• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Films Ships 1st DVDs Since Public Unveiling

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
What about the rest of The Company Formerly Known as ADV's catalog? When are we going to see Section23 release all that stuff in its re-branded form? (It's just not gonna be the same without the almighty ADV logo on there)

Also, is there some law that requires all new anime releases to occur on Tuesdays or what?
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Libertarian, for some reason, Tuesday is the release date forr many non-anime DVDs.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Libertarian, for some reason, Tuesday is the release date forr many non-anime DVDs.

Tuesday is just usually the day a lot of new things are released, DVDs, CDs, etc.
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:

And pressed music for that matter.

Ask Yahoo! wrote:
According to features editor Mike Pearson, albums [and DVDs] are released on Tuesdays because sales figures for albums are released on Mondays. While [theatrically released] films are ranked according to weekend sales figures, the billboard charts are determined according to weekly sales. Thus, in order to maximize their sales potential, [units] have to be released immediately after the posting of the previous week's sales figures.

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20040217.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
i sure hope that's not the final version of the logo.

i mean it's clever and all, but as was mentionned, it doesn't really look like anything at first. it's not until you look carefully that you can see what it is. it's much too subtle; if you can't recognize it immediately, it's not going to catch your attention on the spine of a dvd.

also, it needs some color, or something. anything to make it stand out. i think they need something a little more eyecatching if they want to develop some brand recognition.
mangastudent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:51 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
[...] And once they realize the power of a recognizable name we'll probably see a "hyphenated" version of the ADV name make a return like with SNK Playmore.

Emerje

I don't see that. The ADV marks (name, logo, etc.) are assets of A.D. Vision, Inc. that couldn't just be transferred to other companies like the licenses that are the security of A.D. Vision's senior secured lender.

A.D. Vision is shutting down, sounds like a voluntary Chapter 7 liquidation. The licenses could exit because in a liquidation they'd go to that secured lender anyway. Things like marks and office furniture have to stay behind and get auctioned off to satisfy the rest of A.D. Vision's creditors, with the share holders getting any crumbs left (unlikely).

Heck, if you all want them to use the old logo again, bid for it and win, then arrange for neo-ADV to use it (e.g. work out a deal when they pay you back in anime at their cost of goods :-). (That's a not entirely unserious suggestion, but they might not go for it if it takes so long they've established serious brand equity in their new marks and perhaps just plain want to forget about the old ADV.)
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
What about the rest of The Company Formerly Known as ADV's catalog?

I kind of fell into calling them "Neo-ADV" as a catch-all term, sort of like Neo-Zeon (the reorganized remnants of Zeon in Gundam)
siradix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad logo, it's very distinct and will stand out on the DVD spine.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
mangastudent wrote:
Emerje wrote:
[...] And once they realize the power of a recognizable name we'll probably see a "hyphenated" version of the ADV name make a return like with SNK Playmore.

Emerje

I don't see that. The ADV marks (name, logo, etc.) are assets of A.D. Vision, Inc. that couldn't just be transferred to other companies like the licenses that are the security of A.D. Vision's senior secured lender.

A.D. Vision is shutting down, sounds like a voluntary Chapter 7 liquidation. The licenses could exit because in a liquidation they'd go to that secured lender anyway. Things like marks and office furniture have to stay behind and get auctioned off to satisfy the rest of A.D. Vision's creditors, with the share holders getting any crumbs left (unlikely).

Despite what you said, I could still see it as a possibility. This is still looking like the SNK situation. In abbreviated form, the SNK founder and most of the top brass left SNK shortly before going bankrupt in 2001 (due partially to their new owner, Aruze) and started a new company, Playmore, while remaining staff started a new company called Brezzasoft. Playmore then successfully secured SNK's assets and licenses and bought Brezzasoft (which was renamed SNK NeoGeo), among other companies, all within months of the bankruptcy.

I could easily see one of these new ADV offspring winning the ADV assets at auction and then all of them merging into a new ADV incarnation down the road.

Incidentally, Section 23 is probably a reference to either ADV title Megazone 23 or the 23 wards of Tokyo (which is also what the 23 in Megazone 23 was originally in reference to)

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
The Billboard chart is about as relevant as the vinyl 45, with all the self publishing going on for new music on the internet.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
mangastudent wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

Despite what you said, I could still see it as a possibility. This is still looking like the SNK situation. In abbreviated form, the SNK founder and most of the top brass left SNK shortly before going bankrupt in 2001 (due partially to their new owner, Aruze) and started a new company, Playmore, while remaining staff started a new company called Brezzasoft. Playmore then successfully secured SNK's assets and licenses and bought Brezzasoft (which was renamed SNK NeoGeo), among other companies, all within months of the bankruptcy.

I could easily see one of these new ADV offspring winning the ADV assets at auction and then all of them merging into a new ADV incarnation down the road.

Incidentally, Section 23 is probably a reference to either ADV title Megazone 23 or the 23 wards of Tokyo (which is also what the 23 in Megazone 23 was originally in reference to)

Emerje

Actually, it appears that Section 23 is a "tongue in cheek" reference to the Texas law that allowed them to restructure. The law is referred to as "Section 3".
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I personally like Sentai Filmworks over the ACTUAL ADV stuff because for some reason it seems like they put some effort in it. I just wished the Those Who Hunt Elves set came with a better design and more extras.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
I personally like Sentai Filmworks over the ACTUAL ADV stuff because for some reason it seems like they put some effort in it. I just wished the Those Who Hunt Elves set came with a better design and more extras.

I will grant the better case art. The first Princess Tutu set art vs the more recent one is a clear example.

I loved the show a ton, but... there were mispellings and grammar errors with Clannad.
I can let this slide if not too glaring on games (Visual Novels), but a released DVD? Certainly does not seem like more effort.

Some of the recent rereleases from them are repacks of (my guess, total speculation) unsold singles, with the original extras, research is called for and there are several series that I would be willing to pick up if I knew they had the single extras.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
Woohoo, and there's a Section23 sale at TRSI! Just in time for me to order Clannad After Story, and to try out Ghost Hound and Special A.
Also, not digging the new logo as much as the old ADV logo, but that might be because I started out watching ADV anime almost exclusively and it's going to be a bit of a change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2