• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Z Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:11 am Reply with quote
"Cherie is here with our only response for more Sailor Moon! Really? I thought my inbox would be cluttered to the gills with cries of Sailor Moon:"

Well now that's just not true. I also sent in a response stating my desire for Sailor Moon, especially Stars. Such a shame that a classic like that won't be seen by future generations Sad
Son-kun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
That 5th version of the Saiyan Saga (Dragon Box) is actually worth the money, unlike the past releases. I pitched in for the first FUNi Season Set just to see how it fared and I'm really glad I didn't continue. Stuck to my manga volumes for Dragon Ball cravings.

LoGH, Ideon, and various Tatsunoko titles are all good contenders. Hell, I just wish more vintage 80s material would make its way to the states. I can't stand most of the new titles today.
Ottervinn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quote
Oh man! I'm one of these 90s kids who adored animé due to the art-style and the storylines in them. Okay, so maybe the storyline thing isn't true for Pokemon - but for Cardcaptors, Sailor Moon, and Digimon, I loved it.

But I can see why they failed in the aspect of storyline - most kids are hyperactive and want nothing more than light entertainment when sitting down with their milk and cookies (or whatever) when the cartoon afternoon plays on TV. They don't want to be confused by plot-lines or wondering why this happened because an earlier episode prophesied so... Although I loved these intricacies of storytelling, I always hated it when kids at my school simply rejected shows for being 'boring'. I still actually am proud enough today to hold up my hand and say that I cried when Wizardmon was murdered.

Silly rambling aside, a pre-2000s series I'd like to see... well, I'm one of these people who appreciates this generation of animé but often feels there is no charm, sparkle, or spirit into some of the episodes. Old-style animé is beautiful, even if there are episodes that have the most awful animation in the world.

The animé I'd like to see in its entirety is Sailor Moon yet again, since sadly, its licenses have bit the dust and the fifth season has never been released in the US, although it did see success in France, Germany, and some other countries, I believe.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:19 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
About the fluke, isn't that just the normal con cold?
This wasn't just your regular con cold as a result of a strained immune system. Someone who came to the con was either sick or carrying something "different" and it spread like wildfire. People who came down with it exhibited almost the same incubation period, symptoms, and recovery period.

Last edited by bayoab on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:28 am Reply with quote
Okay, Brian. Time to fess up. Now that you've watched the movie, what's your opinion on it? Also, did you intentionally get this movie or was it sent to you?

Can you expand on the anime definition by Japanese a bit more? I'm curious to know how these are regarded as "shows for kids" given the monies people spend on it. Merchandising and DVDs have always had "strong" sales, so I can't believe it's all kids going out and buying these things.

I'm not sure if anime is regarded in this fashion, especially when we compare to series we have here in this country. There's no way someone's going to compare AzuDa to Flapjack and think both of these are "kids shows". I've yet to hear Flapjack discuss the size of boobs in the show.

Meh, it doesn't matter. Animation, unless stamped with a Disney sticker, isn't ever going to reach mainstream levels that television shows do. The days of the Flintstones are long gone.

That's just depressing when compared to "real" shows like, say, House (which is nothing more than a cartoon character played by an actor).

Hmm. House in anime. *shivers*
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:30 am Reply with quote
(Just noticed I made a weird typo ~_~)

So it was a flu outbreak? Could you give me some links, because I can't really find anything that confirms it myself. I found one post from May that mentioned that many Mexican fans were going to miss the concert and that's it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:33 am Reply with quote
diligent sesame wrote:
P.S. If anyone happens to have Vol. 9 in Traditional Chinese, I BUY.

There are still five copies left at books.com.tw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:32 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Tamaria wrote:
About the fluke, isn't that just the normal con cold?
This wasn't just your regular con cold as a result of a strained immune system. Someone who came to the con was either sick or carrying something "different" and it spread like wildfire. People who came down with it exhibited almost the same incubation period, symptoms, and recovery period.

