• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz Media...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I am angry at them for releasing Shippuden as a single set and not going boxset from the start.

Is that really a big deal? The first Shippuden set comes out in January. A 4-month wait is hardly that long.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:37 am Reply with quote
To me it's important because I read the original release date was supposed like in January or February. To compensate for this, they could have released it in boxset from the get go.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
To me it's important because I read the original release date was supposed like in January or February. To compensate for this, they could have released it in boxset from the get go.

Wait, what? So they're releasing the boxset on the original release date (which is when the singles would have come out, so the boxsets would originally be planned for summer 2010), and that's still not enough for you? Unreasonable, much?
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:33 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I am angry at them for releasing Shippuden as a single set and not going boxset from the start.

Is that really a big deal? The first Shippuden set comes out in January. A 4-month wait is hardly that long.

This Naruto singles may be something Japan insisted on when they sold Viz the license. Why would a company want to sell singles? They all know that about 80% of the people who would buy the show will wait for the box set.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:05 am Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:
Why would a company want to sell singles? They all know that about 80% of the people who would buy the show will wait for the box set.

It's the profit-maximizing strategy if you're selling a monopoly good. (All intellectual property has a monopoly component since each work is unique.) The producer wants to extract the highest marginal revenue available from each segment of the market. Singles tap the impatient, intense fans who are willing to pay a premium to have the show as soon as possible. Later you can sell boxsets at a lower price to the less intense fans. Offering only boxsets at the outset means you don't collect that extra revenue available from the intense part of the audience.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:
This Naruto singles may be something Japan insisted on when they sold Viz the license. Why would a company want to sell singles? They all know that about 80% of the people who would buy the show will wait for the box set.

Are you talking about this show in particular or shows in general? If the latter, you're grossly overestimating that percentage. (Believe it or not but there are still plenty of people out there who would happily buy the singles rather than wait an extra few months for boxed sets.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:

Oh, I fully agree with you, Zalis, clearly Viz is a bunch of idiots for not listening to such an obviously reasonable, intelligent group of anime connoisseurs.
If they can't distinguish between reasonable criticism (saying "they don't translate songs on certain DVDs" is not "libel" in any sense of the word) and stark raving fanboy lunacy, then yes, they are a bunch of idiots.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
sailorsarah08 wrote:

Are you talking about this show in particular or shows in general? If the latter, you're grossly overestimating that percentage. (Believe it or not but there are still plenty of people out there who would happily buy the singles rather than wait an extra few months for boxed sets.)

I mean in general. I, myself, can not justify buying a single when the company has a box set release date. I may be too frugal. If it was something that I knew I really loved I may buy the singles just so they make a profit.

I like Viz all in all. Dropping series kinda bothers me (Full Moon) but I can see why they did it. Viz knows you don't pour money in a hole because you are losing money. It's also nice that they have shows on TV.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I usually don't care about Viz's Manga side but as said before, they're a pretty borked company anime wise:

1) Releasing shows Online-Only with dubs on Toonami Jetstream - Because people outside of America don't want to watch.

2) Releasing Edited Only Shows while Uncut Dubs Exist - Happened with Blue Dragon, I believe it happened with MAR, and I'm sure more. Viz paid for Uncut dubs, being released in the UK, but not here.

3) Cancelling Releases Of Shows Entirely - Instead of doing Sub-Only, or Boxset routes Viz has put many shows permanently on hiatus, like Zatch Bell, Full Moon, Prince Of Tennis, MAR, Hikaru No Go etc. If FUNimation can use that DragonBall and Afro Samurai money to negate the series which aren't doing hot, surely Viz can with Death Note, Naruto, Bleach, InuYasha, etc.

5) License Sitting - I'm still waiting for Zoids: Genesis, 3, 4, maybe 5 years since they last mentioned it? Seriously.

doctordoom85 wrote:
Mind telling us what they've edited? So far all I've heard is Greed's cross (FMA), Shikamaru smoking (Naruto, and that didn't even make the Japanese anime.....), and Lee being drunk (which was unedited in the DVDs, but not the manga volumes). Forgive me if I'm not grabbing my torch and pitchfork just yet.

