• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Alternative Couples Sure to Touch Your Heart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
If you take the Evangelion franchise as a whole, including the spin-off manga (which keep the characters true to themselves, even if the world set-up is different from the "main" storyline), Kaworu very much presents himself as being interested in more than just friendship with Shinji. This isn't to say that it's enough to declare them gay or a "couple", but there's definitely enough subtext/non-subtext to pair them up.

And Shinji was meant to be gay from the beginning, but the maker was forced to change it because no one (seeing the show was aimed for guys) wanted to watch a series with a lead guy acting like some love stuck "girl" over some guy...which...I'm not sure how a lead being gay can effect the story...it really doesn't, unless it's a romance anime.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

And Shinji was meant to be gay from the beginning, but the maker was forced to change it because no one (seeing the show was aimed for guys) wanted to watch a series with a lead guy acting like some love stuck "girl" over some guy...which...I'm not sure how a lead being gay can effect the story...it really doesn't, unless it's a romance anime.

Do you have a source on this? I've seen it batted around before, but no one has been able to provide me with actual supporting evidence.
Momokochan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Suddenly I realized, if Kaworu and Shinji are on this list why is not Homura and Madoka on the list? They are like the biggest ship since...well Kaworu and Shinji. HomuMado are so heart warming that even Cinderella and Prince Charming envy them.

And, also I agree with those who say that X's Subaru and Seichiro, should be up there, not because I like it, but because they are as staple of the "alternative" relationships as HomuMado or Kaworu and Shinji, like if they have a damaging relationship, so do Juri and Shiori. ( also, Juri and Shiori are not cannon and I forgot to say that beforeee!)

However, I do think that SubaruxSeichiro's relationship is above twilight's one in danger factor. I mean, ( it's not spoiler's after 15 years, again...) Seichiro did killed Subaru's sister, and had a history of a incestuous relationship with his mom, joined the villains and gave his eye to Subaru to even further the emotional damage, so it's more damaging like...a lot more...like a lot. I'm not defending twilight but come on let's be serious and fair. Their relationship was bonkers.

My List of Yuri Couples that would be better on the list:

- Chikane and Himeko
They are like an institution of yuri, like you think in yuri and bam.
THEN AGAIN, there's the flute incident...but at least is no Shiori-Juri...
And they are canon...
Wait maybe no... ugh...

Scratch that.

uhm... er... ok most yuri couples end up in tragedy...or rape :/

uhm...uhm...
Utena and Anthy from the movie is is is heart warming...or hot...
maybe is more hot than heart warming...

Okay I'll remain by Homura and Madoka, it's not canon but Shinji and Kaworu isn't either.

AH AH AH! Nagisa and Shizuma from Strawberry Panic. Yes a little rapey but not as much, plus yaoi is always way rapeyer...
Jesus Japan, most of your "alternative" relationships are like really f*cked-up.

Last edited by Momokochan on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
It's the first time I've heard of it (the rumour that Shinji was supposed to be gay), so colour me surprised.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Momokochan wrote:

I provided a list of a bunch that don't.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy to see Wandering Son opened up someone's eyes to the wider truths of the world.

As to the person who asked why it wasn't licensed in the U.S, it's because kids might buy it and kids should be shielded from the real world and only forced to question it when they are old enough to be on their own, by which time they've already been blinded to the differences in the world and generally react with fear(possibly culminating in violence) when they come across somebody who really is different.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It's the first time I've heard of it (the rumour that Shinji was supposed to be gay), so colour me surprised.

oh it's been around bit and few people gainax love trolling fans with that... hell check out this psp game clips below they did for fans...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuK5DSEF4I4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r26VFYHj1dY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Momokochan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Momokochan wrote:

I provided a list of a bunch that don't.

But, some of them are not Canon, or that well known. I think the exception to the list is if they are not canon they have to be famous, if they are not famous they have to be canon.

Fate and Nanoha is canon and well known so yeah it absolutely should be there instead of all the others! Like what are they thinking not putting them up. ANN look at your life, look at your choiceess!

Chikane and Himeko as previously mentioned tragedy + rape = uh....

Hagino and Mari their relationship is complicated. Again better than ShiorixJuri...but complicateed and chokey

Madoka and Homura YES, again, ANN look at your lifeee, look at your choices, what what what ar u doing?

Sayaka and Kyoko, they do are famous, buuut they are strictly a ship. Sayaka did not had much feelings for Kyoko, like it was more a one sided thing. Sayaka still was clingy to whathisname to the very end hmp.

Shizuru and Natsuki, ahhh I have problems for all the media, if we look to My-Hime anime only yes, they are absolutely top. BUT THE MANGA I CAN'T EVEN LIKE UGASLKJDASKDL f*cking yuuichi man I like Imma gonna choke yuuichi, and then Otome and then everything I can't...this whole series I just can't deal with it...orz

Mireille Bouquet and Yumura Kirika not cannon, a lot of fanservice but they are not really that known to own a spot either...unfortunately...

Jenny Dolittle and Lynn Lambretta cannon but little to not known...

Margot Knight and Malga Naruze aren't they more like a ship? I mean, yup fanservice everywhere but not enough known nor heart warming, hot, but not heartwarming...

I like your choiceee, but I remain with my stance that yuri suffers too much or is very unhealthy or spin-offs ruin everything ;___;
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

oh it's been around bit and few people gainax love trolling fans with that... hell check out this psp game clips below they did for fans...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuK5DSEF4I4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r26VFYHj1dY

I'm already far convinced that there was subtext that hinted toward Shinji being gay for Kaworu, but I, too, am wondering where Anno and/or the rest said they planned him to be gay from the beginning and then changed it. I'm not saying that it's not true, but one of the big psychological factors for Shinji is his hormones. Making him gay could still work, but it just seems far too important for him to be surrounded by females and get his hormones going that way first before making us question his sexuality later on.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
I'm a bit confused on the use of "alternative". To me it implies, relationships that go against conservative norms but I just want to make sure. Do you mean minor official couples in a show? Favorite shipping among fans? Actual incest/homosexual/transgender couples? Or all of the above?

