• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Hideaki Anno Talks to Kids

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Well looks like it's time to do some ebay searching, I love to have Anno talk to my kids someday.....well if I have kids someday.
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
This sounds positively hilarious. Especially the interview with his parents ^^
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anno, meanwhile, is in the midst of another breakdown at the thought of teaching kids. Apparently the program's producers really had to use some persuasion to get him to appear. "I don't have any confidence," he says, a little too casually.

I'm surprised he allowed them to keep that in the final cut.

Quote:
Deathly afraid of children,

How the hell can he be afraid of kids, when half the stuff he loves was made for kids?!

Quote:
I chose the name because it sounds complicated.

I told you all he just picks and chooses that crap at random.

Quote:
Anno's mother answers the children in an old tired voice, while his father interjects with lines like, "He wasn't very good at sports."

You know, as much as I like to bash the guy, I'm finally starting to feel sorry for him the more I read stuff like that about him.

Anyway, it'd be great if Carl threw in his two cents on this one.
silvertanuki

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
About the last picture that says "Anno as kamen rider", is that really suppose to be kamen rider he's portraying? I never saw any kamen rider series, but that pose resembles Ultraman more than kamen rider.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
Things like this make me appreciate NHK and what they do, sort of like PBS, because of the way they present real life to the public. Historically, politically or personally, NHK gets a thank you from me.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:45 am Reply with quote
silvertanuki wrote:
About the last picture that says "Anno as kamen rider", is that really suppose to be kamen rider he's portraying?
I think it's from Daicon Film's The Return of Ultraman, and it does look like an Ultraman attack. But someone with more knowledge of Daicon Film and tokusatsu could probably answer this better than me.

I remember seeing this on AnimePlay, but I never watched it all the way through. Must dig it out and watch it again. Those early AnimePlay discs were a pain to navigate. The latter ones were a lot better. Good idea for a magazine, but really poor execution.
Asako

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:21 am Reply with quote
Wow.. that video has to be something to see Smile Thanks Buried Treasure!
Amasa

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote
My favorite Buried Treasure so far. That was fantastic finally finding more about Anno. I read a small interview with him in a NewType issue ages ago and instantly loved Eva a whole lot more. Now I can say that I'm positively ecstatic about the new Eva films. Also I'm glad that such an in-depth look at Anno has been read by people who would usually bash Eva. If there's one thing I can't stand more than people bashing Eva, it's people bashing Anno.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:00 am Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
silvertanuki wrote:
About the last picture that says "Anno as kamen rider", is that really suppose to be kamen rider he's portraying?
I think it's from Daicon Film's The Return of Ultraman, and it does look like an Ultraman attack. But someone with more knowledge of Daicon Film and tokusatsu could probably answer this better than me.

Oops! It was late when I was adding that caption, and I blanked out. Let me fix it.

Edit: Okay, fixed. Sorry 'bout that.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:31 am Reply with quote
After seeing the animations that the students come up with at the end of the documentary, it's also scary seeing just how GOOD a teacher Anno is.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The kids are given a light box and a tap (the pegs that the registration holes in the paper fit into)

The "tap" is called a "Peg Bar." It's called "Registration Marks" no "holes." Sorry for being nit-picky. I've studied animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Roy9076

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quote
I always been interested about Anno and his interesting personality. I really want to know about this buried treasure. Now I'm going to keep a good eye on this one! Anyways, what's more interesting than an anime and movies that can give so much mix results is the guy behind it. Thanks again Buried Teasure!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
(Gerald)

I actually have a copy of this sitting around and it was certainly VERY weird. Especially since it's obvious that NHK didn't really know what they were getting into when they asked him to do this. There are times when the female announcer makes some comments like "What a strange thing for a grown man to do?".

It was pretty eye opening and it shows just how strange and complex a guy Anno is, I also seem to remember him having a major problem relating to the kids except for this one little girl who seemed to be a Kamen Rider or Ultraman fan, with whom he seemed engaged in rather in depth discussion of.

Maybe I should encode this thing so others can check it out since it is pretty unique? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Deathly afraid of children,

How the hell can he be afraid of kids, when half the stuff he loves was made for kids?!

Dr. Seuss really didn't like kids at all, yet he wrote many books we consider children's classics today.
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:43 am Reply with quote
I didn't even know kids in Japan watched Eva. I always thought it was more for older fans. Shocked I guess you learn something new everyday.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6