• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Sheh's All That

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
If Japan/USA wants to help us buy the DVDs and have simultaneous streams, then region blocks need to be fixed. All regions should be able to legally enjoy it.
Hachiman76

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
First off, i'm a "Voice Actor Nerd", if such a thing exists, so let me gush for a second. Stephanie Sheh! Ah, i'm such a huge fan! one of the first voices i learned to identify by sound! i could tick off at least 15 shows off the top of my head she has been in, and has ROCKED in all of them!

...okay, i found that composure thing i lost. now, as for the state of dubs, i really hope that they stick around, not just because voice acting is my absolute dream job (seriously. it's been my dream since i was twelve, all of six years ago. if i could do that as my career someday, i can honestly die a happy man), but because, at the end of the day, i prefer a good dub to a great sub. some shows i watch in japanese because it's essential to the experience, whether due to a bad dub or a distinctly "Asian" flavor to it. but generally speaking, i like to watch the show without having to keep shifting my focus. not for laziness sake, i just enjoy it more that way.

because let me be honest here, although i know several scattered phrases and words, i do not speak japanese in the least, and as such will always be more able to relate immediately to a show in which they are speaking in english. again, i do watch a lot in the orginal japanese, including the past few shows i've seen ("Gankutsuou" and "Mushi-Shi", both unbelievably good), but still, dub is just where i'm most comfortable.

and for the record, i am a seraph of the church of cake, thank you!
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
Hachiman76 writes:
Quote:
i prefer a good dub to a great sub. some shows i watch in japanese because it's essential to the experience, whether due to a bad dub or a distinctly "Asian" flavor to it.

The same goes for me. Some shows I will eventually watch I might want to go sub only but will keep in mind the dub might be just as good.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for bumping this, but I just wanted to say how you guys threw me off while I was watching Sword of the Stranger tonight.

I went into it thinking that the Chinese was completely fake, just sounding like Chinese, because of the way you described it in this podcast. And that's how I watched the whole film.

But then I checked after watching, and it turns out it was all real Mandarin! Even though the Japanese voice actors were apparently pronouncing it horribly (which is what you were actually alluding to in your podcast), the other Chinese characters actually had Chinese voice actors, and actually spoke good Mandarin (from what I hear; confirmation would be nice).

So my point is, be more clear next time. I know Justin often clears things up during the podcast when the topic might be a bit obscure, and it would have been nice for him to do that here, too.

Other than that, I've really been enjoying these podcasts so far, so thank you and please keep it up. Smile
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
wait, what? you guys are talking about Directors and no one brought up Makoto Shinkai? i mean, i know he hasn't done much, but pretty much everything he's done has been a hit. i even remember ANN having that article about the "international makoto shinkai day". <.<

as for my own favorite? Yasuhiro Yoshiura. he's got a super similar style to Shinkai, only he focuses his stories on robots/is inspired by i,robot. well there's him, then Koji Morimoto and Michael Arias from Studio 4°C. and then though i dunno about his director abilities, but i absolutely love Tatsuyuki Tanaka's art style.

i don't get why you guys say you want more originality in anime, but then compare the movie Sword of the Stranger to currently airing TV series. i agree there isn't much hope for the TV market, but as for movies coming out, there are so many that look so interesting and original.

you've got ones like Studio 4°C's joint production with a russian studio, First Squad. Then Summer Wars looks like Girl who Leapt Through Time meets Louis Vuitton and Takashi Murakami. also yeah Musashi looks like a pretty generic samurai film (kinda like sword of the stranger), but it's at least taking a realistic and historically accurate approach, right? and that could be awesome. nothing more original than real-life. then Cencoroll looks like something we've all seen before, but it still looks pretty sweet. and iirc, Eve no Jikan is gonna get the ONAs compiled together as a (theatrical?) film, which will be amazing. man, i know there are more movies coming out that look sweet, but those are what i recall off the top of my head.

i dunno. i just think you shouldn't compare movies to TV series.. like, you compared tformers to the ecchi-romantic-highschool-comedy market, but i'd say that that anime market is more comparable to our reality TV market. I don't think they produce anime movies like we produce junk films here.. though they are doing this new like "finish telling the TV series story through a theatrical film" business that we find with Munto TV and then with Eden of the East getting what, like 3 theatrical films? i guess that could be compared to our situation, but still...

heh, you guys interviewing these voice actors.. makes me wonder if i should maybe give the english dub a chance on the next dual-audio i get :\
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7