Your implication is correct, relationships that go against conservative norms was the theme.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
I probably should not have read this list. The use of the term "alternative" is triggering enough but...oh why. It's not so much the selection (although I would not consider anime as a medium to be a strong contender for great representations of queer identities/relationships/bodies). It's just...the language. And other things.

"Alternative?" Because the measuring stick used to determine normative qualities is relegated solely to heterosexual, cisgender society (nope, not problematic at all). And that entire final paragraph with regards to Horo Musuko is rife with confused pronouns and damningly cissexist characterizations of trans identities ("boy who wants to be a girl";"isn't gay, per se (uh?)";"wants to be a boy and is attracted to other women")-- which, to be fair, is approximately on par with every other review of Horo Musuko I've read (and is, I suspect, largely a reflection of the confused content which comprises the show itself), but still. And then there's the fact that you have all trans folk, cis gay folk, incestuous romances and an immense generalization of "alternative lifestyles" and "gray areas" lumped under one gigantic umbrella...which is both meaningless and insulting.

That sort of stuff just scratches the surface. I mean. I think it's great that people want to celebrate queer identities and address their representations in the media. But this article read like a prime example of good intentions gone awry. Confused

THAT SAID:
I do think CLAMP tends to do a better job of portraying some queer folk than their contemporaries; I liked Clover for that reason (among many). I've never gotten around to reading CCS, but I've heard good things from people whose judgment I trust. On the other hand: there was Miyuki-chan in Wonderland.
The George and Yukari piece reminded me of this, but I really liked the way that Hatsuharu and Rin's relationship in Fruits Basket was handled, given that Haru, despite being with Rin, was totally unapologetic about his sexuality and his attraction to Yuki; then again, both pairings relinquish to that familiar pitfall (which is not exclusive to anime) wherein a character can identify as queer so long as they end up in a heteronormative relationship (or else are resigned to being single and unloved forever.) Doesn't help that in the latter series Takaya went on to fumble all the gender role critique she fostered in Momiji and generally wrote Ritsu out of the plot. Sigh /hetconning.
I keep hearing about Revolutionary Girl Utena and I know I need to watch it because it always interests me. I just...don't trust anime with these kinds of stories as a rule.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
Momokochan wrote:

But, some of them are not Canon,

This list has Shinji/Kaworu

Quote:
Chikane and Himeko as previously mentioned tragedy + rape = uh....

They get their good end, though Chikane's methods left something to be desired

Quote:
Sayaka and Kyoko, they do are famous, buuut they are strictly a ship. Sayaka did not had much feelings for Kyoko, like it was more a one sided thing. Sayaka still was clingy to whathisname to the very end hmp.

I have firm confidence that Kyouko loved Sayaka, even if she only realized it at the end.

Quote:
Shizuru and Natsuki, ahhh I have problems for all the media, if we look to My-Hime anime only yes, they are absolutely top. BUT THE MANGA I CAN'T EVEN LIKE UGASLKJDASKDL f*cking yuuichi man I like Imma gonna choke yuuichi, and then Otome and then everything I can't...this whole series I just can't deal with it...orz

I specified the Otome versions for a reason, where they are an established couple who live together and have by all reports have an energetic sex life.

Quote:
Mireille Bouquet and Yumura Kirika not cannon, a lot of fanservice but they are not really that known to own a spot either...unfortunately...

I'd say they are up in the NanoFate HomuMado levels

Quote:
Jenny Dolittle and Lynn Lambretta cannon but little to not known...

So? They're a couple.

Quote:
Margot Knight and Malga Naruze aren't they more like a ship? I mean, yup fanservice everywhere but not enough known nor heart warming, hot, but not heartwarming...

Not even remotely a ship. They are a couple. They had the first on-screen kiss in Horizon, and are listed as "lovers" in their character profile. They are also confirmed to be actual lovers in the "have sex with each other, regularly and vigorously" sort of way.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
Momokochan wrote:

No, they are 100% canon. It's blindingly obvious if you watch even a few episodes and it is utterly uncontestable. They are lesbians and they're pretty much married.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Lets go through this point by point:

5. George and Yukari

I haven't watched this, but eargh, "George's bisexuality, a fact that is more prominent in Ai Yazawa's manga, is a non-issue" Well yeah, he ends up with the woman. I don't think "Bi male and straight female getting together" is particularly alternative.

I'll touch on this one, but it requires far more spoilers than I wanted to put out right in the column. The two date, obviously, but they spoiler[don't end up together]. The 'alternative' point that got their mention on this list is less George's sexuality, but the progressive relationship roles that they embody. Ai Yazawa revisits the point early on in NANA when "Hachi"'s boyfriend refuses to let her play housewife and insists that she gets a job to take care of herself.

Many mainstream shoujo relationships focus on a girl falling for a guy and focusing on developing all the skills to become a good housewife and win his heart. While there is nothing wrong with that choice, it's one that is over-represented in shoujo romance. George and Yukari's relationship is heartwarming because despite the fact that spoiler[they don't live happily ever after], they teach each other to grow as people and pursue their dreams and potential.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

No, they are 100% canon. It's blindingly obvious if you watch even a few episodes and it is utterly uncontestable. They are lesbians and they're pretty much married.

So amazing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8