Guess you're not a DragonBall fan? More problems with those releases then I'd care to type at this point. Not just the editing, it's the wonky translation (choosing odd names for things), renaming things themselves (There is no DragonBall "Z" manga by Toriyama in Japan) etc.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:02 am Reply with quote
Meh. I haven't bothered with Viz in forever since they no longer print anything I care about. My only beefs with them is that they never finished either Galaxy Express 999 or Area 88... It'd be nice to see them publish Space Adventure Cobra since they're all about Jump right now but... I have a feeling that'll never happen considering its target audience isn't supposed to know what naked women look like! Anime hyper
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
What I can't stand about Viz Media is they still haven't licensed Rumiko Takahashi's Urusei Yatsura manga, but they licensed her other works and many fans of Urusei Yatsura really want the manga released in the US, another is not releasing a great anime title like Ayashi no Ceres(Ceres:Celestial Legend) as a full series box set or a DVD collection of the Fatal Fury OVA's and movie and puttlng a series like Ogre Slayer(an early anime release of Viz) on DVD, and another is who decides on what ADR studio dubs a title they license, I feel the studio they chose to do Vampire Knight was a bad decision, I can't see Vic Mignogna play Zero Kiryu as well as Mamoru Miyano, Vic's range doesn't even come close in tone to Miyano's. I think the other dub actors chosen don't come close either to the original Japanese seiyuu, after listening to the other anime roles they have performed in.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
mai yukino wrote:
What I can't stand about Viz Media is they still haven't licensed Rumiko Takahashi's Urusei Yatsura manga, but they licensed her other works and many fans of Urusei Yatsura really want the manga released in the US, another is not releasing a great anime title like Ayashi no Ceres(Ceres:Celestial Legend) as a full series box set or a DVD collection of the Fatal Fury OVA's and movie and puttlng a series like Ogre Slayer(an early anime release of Viz) on DVD, and another is who decides on what ADR studio dubs a title they license, I feel the studio they chose to do Vampire Knight was a bad decision, I can't see Vic Mignogna play Zero Kiryu as well as Mamoru Miyano, Vic's range doesn't even come close in tone to Miyano's. I think the other dub actors chosen don't come close either to the original Japanese seiyuu, after listening to the other anime roles they have performed in.

Well, they actually had licensed Urusei Yatsura back in the 90's, but only released 8 or 9 volumes IIRC. But I agree that they really need to bring out the whole thing.

And while there was no complete series boxset, Ceres was released in two 12-episode "collectors edition" sets back in 2003 but I dont think they hade a very large print run, and are now, unfortunately, OOP.

And I wasn't even aware that Vic was going to be in Vampire Knight, but I generally like the dub work that Bang Zoom does, so I might have to check that series out.

Last edited by doubleO7 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Since Im not really a shonen fan, any issues with Naruto or the like don't really bother me. Almost all my manga collection are Viz Signature books, so I really like what they've done in terms of releasing manga the last few years. Dvds are another issue. I'll second the notion that Viz does leave a lot of things unfinished. However again most of the anime they release isn't my thing (the only Viz dvds I own are Saikano, Death Note, and a couple Bleach seasons).

At the moment though I'm having a major beef with them. I'm talking about Monster. If Viz can't get any more dvds out, I'm going to be pissed Laughing .
Jazzmin-anime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Viz like all anime companies has a dark side and a good side. There good voice actors (Sub and dub) aswell as their prints for manga and not butchering the script are good the way they make fun of anime and turn it into a big joke is horrific.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
newave999 wrote:
really.....i love viz media.....especially there website.....i don't know i ,can't read Japanese so i love that they translate weekly shonen sunday.....plus a whole page on rumiko takahashi .....that rules....viz has been my favorite anime company since the days of ranma on vhs..

Is that suppose to be sarcasm? I guess so but maybe it's some new interweb style of writing I don't know of. You damn kids.

OP: while you did overreact a bit I will agree with you that sites like Viz and funimation are not fun to try to navigate through. They give me a tiny headache and just plain annoy me. I really wish they had a more tradition setup with Viz being slightly better to navigate since they have less annoying ad placements. At this point I just bookmarked their video and manga sections so I can completely bypass their front pages.

Manga-wise I'm okay with their edits. I think some are silly (Oh, he smokes. No one ever sees that) but we as Americans have made silly things very serious or troublesome issues so I get why they edited out some stuff. And to my surprise, I realize I don't own many Viz animes. I think the Naruto Shippuden and Bleach movies ang that's about it. Oh and 1 or 2 season of Inuyasha. But like Zalis said, their money properties seem to get the brute of the quality checking so I didn't notice any horrible mistakes. And the Cross Game streams seem to have pretty good translations too. Although when was the last time they licensed an anime besides the next volume of Naruto? Death Note? They might be better now.

Probably the only other thing that annoys me about Viz was their reversed manga publishing. Grant when they started it they had legitmate reasons but they just held onto it for so long afterwards when others realize that a good number of fans were okay or wanted manga in the original format. Not to mention how random it was. Thank goodness for their releasing of those 3 volume books in the original format.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3