• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bubble Teatrino

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K.o.R

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that Higurashi box is sweet. Fewer people would give you strange looks for that one than the singles' box (pink and fan-service-tastic).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
LeanGreen wrote:
I was actually considering Orphen because of its cheap price for 52 episodes, but thankfully reviews like this one remind me that a good deal isn't always the way to go.

Yeah, here's the thing: Orphen isn't 52 episodes. It's 26. They just added on the sequel Orphen: The Revenge to make it somehow "complete." In spite of how the second season is unnecessary and absolutely awful compared to the first one, which was rather good, if dated at this point. I mean seriously, I cannot come up with a single thing about the second season that makes it remotely worth watching. When the Azalie story was finished, it was just lame. If you're going to buy Orphen, get the original cheap somewhere on ebay, don't pay for a set where half of it is unbearable.

Watch in Japanese.
It's one of Koyasu's best psycho characters. FlameSoul (Heart? I forget who was in the 2nd) is waaaaaay out there.
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
ADVNation wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks, formerly ADV Films, has been re-releasing much of their catalogue.

Out of curiosity, why'd they change their name? Has anything else about their releases changed?

ADV is still around, they have not changed their name. They just released the Central Park Media rescues last month, and are handling distribution and production for Sentai Filmworks.

Here is ADV's statement on the Sentai Filmworks deal: http://www.animevice.com/news/aaand-adv-talks-sentai-and-more/1100/

Beyond that, there seems to be a lot of speculation and guesses by fans and others of wanting to know more and whats going on since ADV has not been talking as much as they used to in the past.

That's good to know, I thought something happened while I wasn't looking again.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to sit in front of Funimations booth at every con in the country and cry if they don't license the 2nd season of Higurashi.

You'd think everyone would want to know who the Big Bad is?
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
GSG 2 was ok, but I’d be lying if I said it was anywhere near as good as the first season or the manga. I found the animation to be sub par and the soundtrack to be very uneven; some tracks were very good while others where as generic as can be, especially any of the tracks used during the action scenes. But more then that the emotional resonance from the first season and the manga was completely absent. GSG2 never really seemed to get across to the viewer just how awful the situation was that the girls have been placed into, instead GSG2 seemed to imply, I’m sure without meaning to, that everything was more or less ok as long as the girls had their handlers with them, The very last shot in the show really bring this mindset into stark relief. Because of this I was never really able to get fully into the show.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Hmm this is a first, I've actually watched something before you finished reviewing it (then again Netflix got me the last DVD of Darker than Black like, the day after it came out).
Quote:
we get more episodes of Hei running around electrocuting things and being a badass,

I would say that is the main selling point of the series, some stuff does get answered but a lot of stuff is still left vague by the end of the series.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
You don't want the second season of Higurashi. It is quite literally Scooby Doo. Yes, it's just very stupid and is completely unlike season 1.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll pass on Gunslinger S2, since I heard they spoiler[retcon a character death that occured at the end of season one. Now I've heard this prevented manga contradictions, but death retcons annoy me, especially after Seed Destiny did one of the worse ones, so I'm not sure I feel like dealing with another one].

When They Cry will definitely be bought (probably next week, I put a bunch of vacation hours on my paycheck so I'll have plenty for some anime DVDs, probably also going to finally get the Ouran sets, as well as pick One Piece S2 Second Voyage). And I agree, the second season REALLY needs to be licensed, probably the most important of all the unlicensed sequels, since I've heard the story is only truly complete with both seasons.

I stopped at Darker than Black Vol. 4, and will pick up the last two probably at the next FUNi RightStuf sale. Probably going to pass on Orphen, I hate stackpack sets (some of the worst packaging ever), and it's not high enough on my wish-list for me to hunt down the older sets.

Cool shelves this week, pretty sweet collection.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I think I'll pass on Gunslinger S2, since I heard they spoiler[retcon a character death that occured at the end of season one. Now I've heard this prevented manga contradictions, but death retcons annoy me, especially after Seed Destiny did one of the worse ones, so I'm not sure I feel like dealing with another one].

It's hard to "retcon" something when the series isn't a sequel.

Teatrino's first episode is almost laid out exactly the same as the first season's first episode. I really don't know where people got the idea that it's a sequel. For crying out loud, there's another "Prince of Pasta" episode just like the first series.

