• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can you get too old for anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guildmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that, because anime's popularity only really started to boom in the mid-to-late '90s, the big population which first got interested in anime as teens during that time are only just now starting to reach their early 30s?

This phenomenon has already struck in RPGs and struck years ago in scale miniature games. I recently attended Gen Con, one of the world's largest pure gaming conventions, and probably well more than half or the regulars in many of the role-playing areas (especially in the Dungeons and Dragons areas) were in their 30s or older. If you look at tactical miniature games, you can probably bump that up to 40s or older.

Granted, some people do "age out" of such hobbies (or regard themselves as having done so because they see it as a kid's hobby) or simply have life intervene and decide that they have no more time for it (although I've seen people bring their babies to RPG events, so where there's a will, there's a way). But being too old is entirely a state of mind.

(Spoken by someone who sees that 40 mark approaching all too swiftly.)

I haven't been to a gaming con in many years, but that doesn't mean I don't still like my old SPI, AH and GDW games. I just don't have the time or space to lay them out and play them. Drang Nach Osten and Unentschieden would take up my entire dining room table, and I can do without the nuclear feedback from the boss lady.

I still like my Aurora ThunderJet 500 and AF/X slot cars, and set them up once in a while foe the nephews to play (and me too!), but they go back in the boxes afterwards.

As for D&D - no time for live gatherings, but I do have the computer SSI hack & slash games as well as the Ultima series. Again, less space taken up with the computer versions.

Wifey likes sci-fi and goes to cons, I went to one with her - picked up some old Haunted Tank comics. t was fun, but not a way of life for me.

Anime takes up little space and it's fun to watch, mostly as a mindless diversion, but some of the better written ones actually allow me to get into the plot.

There is junk on TV that is FAR WORSE than just about any anime.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
It's not that I think that I'm too old for anime, it's that I think the subject matter of popular anime these days makes me feel pretty nervous. A lot of anime these days are saucer-eyed girls who look really young doing cutesy and kind of sexually suggestive things. It's okay for people who are 14 or 15 (maybe even in their 20s) to be into these kind of things, but when someone is hitting 30 and above it feels pretty creepy to be into this stuff.

That said, I don't think I'll ever outgrow anime too much. Different anime fans have different trajectories into the fandom; going through the forum you see people who got in through nerd culture, because they are general cartoon fans, etc. I have mild Japanophilia. I think anime captures something that I really like about Japanese aesthetics in a very approachable way. There are lots of things I like about Japan (and lots of things I don't) and anime captures the things I like about Japan in an accessible, easy-to-digest format.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I never want to grow up.
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
I know someone on AIM who recently had the delusion that she was too old for anime and most other things she enjoyed. She had this strange idea that she had to begin 'acting her age' and appreciate some very serious concepts. It was quite counterproductive and seriously upset her. That being said, it was difficult for me to explain to her that she has the freedom and strength to spend her free time however she elects to do so. Is this the same sort of problem that some of the posters here have?

I guess I've thought this was as well, but it might be a bit different for me because I was already in my late teens/early 20s when I started to enjoy anime for what it is. For what it's worth, I have no plans on giving up the hobby.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I thought this germane.

vashna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:28 am Reply with quote
I really do wish a lot more anime fans would read that particular piece of verse. It's very true, and indeed constantly worrying about whether one's actions are mature or not is rather immature. A person who is mature would never need to discuss the matter because they would already know that they are.

As a bit of an aside, I'm somewhat speaking from experience since I was trying to convince someone in real life that it would be okay for him to check out Cardfight!! Vanguard if he wanted to. I have no problem with being an adult who's totally caught up with the English dub on that one.
Comet Reaper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I truly believe that anyone could go through life and still enjoy anime basically every step of the way. Not all anime, of course, because some are specifically geared towards kids, adolescents, or adults. Anime is a vast world of animation that can cover anything from graphic shows like Elfen Lied to kids style Pokemon, and don't even get me started on the ridiculous amounts of perverted variations on anime. *cough* hentai *cough*. Anyway, the decision on whether or not someone can become too old for anime is really dependent on that person's views of anime. Do they see it as a large-scale media for kid's shows (thanks 4Kids...) or as a different culture's style of animation? That's the question you really have to ask if you think about becoming too old for anime in my mind.
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
With the exception of some cases of people being creepy, I actually don't have anything against adults enjoying shows that were genuinely geared towards children for that matter. As I just mentioned I actually got a kick out of Cardfight!! Vanguard and I was recently encouraging someone else I know that will enjoy the show to watch it. While anime certainly encompasses so many various genres, as long as one is at least of age to watch the content they're watching I don't see much of a problem with it.

Interestingly, some people have the whole anti-kids idea as well. Look at this example from the Bing Dictionary for instance:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=define+anime

Check the text right above the search results to see what I mean.
Morisummer500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
There was an interview with Simon Cowell where he said, I swear! that
he still watched Scooby Doo, now if Simon Cowell still watches Scooby Doo, then why can't old farts watch anime! The point I want to
make is that if you enjoy it, just watch it, it doesn't matter how old you are. Also, anime is much more sophisticated and adult orientated than
most western cartoons anyway, except for South Park, and I know plenty of older people who watch that animation. So if some 65 year
old granny wants to watch South Park or Mermaid Melody, or if old
Simon wants to watch Scooby Doo---MORE POWER TO THEM< YEAH!
thebeats42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
I don't think I ever want to stop watching anime and reading manga. But I guess if I'm older most of my time will probably spent on some things like work but whatever happens whenever I have the time I will surely watch anime.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
With the exception of some cases of people being creepy,

And what cases would those be? How would you tell?
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
Hide your power level. Laughing
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I am above 25. I am in no way connected to the industry and my profession is totally unrelated to anime. And yet I am a big fan. I know quite a few people my age that are in a similar 'position'. The only difference between us and students who go to anime convention and profess their love for anime all over the place is that most of us work full time, some people have families, and hanging around anime conventions, making costumes, or even spending a lot of time watching anime and discussing it on forums is not something we can still afford time wise. Quite a few people that I met at anime clubs at university still love anime, just watch it at home and keep themselves to themselves.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Can a thread get too old for resurrection?

Hey, I'm 56 and I watch anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Can a thread get too old for resurrection?

Hey, I'm 56 and I watch anime.

I feel young again!!!!!!!! At 32 I'm not the old guy in the thread anymore lol. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12