• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's 1st Tiger & Bunny BD/DVD Set Slated for February

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Relenus wrote:
I guess at this point we can give up any hope of Tiger & Bunny appearing on Toonami.

Dammit Viz, why did you have to make Neon Alley exclusive to the one piece of modern technology I don't have?

Well it being on Neon Alley has nothing to with toonami. Toonami is the one missing out.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
Yeah, that's the list that I've seen. There are other extras that I would like to have seen translated, such as footage of promotional events and cast/production staff interviews.

This IS NOT a Bandai or Aniplex release, you're shit out of luck if you want anything fancy.

That's why I'm not going to buy it. I don't expect much from Viz (or most US companies), and it's hard to spend money on these lowest-common-denominator/minimum-effort/bare-bones releases. If Viz doesn't provide what I want, they won't get my money. It may not even be their fault, since the Japanese could have denied them the extras. Maybe Viz didn't want to pay for them. Not many can say with certainty, and Viz almost never answers questions, anyway.
Brakus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Relenus wrote:
I guess at this point we can give up any hope of Tiger & Bunny appearing on Toonami.

Dammit Viz, why did you have to make Neon Alley exclusive to the one piece of modern technology I don't have?

Actually, Tiger & Bunny is available in other ways too: iTunes, GooglePlay, PSN, XBOX Marketplace and Amazon Video On Demand. Most of these services have the "season pass" feature so you can buy once and get new episodes as they come out.
Brakus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
Yeah, that's the list that I've seen. There are other extras that I would like to have seen translated, such as footage of promotional events and cast/production staff interviews.

This IS NOT a Bandai or Aniplex release, you're shit out of luck if you want anything fancy.

I am hoping beyond hope that Viz won't drop the ball on this one. Although with their announcement that the first half-season boxset will consist of the first 12 episodes (instead of 13 since the Jake Martinez arc ends on Episode 13), I really don't hold out much hope. I mean, it took them a long time before they finally got the memo that box sets of 13/26 episodes are the way to go instead of the single-volume sticks.

I do hope they get to put more stuff into their 2nd-half release. Again, Viz needs to make the first half box set THIRTEEN EPISODES INSTEAD OF TWELVE so we don't get a cliffhanger and they have to make us wait to see the resolution of the arc.

As Zac Bertschy said on the ANNCast almost a year ago, "Viz, stop being slow! You have a giant hit on your hands! Don't fuck this up!" Would that Viz take Zac's advice to heart.

Quote:
That's why I'm not going to buy it. I don't expect much from Viz (or most US companies), and it's hard to spend money on these lowest-common-denominator/minimum-effort/bare-bones releases. If Viz doesn't provide what I want, they won't get my money. It may not even be their fault, since the Japanese could have denied them the extras. Maybe Viz didn't want to pay for them. Not many can say with certainty, and Viz almost never answers questions, anyway.

As for me, I'm double dipping, buying both the DVD and the Blu-ray sets when they come out; it's a shame they didn't do a DVD/Blu-ray combo pack. It has the English dub on it, which is great. I'm kinda glad I didn't buy the single sticks as they came out in Japan and shelled out over $700 for them.

If you want Viz to put this show out properly, especially in time for the 2nd-half release, you need to put your money where your mouth is and buy the show when it comes out. Legally. Tell your friends to buy the show/get the merchandise when it comes out. It is the only way we can effectively communicate to Viz that we want more Tiger & Bunny stuff in our Tiger & Bunny.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:
As Zac Bertschy said on the ANNCast almost a year ago, "Viz, stop being slow! You have a giant hit on your hands! Don't fuck this up!" Would that Viz take Zac's advice to heart.

I hate to tell peopel this, stop complaining about how long it takes US companies ot put crap out on DVD/BD. It takes about 6 months to get all the material, they have to wait when the WHOLE series series in Japan, it takes 3 months to translate the script, then they have to get the cast, then the recording takes months to do (Chris Patton says it takes 1 months to do the dub for a short series of like 11-13 episodes), then they have to do all this other crap and give the stores a 3 month notice before they ship the crap out. Yes, 1-2 years is the damn average to put anime out on the market.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's not like they had materials to stream with a translation or anything....