It is a remake that is much more consistent in following the manga.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I really don't know where people got the idea that it's a sequel. For crying out loud, there's another "Prince of Pasta" episode just like the first series.

It is a remake that is much more consistent in following the manga.

My post made it pretty obvious I've yet to watch Season 2, so I'm not sure why I shouldn't think it's a sequel (most series titled "Season 2" usually are). Also, following the manga closer is usually a good thing, but not always. Plus, why is a remake needed, the first series was terrific (and it's not like FMA where people loved the first anime, but the manga was so insanely popular that the studio felt compelled to do a full adaptation). Based on Bamboo's descriptions, I just don't think I'll enjoy Season 2 as much as Season 1, and will probably pass on it for now.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I know nothing about Gunslinger Girl and don't have any strong opinions with respect to Darker than Black.

However, I must say a few things about the second season of Higurashi / When They Cry. It's true that the focus changed, but in my opinion the slower pacing was necessary in order to make up for everything that the first season completely glossed over. I didn't mind it too much because a lot of interesting information came to light.

I think the key lies in recognizing that both seasons were working towards different but inevitably interconnected parts of a single story. I don't believe one can fully appreciate them independently.

Without what happened during the first season I wouldn't care as much about the characters as I did later on, after fully understanding what was the real problem at hand, but without all the later developments the story would feel incomplete and lacking in closure. Creepy faces and creating a sense of horror wasn't the only purpose.

What's more, I can understand how some events may have been disappointing from a certain perspective in particular, but I honestly don't regret watching it and felt the series succeeded in telling a pretty good tale.

Last edited by nightjuan on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:00 pm; edited 5 times in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Yeah, here's the thing: Orphen isn't 52 episodes. It's 26. They just added on the sequel Orphen: The Revenge to make it somehow "complete." In spite of how the second season is unnecessary and absolutely awful compared to the first one, which was rather good, if dated at this point. I mean seriously, I cannot come up with a single thing about the second season that makes it remotely worth watching. When the Azalie story was finished, it was just lame. If you're going to buy Orphen, get the original cheap somewhere on ebay, don't pay for a set where half of it is unbearable.

Watch in Japanese.
It's one of Koyasu's best psycho characters. FlameSoul (Heart? I forget who was in the 2nd) is waaaaaay out there.

Oh yes, it's a great role. And it's in the first series. And then it gets brought back in the second. And used over and over and over again until it stops being funny and becomes unbelievably annoying. One of the many, many things I hated about the second series was its overuse of gags from the first.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Plus, why is a remake needed, the first series was terrific

While Gunslinger Girl was indeed "terrific", it never got around to answering the plot, and also left out a rather important character from the manga (Pinocchio).

Ever wonder what happened with the Padanian terrorists and if they ever did blow up that bridge? If so, then watch Teatrino. If you didn't care for the story in Gunslinger Girl, then you would right to hold off for now. The remake part was needed because this character is introduced fairly early in the manga (first part of volume 3), right after the Prince of Pasta.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
After having watch FUNi's streams of the first few episodes, and sitting in on one or two dubbed (until the sense of "wait, haven't I seen this before?" got too great,) I'm glad to see Il Teatrino eek out a shelf-worthy. Now all I have to do is wait out until the BDs hit in February. Of course, officially soliciting, so we can add it to pre-order/wish lists, might be nice too.

Darker than Black has been rather interesting On Demand, but this strikes me as a pretty & new series that will get released in HD, so my plan is to hold off for a while and see what develops on that front. Something tells me there will be much blood lost from HD re-buys coming down the line out of FUNi's catalog, so no need to make things worse.
bigheart711

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
bigheart711 wrote:
Well, THIS shit is rare! All of the DVD box sets (and one volume of a series) had the Shelf Worthy red mark, but half of the box sete were filed as Rentals as Bamboo said.

First of all, thank you for swearing. Second, it's clearly a mistake in the posting, they'll fix it once they've noticed it.

You're welcome Vashfanatic. Just taking advantage of what I can and can't say on the posts. Error's fixed now, but it would be EXTREMELY rare if all the DVD's reviewed were on the Shelf Worthy mark.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4