I didn't go to Anime Expo, but I did attend AnimeNEXT this year, and I ended up catching the Swine Flu and pneumonia and I spent 3 weeks in the hospital in intensive care. =/

So it doesn't matter which con you go to, the Swine Flu and other illness are spreading like wildfire this year, so take precautions if you're going to any kind of large social gathering.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:54 am Reply with quote
I sent in a reply for Touch, but I've only seen 30 or so episodes and I made this clear in my response for honesty's sake so that may have been why my response didn't get picked, or possibly my subject heading made Brian think I was listing more than one title (or I'm a bad writer). More unfortunate is that Touch didn't have any replies chosen at all, surely I can't be the only one out there who voted for it?
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
Ah, it warms my heart to see some LoGH love. Well done guys. That's my favorite series.

If in some crazy ideal scenario the DVD version (or the original, I'm not picky) were ever officially released subbed, I'd be all over it. Hell, I'd buy copies for my siblings.

I like the Western animation answer, although I remain hopeful that eventually there'll be sufficient demand for more non-standard U.S. cartoons. I definitely agree the potential is there in the industry for great things.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
I agree with the person who wants to see a legal release of Shurato as that's one of my all-time favorite anime series.

The same goes for Sonic Soldier Borgman and the 2058 OAV sequel [even though the original OAV's came out through ADV a few years back], the rest of St Seiya and the more recent OAV's plus the movies, Slam Dunk [especially if they did a special edition box set with a replica basketball shirt] and a proper release of Sailor Moon/SMR as well as Sailor Stars.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
Technically, a number of titles unlicensed has been released in the USA under fansub distribution.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
Thanks to everyone who replied to this week's question, I now have a list of anime to try. I have to say, I'd heard of most of these, this just put some fire under me to check them out. Smile

I don't want to ever get into the whole old-versus-new thing (every age has had its mix of total brilliance and complete crap), but I will say that it can be very tough for newer fans (within the last decade or so) to sort their way through all the old anime out there. Columns like this, or the wonderful Buried Treasure, are a real blessing. Thank you all very much!
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
The question about Western (read: American) animation really got me upset. Just because something is intended for children does not make it less quality. Maybe its because I work in education (I've worked with kids as young as 1), but when I watch TV with my nieces and nephew, I'm amazed at how well educational cartoons are written and animated. From Little Einsteins to Time Warp Trio and even Dora, these shows are entertaining, well-written, and kids actually remember some of the things they learn from them. I'm not ashamed to admit that I have been watching Arthur (as in, the advark, based on Mark Brown's books) for years purely for my own entertainment. It's written with a cross-generational appeal, and it's quite good.

I'm actually upset that my nephew got swept up in the Bakugan craze, because that show is really crap compared to some of the American stuff from PBS, Discovery Kids, etc (though if I can get him to be a true anime/manga fan because of Bakugan's influence, I guess it's ok, but that's a selfish reason).

And movies! I still count Lilo & Stitch and Mulan as two of my favorites, and movies have only gotten better since they came out. Have you seen Finding Nemo or the Incredibles or anything Pixar has released in the past 5 years? None of it suffers from poor writing or bad animation.

It's unfortunate that the market for adults hasn't opened up here, besides for sitcoms (btw, Brian, were you comparing Family Guy to Ghost in the Shell? LOL) because the writer has a point about animation being an ideal medium for fantasy and sci-fi, yet every time a network tries to produce something different, there's barely any episodes produced before a show is deemed unprofitable and cancelled (see: MTV's Spider-Man, which was quite good). I personally think a lot of live-action shows would seem much less campy if they were animated (Smallville, Heroes...ok, maybe not! Smile ).

House reminds me of Black Jack, and vice-versa. Everytime I read BJ, I have an urge to write crossover fanfiction!

What's Daa! Daa! Daa! About?
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Can you expand on the anime definition by Japanese a bit more? I'm curious to know how these are regarded as "shows for kids" given the monies people spend on it. Merchandising and DVDs have always had "strong" sales, so I can't believe it's all kids going out and buying these things.

Don't forget parents buy for their children as well, not to mention that there are older fans who like kids shows and would buy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5