• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Thermae Romae TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is an unexpected license.
Altacia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
This one looks frightening.

Anime cry
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, can't say I saw that one coming.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I know they deal with cult status shows... but I don't think this even qualifies....

I mean, have you ever watched something on cable TV and wonder why the heck it's so popular and the answer is "Because we're Americans and we like crap like this". This show seemed like something Japan-centric for that sort of reason. This is like some Japanese company selling DVD's of Storage Wars: Texas or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I had to look up the ANN info of this title cause the name didn't register in my anime memory bank. Other than the summary, I'm not sure what to say about the title. Besides that it's barely a year old and only has a hand full of episodes. I'll check it out when it's released cause I like to support Discotek by buying any anime title or some of their live action titles.

Though I would be more excited if they licensed something like Hols Prince of the Sun or the sequals to Project A-Ko. Course they previously annouced licensing a couple TV shows and movies so I'm not complaining when they are bringing in a lot of great stuff to the US.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
Part of the most successful manga-based J-franchise of the year................... yet nobody knows anything about. Laughing
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
Lol at the blond Roman...so like the Japanese to think all Europeans have blue eyes and blond hair.
VinceA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:51 am Reply with quote
I'd heard this was licensed a while ago but never would have guessed that Discotek was the one. Good for them. This can be their "we don't just license old stuff" license Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote
Awesome!! But now i feel kinda bad as i was going to buy Siren Visual's release this month but it appears that i might just wait now since this way i don't have to worry about the Ratings from AUS releases on the packaging.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quote
Cool. Not sure I'll buy this because I've seen it fansubbed and I don't feel a huge need to rewatch. I hope someone gets the license to the live action TR movie - that I would buy, for sure.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:49 am Reply with quote
What a wacky title to license. If they're going down that road, I would love to see them pick up Yawaraka Sangokushi Tsukisase!! Ryofuko-chan.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Part of the most successful manga-based J-franchise of the year................... yet nobody knows anything about. :lol:

Well, more people will know about it soon, since the manga should be out in less than a month.

I'm curious about it, but since I rarely blind-buy, I'm not sure if I'll pick up this noitaminA mini-series. It's nice to see Discotek license a newer title, along with all of the good antiques. ^_^
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Man, that is an unexpected license. Siren Visual licensed this series awhile back. I just hope that Discotek knows what they're doing and doesn't spread themselves thing. Now all I'm waiting for is someone to pick up the other season of Higurashi, Dennou Coil and Re: Cutie Honey. Oh and since we're on vintage can we have some awesome 'Nagarebosh Gin'. I can use some OS dog fighting anime.

Good job on Discotek.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap! I never expected them to license something like this! This has to be their most recent (as in time period. This came out in...2011?) license yet! Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1