• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Mushiroom Cloud

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if I missed last week's edition or it it was gone, glad to see it back.
And a random question, do you usually watch the sub or the dub for the shows? Does it vary or are you supposed to watch on or the other?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I just hope this release by FUNimation wakes up American anime fans to the various great baseball anime shows. Personally, I found the lead in Big Windup too annoying and thought it was only mediocre, but if people watching it can then lead to them watching Touch, Major, or Cross Game (and even better one or more of those titles getting licensed), then it's worth it.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:
bleuster wrote:
I loved the Princess Resurrection manga.

Ditto!
Quote:
This looks like the type of deal where a company grabs a popular item and just throws the sticks together to make an anime.

Not to mention, the content seems to be watered down.

... and having already read the dialogue, this series is going to need a significant price penalty before joining the collection.

Including the time to watch it makes the answer an almost obvious no, but just considering the time for registration part, is it worth reminding ADV who I am in order to watch the streams online?
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
Bamboo is definitely not the only one who thinks Princess Resurrection is ... not really worth watching. On the contrary, I don't know anybody who actually liked it oO;

ZelloBear wrote:
Sad day, I had high hopes for Princess Resurrection. Is there any good supernatural shows coming out soon?

Baccano? It's out already, but still quite new and a really must-see.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
I've been watching Princess Resurrection on Anime Network on Demand & have found that it's neither great nor horrible... ANoD is up to episode 15 & 15 was one of the better ones, the "squish, squish" guy was fairly funny... I do enjoy the opening & closing songs though, the animation for the closer always cracks me up with the scene of Hiro being used as a jump rope for Sherwood Laughing

Nice shelves too, I definitely agree with the others who think the carpet looks like mac-n-cheese (the spiral kind - yum). I've been trying to collect a lot of the "classics" for my soon-to-be-8-year-old daughter - we've got Sailor Moon (except Stars) & Wedding Peach & am trying to complete Saint Tail (need vols 1 & 5). Eventually, we'd like to get her Kaleidostar, Princess Tutu & CCS (if it gets re-released). Saw on another site that Sailor Moon is going to start re-airing in Japan, that's good news Cool
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed every episode of Princess Ressurection but when I finished the 2nd disc of the 2nd collection and then went to the main menu I was like is that it? Shouldn't there be more to add to the story? But alas that was a lame ending to an awesome anime but didn't really surprise me after watching the ending to Venus Versus Virus anime.
ZelloBear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

Baccano? It's out already, but still quite new and a really must-see.

Good recommendation, I've caught the first disc, little confusing, but really interesting.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I was wondering if I missed last week's edition or it it was gone, glad to see it back.
And a random question, do you usually watch the sub or the dub for the shows? Does it vary or are you supposed to watch on or the other?

When I watch anime for personal enjoyment, I tend to stick to subs. However, when I watch it for review purposes, I'll switch between the two until I find one version that I like overwhelmingly more than the other.

ReiClone88 wrote:
On a side note/question, how come there's never been someone featured on Shelf Life with a Dakimakura visible? Are they (even the discreet ones that show no genitalia) instant disqualifications?

I don't think I've seen one yet! I'd post it for sure, but so far, it seems like people are hiding them from me!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Bamboo wrote:
I'd be hiding something if I didn't also mention that Big Windup! is really homoerotic.

I think you just increased the marketability (though not for me) of this title ten fold in a way that FUNi never could. I think half the girls ears just perked up. Laughing

Catcher/pitcher interaction for the win. "I like you." "I like you too!"

Kind of lost interest in watching the Animax dub. They've shown it at least three times already. Voice actress for the coach was the only voice that was really interesting to me.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...a lolita-wearing princess...

How does one wear lolitas?

On second thought... don't answer that.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita_fashion
You could have found this with Google in less time than it took to write your post.

Hime's clothes really look more like princess dress turned black than gothic lolita.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
If any anime company wanted to venture into sports anime again, Major and Cross Games are the slightly safer bets mainly because they are newer and current. But I think going with Big Wind Up was a good start. Its good and much shorter then the other 2. Definitely on my buy list.

But have to wonder if this is kind of what those "boy's love" character designs look like. It might be the use of rosy cheeks and big guys but the series definitely struck me as a series that females would enjoy more then guys would. Then all the hand holding came up and I just thought, "Oh man, this must be alot of yaoi doujin of this series." Luckily I think the manga doesn't go any deeper then that. Also the fact that the orginal manga artist is a woman might make it easier to understand as to why the character's have such a soft design to them compared to other sports animes. She might be a fujoshi or at least familiar with it all.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
I'm going to guess that Karen's two favorite series are "Ojamajo Doremi" and "Sailor Moon"! Very Happy

I would also add Case Closed/Detective Conan, for the mystery genre.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
K.o.R wrote:
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita_fashion
You could have found this with Google in less time than it took to write your post.

Hime's clothes really look more like princess dress turned black than gothic lolita.

Confused It was a joke based on a common definition of "loli(ta)" as a noun in anime fandom and the odd image of clothing items made of said lolis. But kudos on the Google-fu anyway.
skyechan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
ReiClone88 wrote:
I'm going to guess that Karen's two favorite series are "Ojamajo Doremi" and "Sailor Moon"! Very Happy

I would also add Case Closed/Detective Conan, for the mystery genre.

E-cookies to you both; the two series were Ojamajo Doremi and Case Closed. xD I was so surprised to see my shelves chosen! Woot!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3