• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Source Codes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That, and I don't know how I was 'drastically changing the meaning'.

You use ALL CAPS making it look as massively trollish as possible. You remove the comedic element making it appear as if the only purpose of the comment is to bash moe. You transform it into a massive generalization by making it about all 'cute girls' and that the only people who like them are freaks.

You have gone from a joke suggesting he doesn't want to be associated with some of the fans of a specific character who are freaky to him declaring in the most trollish way that everyone who likes cute girls is a freak. Big. Difference.

Your version is clearly obnoxious and obviously a massively untrue generalization. His version on the other hand is pretty hard to take issue with. Unless of course you're unaware of the large contingent of fans of Rin who are in fact freaky otaku nut jobs. If you're one of the perfectly normal people who likes Rin, then don't take it personally.

In general, I think that's what moe fans need to understand though. You may be a normal enough person who just likes cute things. However, you're part of a group consisting of a lot of people who are most definitely creepy weirdos. As such, it's only reasonable that your interest will be mocked a fair bit.

Quote:
I have the right to express my opinion on it.

Yes you do but what you don't have is the right to not have anyone disagree with you. People always pull out the 'I have a right to my opinion' card as soon as anyone disagrees with them. It is of course, usually a flawed argument though because the person disagreeing with them is in no way stifling their right to have/express an opinion. They are only using their own same right to state their disagreement. If you don't want people to critique your opinions then you should keep them to yourself because as soon as you express them they're fair game.*

*Assuming in the case of ANN that people are appropriately civil in their criticisms.
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:01 am Reply with quote
You see, that's the thing. His tone DID suggest that anyone that likes to play as Rin, or anyone that likes Rin for that matter, a 'cute girl', is a 'freakjob'. Which is a lot more 'trollish' than my opinion on the matter. Otherwise, I wouldn't have said anything; I'm fine with his gentle mockery; sometimes that's even funny. That, however, was entirely mean-spirited. But who cares? I was just putting a post saying I don't particularly care for it. I didn't intend to discuss it further, like you seem to want to.

Since you think that if I disagree on popular opinion I'm a troll, then I can't change your mind it seems.
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
So were any of the other, older Bleach titles better than this one coming out?
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
So were any of the other, older Bleach titles better than this one coming out?

hmm... nothing to sing home about or show off to your "madden only" friends in hopes to convert them into gamers but they were decent. Most anime games ported to the US are smooth, well thoughtout games that play very well and if you really enjoy that piticular series, you probably won't be disappoint unless its something like Naruto: Ninja Puzzle Mayhem or something random like that. At least they are better then most Movie games.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
But who cares? I was just putting a post saying I don't particularly care for it. I didn't intend to discuss it further, like you seem to want to.

In keeping with my theme thus far, let me highlight a couple more of the common internet rhetoric techniques. Here we have the ever popular "I'm not going to argue over this anymore, but first let me argue about it some more." This allows one to argue their case and then immediately end the discussion before the other person can respond giving them self the last word. The best part though is that even if it fails and the other person responds anyway, they are then forced into the role of 'that guy' who won't let it go despite not actually having done anything at all different from you.

Quote:
Since you think that if I disagree on popular opinion I'm a troll, then I can't change your mind it seems.

Moving on to our second item, the straw man conclusion. Unlike the traditional straw man argument, this is used as an offhand conclusion to an unrelated legitimate argument. By including this legitimate 'buffer zone' the straw man doesn't follow any one specific point and therefore seems less obviously flawed and inaccurate. Yet you are still able to imply the other person is saying something absurd or unreasonable that he clearly never said, thereby discrediting him.

As to your legitimate argument, I don't really know why you would come to such distinct conclusions based solely on his tone. Especially in the case of the hover text which are all clearly intended to be tongue in cheek. It seems like a pretty insubstantial reason to complain. If it really and truly came across that way to you though, then I guess there's not that much I can say to refute that. I really wish you had just initially said this which is reasonable (if also subjective) instead of resorting to all this other nonsense.
Lunarose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wonder if anyone will actually consume these things. I can speak from experience, as a friend of mine gave me a Final Fantasy XII Potion energy drink years ago. It's still sitting, mostly full, in my closet, and not because of its collectible value.

Just curious, but was it because it tasted bad? Even if it did taste terrible, if I had a can of that energy drink and Rydia was featured on it, I'd chug it down regardless. I suppose people might not consume it at all just so it can be nice and unopened, for a collection's sake.
sfried

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Hey Todd, SHANTAE!! NEW SHANTAE!!!

Do not miss that news in your next column.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
BTW, Saber being Catherine the Great would've made for some interesting horse conversations. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4