• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kannagi's Eri Takenashi to Rest for At Least 1 Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Really? I'm pretty the particular scene that caused an uproar was in the first season. I'm not quite sure exactly but I just remember it having spoiler[Nagi with a rather large belly (as if pregnant) and talking about being a mother to all around and such. That doesn't mention anything about her not being a virgin does it? Don't Christians celebrate a virgin who also was pregnant? Granted I don't know how exactly the Japanese believe their gods create things and whether or not they procreate,] but this seems to be a case where people thought that correlation implied causation, which is always really dumb.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was due to the curent ark in the manga?

Still it did seem like the curent ark was going to end the series it is/was the climax.

Over all it's sad to see people act as if paper and ink is a real person
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
No a hint was given in the first season anime by Goddess Nagi. The manga is what did the franchise in. Christianity has nothing to do with this. Those fanboys found out that their waifu was really thinking about someone else and lied to them. Laughing

Edit: This behavior wasn't new or limited to Nagi. That's why they charged the h**l out those fans to be members of the fan club.($250). With this type of behaviour, the darker side should have been expected. No sympathies from me for her situation.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Panon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
You missed out on the fun....

Basically, in the manga, Nagi was spoiler[(or rather Goddess Nagi) found to have feelings for someone other than Jin. A past boyfriend no less. Another hint in the manga was that she wasn't a virgin.]

This revelation caused a huge otaku storm in Japan with fans destroying their Nagi merchandise and posting pics online. Nagi was called "second hand" online and hentai dealing with the scenario started popping up in retaliation. The franchise hasn't recovered from that incident. The incident prob killed any plans for a season 2 anime imo.

Edit: Fans were even threatening her. (I don't think that I can post this link. So if anyone wants it, PM me. )

That's why I don't think it's as simple as recovering from an illness unless she was thrown into depression from the incident.

This is all complete nonsense overblown by a certain trashy anime blog that people should know better than to take seriously.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
i know nothing about this manga, but i want her to make some kind of hentai chapter with Nagi sleeping around with everyone, just to cause rage Laughing
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
But really Japan needs to learn whats 2D and fake from the 3D world some times

More accurately, otaku need to get over their need for the object of their worship to be absolutely pure.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
You missed out on the fun....

Basically, in the manga, Nagi was spoiler[(or rather Goddess Nagi) found to have feelings for someone other than Jin. A past boyfriend no less. Another hint in the manga was that she wasn't a virgin.]

This revelation caused a huge otaku storm in Japan with fans destroying their Nagi merchandise and posting pics online. Nagi was called "second hand" online and hentai dealing with the scenario started popping up in retaliation. The franchise hasn't recovered from that incident. The incident prob killed any plans for a season 2 anime imo.

Edit: Fans were even threatening her. (I don't think that I can post this link. So if anyone wants it, PM me. )

That's why I don't think it's as simple as recovering from an illness unless she was thrown into depression from the incident.

This is all complete nonsense overblown by a certain trashy anime blog that people should know better than to take seriously.

And the pic of the destroyed collection was a fake too, huh?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:30 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
ninjapet wrote:
But really Japan needs to learn whats 2D and fake from the 3D world some times

More accurately, otaku need to get over their need for the object of their worship to be absolutely pure.

Maybe it's something inherent in their myths and religion. Gods and goddesses are pure beings. So Nagi being a goddess...

Greco-Roman gods and goddesses weren't pure so we don't have the correlation.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote
I'm no expert on theology, but I was always under the impression that Japanese gods were a bit closer to the Greek idea of things than the Christian view of chastity being paramount.

In any case, by "object of worship" I was more thinking of as an anime magical girlfriend fantasy rather than as a goddess... I suspect there'd be similar reactions from the fandom if the character in question wasn't an actual goddess.
Magamish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Those fanboys found out that their waifu was really thinking about someone else and lied to them. Laughing

And this is why character development's going down the shithole, pandering to complete retards who, unfortunately, fuel most of the revenue with their "disposable" income and the hype via 2chan.

Quote:
No sympathies from me for her situation.

You're sweet.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But it shouldn't take a year for carpel tunnel surgery recovery.

Quote:
Returning to strenuous work right after surgery may cause the symptoms to return. Patients generally stay out of work for at least a month and often much longer, depending upon the type of surgery and the severity of the condition. Recovery time appears to be faster with endoscopy than with open release.
Immediately after surgery patients usually experience a decline in grip strength and dexterity. Studies have reported a wide range of recovery in this area. The scar may remain tender for up to a year

So we have the potential of pain for up to a year. I'd gamble she might also worry about her drawing style changing from this so may want to see how it goes. Considering the amount of pain experienced, she may be extremely reluctant to push it. The dancing may actually be part of physical therapy.
The gal I work with who had the elbow thing was encouraged by her doc to do stuff & wound up over-doing it resulting in her taking much longer than originally planned (it sure seemed like a year) so one can see the desire not to destroy the work of the surgery.

Considering the collection of Japanese tales I read once contained more than a few sexual ones, I don't think Japanese were quite as hung up on sex as Christians were. It seemed a lot involved monks/priests/whatever having sex with all the ladies they came across.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
At least this isn't Yoshihiro Togashi announcing another long break from Hunter X Hunter. That is, he does that a lot.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
But it shouldn't take a year for carpel tunnel surgery recovery.

Quote:
Returning to strenuous work right after surgery may cause the symptoms to return. Patients generally stay out of work for at least a month and often much longer, depending upon the type of surgery and the severity of the condition. Recovery time appears to be faster with endoscopy than with open release.
Immediately after surgery patients usually experience a decline in grip strength and dexterity. Studies have reported a wide range of recovery in this area. The scar may remain tender for up to a year

So we have the potential of pain for up to a year. I'd gamble she might also worry about her drawing style changing from this so may want to see how it goes. Considering the amount of pain experienced, she may be extremely reluctant to push it. The dancing may actually be part of physical therapy.
The gal I work with who had the elbow thing was encouraged by her doc to do stuff & wound up over-doing it resulting in her taking much longer than originally planned (it sure seemed like a year) so one can see the desire not to destroy the work of the surgery.

But people aren't off for a year. This is rather extreme if it's carpal tunnel.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I watched the anime and really liked it. So when I hear about this situation and fan uproar it really saddens me. I want the series to continue and conclude in the way its author intended.

I guess I don't get this issue with Nagi having had a boyfriend and not being a virgin. So what?

If the issue is that Nagi is not physically a virgin, then I think the uproar is ridiculous. I don't think virgins are somehow more spiritually pure than non-virgins. If the suggestion is that Nagi is somehow "damaged goods" because she's slept with someone in the past... well, that's just stupid, IMO.

But, if the issue is that Nagi has a *current* boyfriend, and has been "seeing" him behind Jin's back, as it were (Jin can't quite claim to be her boyfriend as of the end of the anime), then I can understand there being some upset people. But considering the issue has just been introducted and was not resolved in any way, then why wont people wait to see what happens before they freak out? Crazy fans, really.

I hope Takenashi recovers, not just physically, but emotionally as well. I hope she understands that for every crazy rabid fan that is flipping out, there are dozens of fans that support her and her work. I'm one of the latter.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Whether she resumes it or not, I thought there was at least enough unanimated material already published for them to animate at least one more "late night" season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3