• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guin Saga, MW, Ode to Kirihito, Ubume Pitched for Remakes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how they will do Guin Saga. Is anime/manga/light novel entertainment in such a bad condition that remakes by Hollywood are pitched?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why they thought a movie about a (male) gay serial killer would make money. Didn't they learn anything from Cruising?
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Somebody please make it stop. I would get a little excited if I was the lest bit convinced that they would get the right people to produce these movies. But I'm not. Plust they already made an MW movie.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Guin Saga anime = decent.
Hollywood remake = to be trash
Leave Nobuo Uematsu's work where it is.
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
More manga live-action adaptations?

Finish the ones you're already supposed to be working on!
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
It'd be great if they first publish the rest of the Guin Saga novels.

btw, the first 5 novels are one Arc, so read it! Anime hyper It's a lot better than the anime imho.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:58 am Reply with quote
Guin Saga is a cool series, but I think its too big to use for a film, where there's always a rush to finish in a set time. The anime is cool, so the only way they should go beyond that is a live action series, kind of like what ABC are doing with Legend of the Seeker series.

MW and Ode to Kirihito, however, would both make great films, as both are short manga, that would be within the realms of 'not to fantastic, less chance to fudge it up street'. They should have bagged Swallowing the Earth too.

I'm also glad better mature manga material is at last being selected for adaption. And with Monster anime series at last hitting U.S shores soon, I hope that it will help the live action film adaption, to get their gears moving.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:37 am Reply with quote
The problem with MW is that a big element in the story is a foreign military base. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all the military bases in the US American? Besides, there's already a Japanese live action MW.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
My friends, it's Hollywood. They basically are willing to do so much just to make a buck. That is, they are even willing to go 4kids on movies based off of Asian comics.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Guin Saga is the late Kaoru Kurimoto's 147-volume epic fantasy novel series that has already been adapted into manga and a 2009 anime series. Vertical published the first five novel volumes and one of the manga series, The Guin Saga Manga: The Seven Magi.
I hardly think a 3 volume side story is a proper adaptation of the novels. Do you? Wink I also think it would make a great live action movie, though I wouldn't want to be the actor who has to wear that head for 12 hours.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Guin Saga would be more interesting for me if they didn't have to end up having yaoi/shounen-ai aspects in later novels.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I hate to be that guy, but with the exception of the Guyver movie (the later one, not the old one), live actions are terrible. Show me a decent anime/manga adapted anime and I show you a mecha without explosions.

I hate this type of news. It's always just "in production" but nothing ever happens. At least give us some detail or proof before this type of stuff is presented.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1