Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 2ch Forum's Anime Saimoe Tournament 2012 Quarter Finals


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Vaisaga



Joined: 07 Oct 2011
Posts: 5642
Location: Windsor Ontario

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Whelp, don't have much reason to care anymore Laughing

Though I guess if I had to go for some one I'd go for Nodoka. I never watched Side A so I don't know who those other two are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5085

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Though I guess if I had to go for some one I'd go for Nodoka. I never watched Side A so I don't know who those other two are.


You should fix that, especially if you plan on watching the Nationals arc.

Also Toki's already seen ahead and won this. We can just call it now.

Edit: You will never be as hardcore as Toki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
getchman
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 6047
Location: Cheshire, CT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
watching both series, i learned something: mahjong is really confusing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Sailor S



Joined: 20 May 2009
Posts: 2818

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
The tournament really seems to be losing steam in the last couple years as far as number of voters. Heck, back in 2006 the champion Suiseiseki got 200 more votes in her finals match than all the votes combined in this quarter final. I wonder if there just being too many characters from one show is to blame, or if the people of 2ch just don't care much anymore about Saimoe?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
TnAdct1



Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
The results of the quarterfinals confirms it: Saimoe is in major need of restructuring.

With Madoka Magica last year and Saki this year, it's obvious that Saimoe is suffering a major problem of certain titles being too dominant for the tournament's own good (to the point that it's alienating anime fans who don't care about said shows, especially Saki).

One of the biggest problems: while it claims that it's technically possible, in truth, Saimoe has been cutting down on the amount of international votes, which actually serve as a way to keep the tournament in check and prevent some shows from being too dominant. Saimoe needs to allow international voting in order to save it from the major downfall that it's been having the last couple of years.

If not, then either Saimoe needs to start making shows that have already won the tournament ineligible for future tournament (especially if they're going to hog the final 8 slots) or do things like in 2006 and put all the "stronger" characters from a popular series in the same block.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
What I'm wondering is how Saki isn't getting major antivoting. How could anyone want the finals to be all characters from one show?

TnAdct1 wrote:
If not, then either Saimoe needs to start making shows that have already won the tournament ineligible for future tournament (especially if they're going to hog the final 8 slots) or do things like in 2006 and put all the "stronger" characters from a popular series in the same block.


I think the best way to do it would be to limit 2 characters per series. Do we really need every minor character from one popular show? Thats just asking for trouble.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Vaisaga



Joined: 07 Oct 2011
Posts: 5642
Location: Windsor Ontario

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
You should fix that, especially if you plan on watching the Nationals arc.


Eh... I debating it. While I did enjoy the first season, I wasn't particularly fond of being beaten over the head with the yuri overtext like that (I've established before that I'm not too fond of yuri) Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
NeverSleep



Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I like Saki, but this top 8 was ridiculous, 2 characters from old series and 6 from the same series. The voting structure needs to be fixed, the number of entrants for each series need to be considered. Also blocking International votes isn't helpful at all, it reduces visibility for them, reduces the number of possible outcomes that could be totally different taking into account foreign votes... the it is now it's just proving to be a fraud.

International Saimoe sucks, there are characters from god knows how many ago competing into that, character nomination process and voting system are even worse.

Well, I don't really care about the results though, I know what I like and this won't be changed by Saimoe results.

Edit:

RyanSaotome wrote:
I think the best way to do it would be to limit 2 characters per series. Do we really need every minor character from one popular show? Thats just asking for trouble.

But some side characters can turn out to be really popular because of some meme spawned from it, like Kirame Hanada from Saki (aka Subara http://www.youtube.com/​watch?​v=​b8VSYwXpu_I)

But not having a limit to the numbers of characters of one show is proving out to be the wrong choice, there are some characters from Saki participating that I didn't even know someone cared about or never seen someone at all claiming their love for them, like Toki, it's kinda like the series title alone is carrying them, and this shouldn't happen...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ermat_46



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 217
Location: Philippines

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
The finalists should just play mahjong instead of online poll. Makes you wonder about the legitimacy of this if Biglobe polls have more votes than competitions like this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 2752
Location: earth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:
The results of the quarterfinals confirms it: Saimoe is in major need of restructuring.

With Madoka Magica last year and Saki this year, it's obvious that Saimoe is suffering a major problem of certain titles being too dominant for the tournament's own good (to the point that it's alienating anime fans who don't care about said shows, especially Saki).

One of the biggest problems: while it claims that it's technically possible, in truth, Saimoe has been cutting down on the amount of international votes, which actually serve as a way to keep the tournament in check and prevent some shows from being too dominant. Saimoe needs to allow international voting in order to save it from the major downfall that it's been having the last couple of years.

If not, then either Saimoe needs to start making shows that have already won the tournament ineligible for future tournament (especially if they're going to hog the final 8 slots) or do things like in 2006 and put all the "stronger" characters from a popular series in the same block.


i don't see any problem. If they popular, they win. No matter how many characters are in the tournament. The Idol Master has many characters in the tournament too.

International voting? this is for mostly Japan only. Korean has their own Saimoe type tournament too. US/International has their. It turns out that the US/International one is the worst of them all. They vote for character that's not even moe and/or from very old shows like Cowboy Bebop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5085

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
NeverSleep wrote:

But not having a limit to the numbers of characters of one show is proving out to be the wrong choice, there are some characters from Saki participating that I didn't even know someone cared about or never seen someone at all claiming their love for them, like Toki, it's kinda like the series title alone is carrying them, and this shouldn't happen...


Uhh...you are aware that Toki is easily the most popular character participating on Side A, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
NeverSleep wrote:

But not having a limit to the numbers of characters of one show is proving out to be the wrong choice, there are some characters from Saki participating that I didn't even know someone cared about or never seen someone at all claiming their love for them, like Toki, it's kinda like the series title alone is carrying them, and this shouldn't happen...


Uhh...you are aware that Toki is easily the most popular character participating on Side A, right?


Thats pretty surprising since her design looks like a generic background character
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
getchman
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 6047
Location: Cheshire, CT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:


Uhh...you are aware that Toki is easily the most popular character participating on Side A, right?


would that be because her condition?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5085

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:


Uhh...you are aware that Toki is easily the most popular character participating on Side A, right?


would that be because her condition?


No, its because she's awesome.

There's a reason the show is frequently called "Toki -Senriyama-hen"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
getchman
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 6047
Location: Cheshire, CT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
oh, that's nice
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group