• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Appleseed Box Office Numbers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jifty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
A film is not meant to be seen in another language than its original intended. Period. Subtitles, properly done are the least layer between the intended experience and a non-OSL speaker necessary.

And was the artwork, arguably the main part of anime, meant to be mucked up with foreign words distracting us from the way the film was originally intended?

If you take your case to the natural conclusion, you should demand that they all be seen raw, without any subtitling that wasn't originally included. After all, we must do this if we are to preserve the integrity of the film.

I am all for watching anime in the way that people are most comfortable with. If you prefer subs, watch subs. If you prefer dubs, watch dubs. Myself, I can go with either, so long as the anime is good. There are, of course, exceptions. I hate Trigun subbed, because the Japanese cast just doesn't seem to be in it. There are bad subs out there, and that's one of them. As for dubs, I hate the dub of Gundam Seed. Gimme the sub any day.

Side quest: Speaking of Trigun, the language spoken on the Planet Gunsmoke is supposed to be english. Does that not mean that the english version is more correct than the Japanese version? Also, look at Chrono Crusade, set in 1920s New York. The sub is good, but I prefer the dub, because of their use of period slang for the characters, as well as better German from one of the characters.

And now this thread is off topic. Razz
Toboe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
The biggest effing success last year was a film in Aramaic with subs, so isn't about time more movie-goers grow up about subs?

The biggest success last year was Shrek 2. That was not in Aramaic nor did it have subtitles (in America anyway) although if it did I might have found it more amusing.

(I know what you mean, but get your facts straight please.)
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Okay, okay, let me at least attempt to get this thread back on subject. Wink

I remember reading somewhere- boxofficemojo.com, I think- that the total box office was in excess of $120K- considering the (severely) limited release and everything, would anyone consider that decent? Take that number and divide it amongst the 31 theaters that showed it- is that decent? Just something to think about.

EDIT- Found the link. It's right here, and the total is actually a few bucks shy of $123K. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3