• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hanasakeru Seishounen (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
Hanasakeru Seisouhen (TV)

Just wondering if anyone out there has been watching this series... Its currently streaming on Crunchyroll, so I decided to give it a try. After 2 and a half eps, I called it quits. I just couldn't stand it. I wasn't to fond of the premise, and the character design was not to my liking. But I am curious, does it get better, or are the rest of the eps more of the same?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
I've seen up to episode 13. I've been enjoying the series in spite of (or perhaps because of) its odd main character, and the fact that the story isn't as much of a bishounen gush-fest as it first appears.

I honestly almost stopped watching after Kajika began acting like spoiler[Eugene was the reincarnation of her dead leopard ]and I can understand why someone would be put off within the first couple of episodes. But later episodes become more focused on the political/business aspects of the series, and the interconnectedness between Kajika's family and certain other key players in the international financial and political spheres.

It's not for everyone, though. The show's not one of my top favorites or anything either, but especially after the flashback arc five or six episodes in, I got a better sense of what the series was going to be about and have been enjoying it casually.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
It gets a bit interesting after a few episodes, but the latest episodes I've seen (up to 13) have cut down on the harem stuff (yeah, it's actually getting to the roots of the anime already).
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
belindabird wrote:

I honestly almost stopped watching after Kajika began acting like spoiler[Eugene was the reincarnation of her dead leopard ]and I can understand why someone would be put off within the first couple of episodes

yeah, that was the main reason I stopped watching. But if you say that's the worst of it, then maybe Ill watch a few more to see if I can get into it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
David.Seth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
It gets a bit interesting after a few episodes, but the latest episodes I've seen (up to 13) have cut down on the harem stuff (yeah, it's actually getting to the roots of the anime already).

belindabird wrote:
The show's not one of my top favorites or anything either, but especially after the flashback arc five or six episodes in, I got a better sense of what the series was going to be about and have been enjoying it casually.

You both summed it up pretty good. It isn't anywhere near a masterpiece, but its not horrible. It really is a casual watch. Sure it may get even better as the story progresses, but it could also get worse. So far though the story is getting better and the characters are a bit more interesting. I just got up to episode 11 (watching on CR so its gonna be next week until they release 12 and then I can watch up to ep 26... stupid CR with their weird release schedules). Anyway, I actually laughed a out loud a couple times during this episode...

spoiler[Ah, a male walks in on a female in the shower... how friggin original. But it's what he said that had me dying. Yes its juvenile, but when Kathleen came out of the shower, accusing Machaty of spying, I just couldn't help but laugh at Machaty's response: "first of all, who would want to see those floppy things?"]

Not really sophisticated humor, but in this show it really surprised me. Oh, and towards the end with Machaty yelling "Kathlleeeeeeen!" I don't think it was supposed to be funny, but it sure came out that way. I think its because it reminded me of this.

Now I realize that a few of you have been watching the fan subs and are to episode 25 or 26 so if this series takes a serious nose dive in story/quality or gets too absurd a little warning would be nice Wink
illustrata

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:41 am Reply with quote
Hmm... Though the series isn't anything to write home about (heck, it's not even the best reverse harem out there), Kajika's grown on me by a bound. It does pain me to see her so perfect, but then again, the guys in this show (except the ugly, unimportant ones) are no different (I'm looking at the show's seemingly handwaiving of Eugene's actions towards his past romantic relationships).

For a reverse harem with touch of politics, ultimately Saiunkoku Monogatari does it better.
gorbal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
I actually thought this quite enthralling and intelligent for a flowery shoujo. The main character has the usual one-note personality of anime females but I don't dislike it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1