You can remove your foot from your mouth now.

Point is, Viz fucked up with this; a whole year after it's JP release, on a platform that is inaccessible to a sizable demographic when there's a block practically designed for it running on national cable.

Viz had to go big or go home for this show and they've made their decision, may UVAVU relish the pain of their eternal souls for it.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:
If you want Viz to put this show out properly, especially in time for the 2nd-half release, you need to put your money where your mouth is and buy the show when it comes out. Legally.

If Viz gets good extras for the second half, then _maybe_ I'll buy that set (but it would look silly on the shelf without the first half, so I might not bother). It's still a while before the first set comes out, so perhaps (probably not) the release info will change. I don't particularly care if Viz's anime division gets my money, since they don't seem to release much of interest, and Bandai already has my money, which does a heck of a lot more for T&B than Viz.

Quote:
Tell your friends to buy the show/get the merchandise when it comes out. It is the only way we can effectively communicate to Viz that we want more Tiger & Bunny stuff in our Tiger & Bunny.

The only merchandise that I see is what's brought over from Japan. What decent stuff is going onto the store shelves over here?
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Yeah, it's not like they had materials to stream with a translation or anything....

Streaming is a WHOLE different thing. You don't need the material to stream, that comes straight from Japan streaming. You honestly think CR gets the FILM to stream? Hell no. And Tiger & Bunny already was subbed from the start, but Japan sucks at doing subs because most of them can't write in fluent English.

Vis DOES have to wait 6 months to get the material before working on ANYTHING, the same goes with any company. They're not going to risk making a translated script without the official script in their hands, mistakes are easily made by trying to get the words right from just listening to it. It's much easier with the damn script that the Japanese script writers did. AGAIN, 2 years is pretyt much the waiting time for pretty much most anime when a company up and licenses it right off the bat. An older title, they cna get it out in a year because they don't have to wait for the DVD/BDs to to finish their release in Japan (and yes, our US companies have to wait for the last release before getting their hands on anything, unless it's an on-going series)
Brakus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

I hate to tell peopel this, stop complaining about how long it takes US companies ot put crap out on DVD/BD.

I wasn't really complaining, but I know the window of opportunity is considerably shorter than it was 10 or even 5 years ago. Heck, when Tiger & Bunny first came out, we weren't even sure if they were going to be as successful as it turned out. Companies have learned (finally) to not jump in whole-hog and license everything under the sun. At least once the positive buzz started up for the show back in late spring/early summer 2011,

I was patient, and I waited for the English dub to come out. Saw a taste of it on the Anime Expo preview clip. And now that it's finally coming out, I've been getting the episodes on iTunes as they've come out.

My point of contention was the fact that Viz is not going to put out the optimal release for us here in the States. I don't know if it's a Sunrise thing, not letting Viz have that stuff, who knows. Plus, the first set only has 12 episodes instead of 13. Yes, I'm picky about the episode count because, if you've seen the show all the way through already, the Jake Martinez arc ends at Episode 13. Viz really is doing itself a disservice by leaving off that episode from the first half of the release. Also, no Blu-ray/DVD combo pack, but that doesn't matter since I'm going to double dip.

I would hope Viz is reading all of our thoughts about this - even yours, Vata Raven. They could be doing so much more for the fan. I'm hoping they will do so, eventually.
Brakus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Brakus wrote:
If you want Viz to put this show out properly, especially in time for the 2nd-half release, you need to put your money where your mouth is and buy the show when it comes out. Legally.

If Viz gets good extras for the second half, then _maybe_ I'll buy that set (but it would look silly on the shelf without the first half, so I might not bother). It's still a while before the first set comes out, so perhaps (probably not) the release info will change.

This is what I feared when I found out Viz got the license for the show. I had feared Viz was going to just half-ass the stateside release and make us all do a slow burn for things to come out here. Not to say that any other company would have done better with the license, but Viz's anime release reputation precedes them.

