• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yoshiyuki Tomino - You be the Interviewer

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
As stated in the original article, we'd like to ask really interesting questions. So if you know the answer to a question that has already been posted here, please provide that answer. Worst case scenario: we pick a new question. Best case scenario: the answer helps us make a better question.

Also, Tomino himself has asked that questions be related to titles that he worked on directly. So although he is the creator of the entire Gundam franchise, he doesn't want to talk about Gundam Wing, G-Gundam, etc... If you aren't sure what titles Tomino worked on, check his encyclopedia page, and ignore titles that have him listed only as "Original Creator."

That's all. Start submitting questions!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Question: Mr. Tomino, after all these years, do you think the envisioning of "Newtypes" in Gundam panned out, or was it something that got away from you? Do you still think it's a relevant topic in Gundam discussions?

Question: Do you believe that Gundam itself still has a lot of relevance in modern anime? Do you think it can continue to thrive in the mass of titles out there?

Question: Are there any still lingering regrets in your career, as far as Gundam or perhaps your more recent works? Do you see Gundam as something best left to a younger generation, or do you still think you have more Gundam stories to tell?

Yoshiyuki Tomino is probably my favorite anime director. I would love any of these questions to be asked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Question: What exactly are "Newtypes"? It's been stated that they are"not ESPers", they're not psychics. Further, it doesn't appear to be a result of "natural selection" pressures on the Principality of Zeon: even Earthborn people like Amuro Ray can just *spontaneously* be NewTypes.

Question: Gainax has openly said that they were heavily influenced by Gundam and Space Runaway Ideon, when making Evangelion: you've disparaged this connection, because Evangelion was a very "dark" show. Have your feelings changed on this? Wasn't the idea of "using child pilots in a space war between Zeon and Earth" kind of a dark idea to begin with?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Having recently watched Ideon, I'd like to ask why it seems so much like a first draft.

Last edited by Fronzel on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is kind of a selfish question, but...

What would it take to get the original Mobile Suit Gundam series released in North America with the original Japanese voices and English subtitles, especially now that the series has been released on DVD in Japan?

Why was episode 15 of the original series included in the Japanese DVD release, but not in the North American English dub-only DVD release? If the original series were to be released in North America with the Japanese voices intact, would episode 15 be included, if only for completion's sake?

Last edited by Josh7289 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryand-Smith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Question: As one of the most important figures in the mecha subgenre, alongside greats such as Go Nagai and Ryousuke Takahashi, how do you look upon shows made with ideas from Gundam?

Question: Would you like to create another TV series, or is Overman King Gainer your last one?

Question : Which work do you look back at most fondly.

Question: If you could go back and change one of your shows, which would it be, and what would the change be?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
What is your speculation on where the the industry will be in the next 5 years, what direction is it going, and what will be your roll in steering it there.?

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigheart711

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Question: What was the happiest moment in your career?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
/m/ sure has funny ideas about what's an appropriate, proper interview question. I doubt anyone representing ANN is going to ask Tomino to do the Gainer dance.

Though I'm sort of hoping they would.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
/m/-Mecca wrote:
Quote:
How does it feel to know 0080 did in six episodes what you couldn't do in your whole body of work?

i totally went "oh snap!" at this one. so very, very harsh.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Question: Mr. Tomino, have you ever thought that the runaway success of Gundam has stifled your creativity with regards to other works, or unfairly raised people's expectations of you? Thankyou.
Flame-X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Here's my question:

There's been this never ending rumor about you smashing someone's Gundam model kit because the person asked what or when the next Gundam series is. Is this true?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I thought of another.

Question: Was it your intent to depict soldiering, in general, as negative, in Gundam? As in, the main protagonists are youth that are forced into battle, but never embrace being soldiers, and career soldiers are largely seen as tragic figures, so was that the intent?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Here's a few:

Question 1 (Multi-part): Mr. Tomino, how did it feel to be a part of the black-and-white Dororo anime from 1969? Were you a fan of the original manga before working on the anime? Finally, if a new Dororo anime were to be made and you were asked to be episode director again, would you do it?

Question 2: There have been rumors that during the production of Heavy Metal L-Gaim Mamoru Nagano repeatedly pushed his own personal feelings on what should and should not be done with the story and characters onto the development team. Is any of this true?

Question 3: How do you feel about the "Kill-'Em-All Tomino" nickname some people have given you over the years, due to the manner many of your animes ended back in the 80s and early 90s?
BCD Masamune

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
QI: What do you believe made Gundam such an important cultural Icon for Japan (1/1 scale statues, the impact on Mecha anime, etc)? How does it make you feel as its creator?

QII: When working on the original Gundam series, were there any roadblocks you faced that proved to be challenging (studios/producers wanting something else, technical problems, etc.)?

QIII: Are you pleased with the way new directors/animators are handling your 'child' or do you have any regrets in passing the regins?

Last edited by BCD Masamune on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6