• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
咲-Saki- (Mahjong anime).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I noticed there wasn't a thread for Saki on ANN, and just had to rectify this grave injustice.

Quote:
Saki tells the story of a girl's mental and emotional growth as she and her fellow teammates battle fearsome rivals, all gunning for the national high school mahjong tournament, and is a cross between sports action and high school drama. But unlike more traditional mahjong themed shows, the characters are all colorful and cheerful, without the usual dark or cowardly personalities. The story begins with the sudden arrival of Saki at the school's mahjong club, where she demonstrates her almost magical, instinctive ability to play the game so that she always ends up scoring exactly zero points, neither winning nor losing, a feat even more difficult than winning itself...

Although it's near the end of it's TV run, if you haven't been watching the show, now is the perfect time to. No episode was aired this weekend due to special election coverage in Japan, so you can catch up 100% on the CR broadcast even if you're not a subscriber.

Anyways, I absolutely love the show, and it's definitely my favorite currently-airing series. I have a long history of tabletop games, so, like others, it's inspired me to take up Riichi mahjong as well. This game is just made for anime...it's full of tense and dramatic moments. Saki really goes that extra mile to make a common boardgame ridiculously epic. The excellent cast certainly helps, as well.

Saki on CR: http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Saki

How to play Riichi Mahjong: http://v3gas.navhost.com/mahjong/
Online vs CPU flash Riichi Mahjong: http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Well actually there's one Saki thread here and if I'm not mistaken there should be another somewhere around here...
Edit: My mistake, that's the only one.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying the show as well. I would never have guessed it would be possible to make mahjong gripping, but there you go. And the gentle yuri overtones don't hurt, either.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Well I have been watching it. sure it makes mahjong intersting, though I have not been able to pick up the rules, and it is shown as reaky epic. I ask who didn't laugh when they had characters with swords behind them for dramatic effect.

It is pretty good for its range of characters, and also putting focus on the rivals, but I was a bit anoyed when they first were paying barely attention to the fourth school. But they introduced Momo and the Senpai which are interesting, but with so much focus on others kind of made it odd we should go for Saki.

Last weeks episode was good with Yuuki showing everyone the power of the taco.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote
Even though the yuri assumptions are overused, I am enjoying the show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
Just about every character has some sort of almost yuri like relationship, that is except for the guy. Instead he just gets abused by the ecentric loli like character voiced by Rie Kugimiya, who asumes that he is fantasizing about her and not her busty best friend.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
Actually, the series does a pretty good job of differentiating characters in a pretty large cast. Not only do you have Saki and the rest of her team (Boobie-Bombs, Lolicon, etc) but you have a bunch of girls on the other teams as well as the female play-by-play commentator who is always eating.

There are so many kawaii touches...Boobie-Bombs and her stuffed penguin; the tiny, feared Amae with her bunny ear headband; Lolicon with her taco love. Adorable.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote
To those who watch the show yet don't understand Mahjong, I really recommend learning it. It adds to one's enjoyment of the show a lot, there are a lot of little subtle touches only Mahjong players would pick up. Like how spoiler[Yumi was one away from tenpai on a Thirteen Orphans] in episode 19 or spoiler[Mihoko's furiteen riichi was a metaphor for walking her already chosen path] in episode 21, and many others.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Just about every character has some sort of almost yuri like relationship, that is except for the guy.

Yuuki is pretty much 100% heterosexual.

And to be honest I think Club President Hisa is pretty much 100% heterosexual, too. Notwithstanding Mihoko's own personal yuri goggles (monocle?).

Blood- wrote:
the tiny, feared Amae with her bunny ear headband;

Koromo is basically my favorite character in the show. She's so GARmoe.

"What devilry is this? These knave's faces show nary a trace of defeat's colour!"

The CR translator for Saki posts on the AnimeOnDVD forums, and he talked about what an experience it is translating Koromo's odd speech patterns into English. Apparently she uses words so archaic that, when you Google them, all the top pages are blogs discussing the Saki manga.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
Yuuki is pretty much 100% heterosexual.[/quote]
Trying to remember if she has felt up any of the female cast, well I know she has comented on Nodoka's breastsquite a few times. Well balences out by having a taco fetching man slave, plus I think I remember something earlier in the series which had her practicly saying Kyōtarō was her boyfriend or something.

Probably one of the best things about it is the wide characters, yet they can't focus on them all, such the fourth school when not only was there a character not shown but spoiler[the captain was actualy not the leader looking one.]

Koromo is interesting enough, she is the oldest in her team, but looks like a small child. There is something about luck and some people seem to think spoiler[she could have caused her parents accident]. I looked around and aparently her being a bunny is a reference to how there is an image on the moon that apears to be a rabit, and that explains her favirout play. Plus the spotlgiht hogging tsundere cousin, who also seems to swap between terified and caring.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
The girls maybe hetero but there definitely is a yuri vibe (intentional It think) between the various girls.
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode, then spent several hours reading up on Japanese Mahjong scoring rules on wikipedia. I think I get it, though the terminology seems to vary a little. (So it's a 2 fan 70 minipoint hand? Which is what wikipedia was calling a 2 han 70 fu hand... 1 han for finishing off a draw from the dead wall after making a quad, 1 han for a quad of her winds, 20 fu for winning, 32 for a concealed quad of honours, 8 for a concealed triplet of terminals, 2 for waiting for the other in the pair, 2 for winning by self drawn is 64, rounds to 70...)
Miranox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I didn't bother to learn the rules of mahjong, but I burned through the 21 episodes of Saki that are currently out and I'm still enjoying this series. It's definitely a lot better than I expected. It takes some skillful writing and creativity to turn a high school mahjong tournament into something interesting. There are also several similarities to Hikaru no Go, one of my favorite series, so maybe that has some effect too.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
I watched the first episode, then spent several hours reading up on Japanese Mahjong scoring rules on wikipedia. I think I get it, though the terminology seems to vary a little. (So it's a 2 fan 70 minipoint hand? Which is what wikipedia was calling a 2 han 70 fu hand... 1 han for finishing off a draw from the dead wall after making a quad, 1 han for a quad of her winds, 20 fu for winning, 32 for a concealed quad of honours, 8 for a concealed triplet of terminals, 2 for waiting for the other in the pair, 2 for winning by self drawn is 64, rounds to 70...)

han = fan
fu points = minipoints

It's just that there are tons of different terms for the same things, due to being in so many different languages and rule variants.

Like, how the same thing can be called either chii, chow, run, or straight depending on who you play with. Or quad vs kong vs kan.

To be honest, I don't pay much attention to exact specific scoring when playing online, minipoints/fu especially. It's the han/fan that really matter. They're an exponential multiplier, after all, so they're what really matter to getting a strong hand. Just try to stack up as many yaku or dora (worth one fan each) as possible. You might want to memorize this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Mahjong_yaku

Though I usually just go for an easy Riichi/Ready, Pinfu/All Sequences, or All Simples/Tanyaou.

I generally try to use English terminology, but when it comes to Pinfu, "All Sequences" isn't really accurate. Sure, it always *has* all sequences, but it's really "No extra fu points."
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:03 am Reply with quote
What is really frustrating for the translators are all these Mahjong term/moves. I am glad to watch a legimitate sub however.
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I found a fun flash mahjong game. I'm pretty terrible, but getting a thirteen orphans first go round after calling riichi and bankrupting someone made it all worthwhile. And I managed Saki's signature move once!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1