• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Driver the Movie's Full Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
I wonder how much better than the tv series its going to be considering it was a mess of a show that never went anywhere, I wonder if anyone is even going to watch this.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
I wonder how much better than the tv series its going to be considering it was a mess of a show that never went anywhere, I wonder if anyone is even going to watch this.

The concept behind the series was interesting to me and some of the characters intriguing, but the execution was poor. I was especially frustrated with spoiler[the need to have a battle in every blood episode].

If the creators of Star Driver wanted to imitate spoiler[Utena]in some ways, that series did not have a spoiler[duel in every single episode]. I am not interested in Star Driver: The Movie, but I doubt it will be worse than the series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
It's probably going to suck, hardcore, as most things that attempt to compress large works into the tiny running time of a movie always do.
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The concept behind the series was interesting to me and some of the characters intriguing, but the execution was poor. I was especially frustrated with spoiler[the need to have a battle in every blood episode].
I don't think "giant robots fight in every episode of a giant robot show" is really a spoiler.

I've never understood the hate for Star Driver. The ending is pretty weak but the rest of the show is fine.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
Actually, angelmcazares...the fact is Revolutionary Girl Utena did have a (usually short and generally predictable) duel in the vast majority of its episodes, so Star Driver isn't exactly misrepresenting that by doing something comparable with its robot fights.

Then again, I don't think this is technically a case of "imitating" Utena , since while the same main writer is responsible for both series and he does introduce some similar elements along the way, the two shows are fundamentally different at heart.

But in any case, I ultimately enjoyed the series just enough to give the movie a chance. Worst case scenario, it'll just be forgettable.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the movie will actually have a pair of balls, unlike the TV series. It appears like a re-do of it, but it's hard to tell if the different battle elements are pertaining to just one particular part or all of them. Star Driver had so much promise, but the mealy-mouthed writing killed it ten times over. I really do hope the movie does what its predecessor was often too afraid to do, in taking chances.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I really do hope the movie does what its predecessor was often too afraid to do, in taking chances.

And what chances the TV series didn't take, might you say?
AnimeDuelist15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, it looks like they broke the final seal and can now move outside the closed off space.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've never understood the hate for Star Driver. The ending is pretty weak but the rest of the show is fine.

Personally, I found the show's flamboyance and showboating extremely irritating. The whole series just felt like a big joke, but it also felt like we were supposed to take it seriously which I just couldn't do. It was also pretty formulaic and repetitive. If you were to ask me what it's biggest flaws are I'd say that, if any of that helps. It wasn't a total waste of a series but it wasn't really all that good either.
Nandosagi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
I really do hope the movie does what its predecessor was often too afraid to do, in taking chances.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who really liked the series, there rarely seemed to be very high stakes involved. Up until the revelation that breaking all the seals would spoiler[allow Head to travel through time at the implied cost of the human race,] it really only seemed like the seals getting broken would only hurt the Maidens for a while. Well, maybe that's not entirely accurate, spoiler[as it was implied that even without Head using Samekh's fifth phase, there would be a seismic event followed by economic unrest once Cybodies were unleashed on the world.] Also, I personally don't feel death is really necessary myself, but nobody was ever in any real danger of dying until Madoka Kei and the infamous Overphase System episode.

I admit, the ideas in Star Driver were all over the place and a lot of potential was wasted, but I still loved it just because I had fun watching it and I liked the characters. That's why I welcome this film.[/spoiler]
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

The series was so deathly by-the-books and afraid to show any real conflict, despite trying to sell itself in that manner, and was overly-protective of its protagonists. It never showed Takuto any real crisis, as he either always pulled something out of his backside to end his fights or something coincidental happened to bail him out. Glittering Crux was never a credible threat thanks to said protection and their grand machinations being either thwarted, undermined, or amounting to little. The relationships didn't fare any better beyond what was expected and the fight scenes themselves seemed to encapsulate the overly-safe feel in how they played out.

If the series didn't make Takuto look so perfect/deus ex machina, not protect its protagonists so much, and made the fighting more competitive, as well as give GC more traction and a few victories (at least plot-wise), and give some tweaks or different dimensions to the relationships, it would have been more worthwhile. Hopefully, the movie will take a more even and dynamic approach (as well as expand and explain the story better, which was another serious problem of the show's).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Well one of the problems was that there was absolutely no tension in the fights. It was made very clear early on that Takuto could not afford to lose even one of them - losing would have meant the end and the Crux would have won their little war. So the audience knew that he would always win as the plot afforded no alternatives.

Star Driver had a lot of potential, sadly the inept handling wasted much of that.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
Well one of the problems was that there was absolutely no tension in the fights. It was made very clear early on that Takuto could not afford to lose even one of them - losing would have meant the end and the Crux would have won their little war. So the audience knew that he would always win as the plot afforded no alternatives.

This, I have yet to see anyone offer a suggestion for how Takuto could have lost a fight yet the series could've still continued, I think if you can accept that kind of limitation on the show you're going to get a lot less frustrated at it.
And goddamn that was a sparkly trailer.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I was especially frustrated with spoiler[the need to have a battle in every blood episode].

Different strokes for different folks. That was one of the main things that made me adore the series, actually. Sometimes when I watch a robot show, I just want to see robots fighting! Having that every episode (and well animated just about every damn time) was a treat. Fun characters, unique robot designs...I was never bored. It's more GaoGaiGar then Utena, for sure.

I still wish this movie was all new, but man that new animation got me excited. I didn't really have a problem with the ending of the series, aside from wanting a bit more epilogue, which this seems to have. I'm sure the condensed story will not be great, though.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
So much negative critique on this series... I liked it a lot, so I will share what I wrote about it in my ANN to try and balance the opinions. Wink

Derivative yet original in its own way, SD is like a mix between a mecha show, Sailor Moon and a comedy school story. It features the typical trio (two boys and a girl) and a (sci-fi) main plot intertwined with romantic slice-of-life moments. Its mood can be funny, serious and even dramatic, and the cast counts many characters; this anime has something for almost anyone. I especially liked the main character and the animation of fights (not limited to the mechas ones) and special effects, which are often jaw-dropping (especially for the last episode). I also appreciated the use of music and even more of the four insert songs, which are quite beautiful in my opinion.
(I gave Star Driver a "very good" rating, for your information.)

That said, I can't wait for the movie! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2