• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-09-09

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
IT IS TRUE.

not ONLY this, but a beginning...

that's why I will never understand people breakin' up the band over it. If you find that you have some overlapping interests, what OTHER interests do you have to share, and how DO you react when you hear that their car got totalled in a hailstorm, and so forth. This happens in every fandom, regardless if it's the Greenbay Packers or the Literary Readers of Stephen Hawking's works {<-this is a joke... I think?}

I can hardly wait until they pull Kev in on this... I hope he comports himself well. Maybe by knowing astonishing things about the both of them they never expected. It might even creep them out. Evil or Very Mad

"well, I know Nina can belch the Lithuanian National Anthem... and Paola has a crush on garden gnomes..."

gloriously evil.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
What's even worse are people who only talks about sports, especially football. That's all they talk about and nothing else....
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Well, what is friendship other than the exchange of thoughts on and the mutual enjoyment of shared interests?

Uh, there's this whole "general interest, care and concern for another person outside of simple personal taste or hobbies".

A self-delusion.

We end up wasting a lot of time pretending to care about trivialities in friendships, like birthdays, favorite colors, siblings, etc. Obviously what makes us friends with another person is common interest, we should accentuate our similarities, instead of sabatoging our relationships with others with all the padding.

Now, if all you have in common with a person is a single interest, your relationship might not be all that great. But learning the other person's third favorite thing to wear on a summer day isn't going to strengthen your friendship. Nobody cares about those things and it's arrogant to think they do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
ah hot-spring penguin, you forget that the shared interest is also each other... that can be the difference between friend and acquaintance.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Ah, but in all fairness, what does Paola know about Nina? When did Paola mention to Nina that she had a little bro.? it was news to me as well. It's true that you can never know everything about a person, even if you have shared your adult life with them, and even childhood friends can have secrets. Friends and family share information, and stories of their past, but only the ones they want to. Wink
Maryohki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Props to Paola for loving Nodame Cantabile, but I have to disagree with her about the voice casting. Nodame has some of my favorite Japanese voice work ;__;.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
That is true, but not always. Yes, some people, anime fans and non-anime fans seem to have this problem, but not everyone. In fact, hobbies and interests are usually what trigger that closeness. Once you know what people like, it ends up becoming easier to know more about them. I even had non anime friends in high school, and we all got along just fine. We had other interests that we shared, and did lots of things together. I do have one other friend who likes anime, but we hardly ever talk about anime. Actually, she tells me alot about her family. That's sharing something. Maybe some of you have just been friends with the wrong people. You'll find better ones and build lasting relationships.

It also takes time for some people. I'm actually a very shy person. Because of my shyness, when I meet someone, I don't talk much about myself. However I let them talk about themselves. I know it seems unfair, I'm getting to know them, but they're not getting to me, that's what severe shyness/near anti-socialness can do. What I'm tring to say is, some people won't say much about themselves because they are shy.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Zac wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Well, what is friendship other than the exchange of thoughts on and the mutual enjoyment of shared interests?

Uh, there's this whole "general interest, care and concern for another person outside of simple personal taste or hobbies".

A self-delusion.

We end up wasting a lot of time pretending to care about trivialities in friendships, like birthdays, favorite colors, siblings, etc. Obviously what makes us friends with another person is common interest, we should accentuate our similarities, instead of sabatoging our relationships with others with all the padding.

Now, if all you have in common with a person is a single interest, your relationship might not be all that great. But learning the other person's third favorite thing to wear on a summer day isn't going to strengthen your friendship. Nobody cares about those things and it's arrogant to think they do.
That's only when you see life's many encounters are but passing events, while you don't value anything, especially yourself.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

A self-delusion.

thanks for this professor

I'll go back to actually giving a sh*t about my friends' lives and having stronger relationships as a result
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Isn't it sad when you don't really know your friend? Anime hyper
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, I think in college most of my friendships were that way. Luckily I have a group of friends that I had forever. It's much different.
joshuafer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:53 am Reply with quote
Another funny one, thanks !
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
It's hard to develop a friendship without any common interests. Interests are key to the development of a friendship but it takes more than that for a friendship to last. Often it starts with one interest, then more common interests are discovered. Eventually people reach a point when they can talk about anything.

It's also worth noting that friendship isn't a black and white thing. It really runs through levels. Not everyone is a best friend. There are people whom one works with which might be just acquaintances. And there are people who may belong to the same club who are really only interested in one or two things but don't meet outside the club. Most online groups like forums and newsgroups work that way. But one should be careful not to mistake a casual friendship for something more serious.
Kingakuzutto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
LOL I have the same problem with a friend of mine. I don't know anything about him that's not related to anime or manga.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
With my off the wall antics and obsessive anime watching habits, it's not too hard to see why people would find it hard to befriend me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4