Quote:
I don't particularly care if Viz's anime division gets my money, since they don't seem to release much of interest, and Bandai already has my money, which does a heck of a lot more for T&B than Viz.

If you bought the Figurarts models, then you're doing your job. Bandai was a sponsor of the show. Then again, if Bandai got the license, they'd insist on releasing it here in single sticks like they did in Japan. -_-'

Quote:
Quote:
Tell your friends to buy the show/get the merchandise when it comes out. It is the only way we can effectively communicate to Viz that we want more Tiger & Bunny stuff in our Tiger & Bunny.

The only merchandise that I see is what's brought over from Japan. What decent stuff is going onto the store shelves over here?

3 tee shirts have already come out, and as you already said, there's merchandise that's been brought over from Japan here too. As long as the merchandise is legit, it goes back to Japan and to the folks that made T&B possible.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
I don't particularly care if Viz's anime division gets my money, since they don't seem to release much of interest, and Bandai already has my money, which does a heck of a lot more for T&B than Viz.

If you bought the Figurarts models, then you're doing your job. Bandai was a sponsor of the show.

I didn't buy the figures, I only bought the BDs. If figures get a decent release over here, I may pick some of them up; I don't import many figures these days.

Quote:
Then again, if Bandai got the license, they'd insist on releasing it here in single sticks like they did in Japan. -_-'

Bandai was bullied by some of the Japanese companies into sticking with DVD singles, or maybe they just overbid for some licenses and couldn't get their money back with cour-length sets.

Quote:
Quote:

3 tee shirts have already come out, and as you already said, there's merchandise that's been brought over from Japan here too. As long as the merchandise is legit, it goes back to Japan and to the folks that made T&B possible.

I have no interest in t-shirts these days. I pretty much just buy video, and the occasional figure, artbook or CD...
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:08 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Streaming is a WHOLE different thing. You don't need the material to stream, that comes straight from Japan streaming. You honestly think CR gets the FILM to stream? Hell no. And Tiger & Bunny already was subbed from the start, but Japan sucks at doing subs because most of them can't write in fluent English.

They have the materials, they can, at the very least, work on preliminary translation and casting work. The fact it took a year to get out is an embarrassment on Viz and they have squandered the chance to have a cowboy bebop on their hands between that and neon ally.

Plus Kaze (Viz Europe) have been chomping at the bit to release this and can't because of the nonsense that Viz pulled.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

They have the materials, they can, at the very least, work on preliminary translation and casting work. The fact it took a year to get out is an embarrassment on Viz and they have squandered the chance to have a cowboy bebop on their hands between that and neon ally.

Plus Kaze (Viz Europe) have been chomping at the bit to release this and can't because of the nonsense that Viz pulled.

Considering how long a dub takes, the packaging and putting it on blu ray, this is actually faster than most viz releases. Seriously people can't wait a year for something that just finished in November? They got the movie in their theaters around the same time. Seriously people stop complaining and buy the damn thing if you want it. You just can't please everyone it seems
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Considering how long a dub takes, the packaging and putting it on blu ray, this is actually faster than most viz releases. Seriously people can't wait a year for something that just finished in November? They got the movie in their theaters around the same time. Seriously people stop complaining and buy the damn thing if you want it. You just can't please everyone it seems
Persona 4 The animation. Your argument is now diamonds.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Vis DOES have to wait 6 months to get the material before working on ANYTHING, the same goes with any company. They're not going to risk making a translated script without the official script in their hands, mistakes are easily made by trying to get the words right from just listening to it. It's much easier with the damn script that the Japanese script writers did. AGAIN, 2 years is pretyt much the waiting time for pretty much most anime when a company up and licenses it right off the bat. An older title, they cna get it out in a year because they don't have to wait for the DVD/BDs to to finish their release in Japan (and yes, our US companies have to wait for the last release before getting their hands on anything, unless it's an on-going series)

Nobody gets film anymore. Virtually all materials are digital now. However, they still have to get materials for streaming. They just tend to be in digital format, often on a hard drive, and they arent of the same quality as home video masters. They don't just stream the material from a server in Japan. They need some sort of masters so they can translate and sub the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2