale doesn't matter. Some people will find any excuse to not pay money. It's pointless to argue with defense mechanisms.

Quote:
The anime industry has to stop doing business like it's the 80's and 90's. or it will be history as well, and there is no reason dubs can not be a part of that. Wink

It sure is easy to SAY that. Now try and find a business model that works!
I believe they already have, but there's no magic wand. It's not going to improve things overnight. It is going to take a while, maybe in another two, to five years it will start to pay off. I agree right now DVDs are the meat and potatos of the business, and I prefer it that way personally, but I'm an old git and set in my ways. There will always the freeloaders in the entertainment business, there always has been throughout history. But now they will have to dig even deeper to come up with a good, but still lame, excuse for not buying it. I'm thinking about the fans of the near future. The companies will have to set the seeds of profits soon if they want to harvest a fresh crop of anime fans in 5 years time. Some already have with Ad supported streaming. Things will start to pick up again when this recession lifts and people have new jobs and spare money to spend again. It's all ready happening in Japan where people are starting to feel positive about the economic future. It's always darkest before the twilight dawns to see mighty oaks, from little acorns, grow. Wink

If Dvd's went the way of the Betacam, and later VHS tape and the only way I could see it legally was via digital downloading. I would lament it's passing, but then buy the down load if
1) had hybrid tracks, and
2) I could then burn it to a disc for archiving.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
The only question is whether the people who currently buy DVDs would be willing to buy digitally instead.

In my case, and I spend hundreds of dollars on anime DVD's a year, hell no.

The existence of legal digital alternatives (which I have nothing against as long as they're not the only option) in no way makes wanting to own a physical copy any less desirable, and "burning it yourself at home" just isn't as nice.

I'm guessing that, if the industry ever went primarily download-only, the way to appease us physical media die-hards would be that there would be some kind of on-demand DVD/BD burning service where you'd make an order and the Right Stuf, or whomever has the replicating equipment, would burn a copy for you with commercial-quality labels and packaging.

I'd accept something like that if that was the only way to get a legal physical copy without importing directly from Japan, though I'd still rather support my local bricks-and-mortar anime retail store.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

In my case, and I spend hundreds of dollars on anime DVD's a year, hell no.

The existence of legal digital alternatives (which I have nothing against as long as they're not the only option) in no way makes wanting to own a physical copy any less desirable, and "burning it yourself at home" just isn't as nice.

I'm guessing that, if the industry ever went primarily download-only, the way to appease us physical media die-hards would be that there would be some kind of on-demand DVD/BD burning service where you'd make an order and the Right Stuf, or whomever has the replicating equipment, would burn a copy for you with commercial-quality labels and packaging.

That idea is kind of cool - having the packaging being optional, and available to those who want to spend the extra money to get it.
The idea of the industry going download-only scares me (sorry for being over dramatic) as I have absolutely no interest in watching computer files for all my anime.
It's just too much of a hassle, because essentially I'd have to hook a computer up to every TV in the house in order to watch something.
I spend a good chunk of money on anime, at the very least $500 a year (probably way more though) and believe strongly in supporting the industry, however, if they went download-only...well, let's say that I'd be saving a lot of money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7