• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animation Crowdfunding Site Anipipo Launching

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
maybe I could start a crowdfunded anime company, and see if anyone would give me money to license anime for selling in America.

I would try to get the shows no company wants to license. like..

Itazura na Kiss, Shugo Chara, Rizelmine, and others...

and have it set up that if I get over a certain amount, I will release the show with subtitles only, but if it reaches a higher amount, I will dub the show, and as incentives, the people who donate the most money get to help decide who is picked for the english dub.

The only stipulation I have, is every tsudere bratty little girls voice, be dubbed by Monica Rial. I just lover her voice, To me she is the Rie Kugimiya of english dubs, but then again I will always listen to the original japanese language when Rie Kugimiya is voicing a character

So how about it? anyone want to donate money??????
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Err, I think you missed the point of this website. What you've described is similar to something else already in the works--Sam Pinansky's website working with various Japanese publishers to subtitle, and possibly release, titles that have less exposure to the typical distributors using a crowdfunding/streaming model. This website mentioned in the article is one that is more like taking the Production I.G. Kick-Heart project idea, which was recently funded via Kickstarter, and forming a foundation for it specifically for anime production projects. If anything, it should allow for more small projects to be created that don't require the astronomical budgets of a season's run of TV episodes.

I like the ideas behind both websites, but I will agree that I'm much more interested in Sam's site, and what it will be offering. We just don't hear too many details about it very often; so there's no telling if his site is ready to launch any time soon, or if all of the details are still being worked out. Hopefully we will get some updates on it soon.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
A fascinating concept. I hope it proves successful and can breathe life into smaller projects that would perhaps never get the chance otherwise.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it will really work, because most people will want to get a DVD or blu-ray (and maybe other assorted physical goodies) but since the projects most likely will be done in asia, S&H to europe and the americas would probably be quite expensive. Many people might be discourage of pledging 50 bucks if they will need to expende another 50 to get the goodies into their hands.
vcmusik

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
If this can save Satoshi Kon's last work (Dreaming Machine, IIRC) that's been shelved by MadHouse, I'm all in.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I would be interested if say for instance I could donate to a specific sequel season for shows I want to see get more sequels such as say continuing to adapt the rest of the Full Metal Panic novels or Highschool of the Dead season 2 fund. However, since I tend not to play Japanese games or read manga I haven't seen the anime to, I probably wouldn't be interested in funding those types of projects unfamiliar to me.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Highschool of the Dead season 2 fund

Not happening unless you kick the mangaka's behind and get him working again
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
Mc-Taz wrote:
Err, I think you missed the point of this website. What you've described is similar to something else already in the works--Sam Pinansky's website working with various Japanese publishers to subtitle, and possibly release, titles that have less exposure to the typical distributors using a crowdfunding/streaming model. This website mentioned in the article is one that is more like taking the Production I.G. Kick-Heart project idea, which was recently funded via Kickstarter, and forming a foundation for it specifically for anime production projects. If anything, it should allow for more small projects to be created that don't require the astronomical budgets of a season's run of TV episodes.

I like the ideas behind both websites, but I will agree that I'm much more interested in Sam's site, and what it will be offering. We just don't hear too many details about it very often; so there's no telling if his site is ready to launch any time soon, or if all of the details are still being worked out. Hopefully we will get some updates on it soon.

Patience will pay off in the end Smile.

Forming partnerships of Japanese companies is like herding elephants...
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
I thought the Japanese disliked crowdfunding.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

That's somewhat true, but what they dislike is "begging", not the crowdfunding itself.

It's an extension of the Japanese business tendency to work together instead of as an individual... I.e. "An artist crowdfunds because they are incapable of working within the system"

All these opinions are rapidly changing anyway. I wouldn't attempt to say anything about what it will be like 3 years from now.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

I would if my legs were long enough to reach all the way to Japan. I think, I'd have to be turned into an anime character with CLAMP character designs first in order for that to happen though. So not gonna' happen. Wink
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

I would if my legs were long enough to reach all the way to Japan. I think, I'd have to be turned into an anime character with CLAMP character designs first in order for that to happen though. So not gonna' happen. Wink

I lol'd. So true.

Why's he on hiatus, anyway?
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Mc-Taz wrote:

My statement was partly a joke, mainly what I am trying to convey, is that crowd funding is becoming a normal thing, I am wondering how long it will take before it gets out of hand.

I would love to donate money, well I do, every time I buy an anime series, I am donating my money. but when you donate money to a kickstart, there is no guarantee it will ever see the light of day.

and I would be pissed if I donated, money for an anime, and it turns out to be horrible, I would feel like my money was wasted.

now don't get me wrong, the shows I listed in my comments, I would buy in a new york minute. but I will let others take the chance with their money, anime is such a gamble, shows I have liked were considered crappy, and shows I don't know what they were thinking when they made it, become popular, so I don't want to gamble on any series,

Well, except zombies, I think I would donate, to get more High School of the Dead.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:

Itazura na Kiss, Shugo Chara, Rizelmine, and others...

Rizelmine, you say? If your hypothetical crowd-sourced licensing company would bring over something that politically-incorrect, I'd consider backing that on the condition you'd also hypothetically license the equally politically-incorrect Kodomo no Jikan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:56 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:

That's somewhat true, but what they dislike is "begging", not the crowdfunding itself.

It's an extension of the Japanese business tendency to work together instead of as an individual... I.e. "An artist crowdfunds because they are incapable of working within the system"

Japan is not big on entrepreneurship. Better socially to be a president of a big company than an owner of your own business.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1