• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bubble Teatrino

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And look, Funimation—if you don't license and release the second season, I will sit in your lobby and cry.

Not sure if I will start crying, but they really do need to bring the second season over. It's time already. They shouldn't be leaving such a great Anime so unfinished as they have.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Re: "Darker than Black" *sigh* they could've just named the show "Superpowered People with Obsessive-Complusive Disorder" and left out the awful world-building.

I just saw the fifth volume last night. The action scenes and the superpowered characters are fun to watch, it has a good dub (I love faux-British accents!), and it tickled me pink to see fanservice for both sexes (volume 5 features a woman and a man in the nude) in this usually fanservice-less show.

The mythology is poorly presented and explained. Is this show based on a series of light novels or something? Why bother to make up technobabble about gates and stars that record individual's power-usage/deaths, and mysterious backstories if you're not going to explain any of it? It's so frusterating! The new season has lots of 'splainin' to do. It better not add new stuff! (And I'd give the last volume a chance to explain it all, but I fear that it would take 4 whole episodes of expository dialog to do that, and I know there are at least some action scenes to come!)
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The mythology is poorly presented and explained. Is this show based on a series of light novels or something? Why bother to make up technobabble about gates and stars that record individual's power-usage/deaths, and mysterious backstories if you're not going to explain any of it? It's so frusterating! The new season has lots of 'splainin' to do.

The way I see it, there are 25 half-hour episodes in Darker than Black, the equivalent of about 12-13 full hour episodes like you might have in a TV show. 12-13 episodes into Lost, did anything make sense? No, not really; they mostly survived on their good characters. So why should Darker Than Black at the end of its first season? Now, if either of these shows don't explain it all by the end... that will be a crime. Evil or Very Mad Hence at this point I'm waiting for the second season even more than a boxset before deciding on purchasing this. Is it too much to hope that Funi will work out a deal to stream it?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Slowzhand wrote:
ADVNation wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks, formerly ADV Films, has been re-releasing much of their catalogue.

Out of curiosity, why'd they change their name? Has anything else about their releases changed?

ADV is still around, they have not changed their name. They just released the Central Park Media rescues last month, and are handling distribution and production for Sentai Filmworks.

Here is ADV's statement on the Sentai Filmworks deal: http://www.animevice.com/news/aaand-adv-talks-sentai-and-more/1100/

Beyond that, there seems to be a lot of speculation and guesses by fans and others of wanting to know more and whats going on since ADV has not been talking as much as they used to in the past.

That's good to know, I thought something happened while I wasn't looking again.
Meanwhile, a large asteroid starts to enter the atmosphere directly high above their heads. Bamboo, you want to immigrate to the UK then, we have the perfect weather for you. Laughing
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how you can say that GSG2 lost any heart. Ep8, A Day In The Life of Claes has the heart of a giant. Plus that ep has to have the best use of a Old Scottish Ballad, Elfin Knight/Scarborough Fair, in Anime history Very Happy . Even Pinnochio, while being an assassin, is still just a kid looking for approval and love from his father figure Christiano. Just like the girls and their handlers. Rico being happy go lucky is due to the fact she's just happy to no longer be bed ridden.

This series still has plenty of heart. It just does not wear it on it's sleeve like season one.

Also if you're paying attention you get a quick shot of Elizabetha/Petrushka at an overlook.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
Il Teatrino is not a remake - it's a direct continuation of where the story left off - it follows the manga pretty closely (as does the first season). The animation style is just different.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Il Teatrino is not a remake - it's a direct continuation of where the story left off - it follows the manga pretty closely (as does the first season). The animation style is just different.

Then why is there a Prince of Pasta episode?

If you want to be exact, the first season ended at chapter 8 of the manga, which the girls singing under the stars. The first series just jumped around in the manga. It did not follow it in the order it was written, did not include Pinocchio, and that's why Teatrino had to backtrack quite a bit to get the viewers up to where they should have been.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Prince of Pasta makes multiple appearances in the manga and the anime. Its a strong emotional hook for several characters in the series. The Price story is used to create context for the choices many characters make. If there is a 3rd season it will appear again just as it does in later issues of the manga.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Then why is there a Prince of Pasta episode?

If you want to be exact, the first season ended at chapter 8 of the manga, which the girls singing under the stars. The first series just jumped around in the manga. It did not follow it in the order it was written, did not include Pinocchio, and that's why Teatrino had to backtrack quite a bit to get the viewers up to where they should have been.

I thought the Prince of Pasta episode in Il Teatrino was part flashback? I dunno ... it's been quite awhile since I started watched the fansubs of Il Teatrino (and then they were dropped!) I have the Funimation DVD's ... just haven't gotten to watching them yet. I just remember feeling like it was a continuation since I've read the manga through the 6th volume (the English ones that have been released). I thought the first season only covered through the first 2 volumes of the manga? And that Anglica's "death" was purposely ambiguous (as in, it was always debated whether she had died or fallen asleep - obviously she had fallen asleep since she's alive later!)
boshima

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Go Buckeyes!!!!!

wish i could have as big of a collection as you....
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Just so folks know, don't know if it has been mentioned already. But the 'Higurashi' boxset while many of the retail outlets list it having 4 discs it's the original 6. 3 doube-sided slim cases. With the covers on front and back. I wish they could have done better with the packaging. But again 'Geneon's dead and 'Funimation' is doing us a favor getting it out. So I'll take what I can get and be happy. As I never thought I would have purchased it in the beginning (past).

I'll be watching this in 'October'. I need something creepy for the fall just before 'Halloween'.

'Il teatrino is next on my list.

'Sorcerous Stabber Orphen'. Gawd, y'know I never finished the show. I've only saw this on bootleg tapes my friend used to bring over. Unfortunately, I never really got into this series. It seemed interesting though. Good shelf worthy list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4