• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Surviving tips for units in anime-unfriendly zone?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomarctus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Hello!
There have been topics about this before, but I don't wanted to necrodump them. (3-5 year old topics mostly)
My question is simple:
Is anime accepted at your school/friends/partner etc.... And how much has this changed in the last years? Any surviving tips for those who are in a bad place for their hobby?

My situation:
My family + friends of us: Like it!!!
Well, my little sister is the so called "leader" of the Anime Club at my city, and most of our friend are from the members, so there is no surprise. :)
Other friends of me: They don't care...
They know how I'm so they don't mind it. :) Everyone does what she likes, as long as they don't annoy with it the others.
My girlfriend, and her friends: Hate it... >_>;;;
They think anime is only about girls in miniskirts and such stuff, and that it is childish. (Who says that my Spice and Wolf is childish will die a painful death..... >_<#)

It has changed in the last years only in the number of the members our club has, but that is a good thing to. :) The only thing is that I will have to solve is my GF (Guardian Force XD), who will be really hard to knack. Any ideas how to make someone accept animes, and such stuff generally?

(sorry for my English, I hope that the spellchecker has made it understandable. ^-^;; Thanks. :) )
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry about your english, it's pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

As far as getting your hobby accepted; try dropping some hints and see how she reacts to it.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Gruntsworthy wrote:
Don't worry about your english, it's pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

(Although it's technically "Necro-bump", as in, you're giving a topic a bump up to the top of the list.) Razz

It's most fans' experience that the "haters" just got some bad publicity or saw ONE wrong show (usually because it was on TV, or they got the wrong recommendation from some uber-fan):
The girlfriends would see shoujou and think it's all Sailor Moon, someone else would see Pokemon and think it's all kids' games, some other poor sap might see Eva and think it's all robots and violence, etc.

Secret is to get them to say what they THINK anime is, and find the opposite--If they think it's cute, give them something smart; if they think it's violent, give them something cute; if they think it's cheap kiddie-TV, give them a big-budget movie, etc.
Again, that's a whole other list that always comes up, but could be a good idea to post a guide to positive "Cliche'-Buster" series recommendations for all the standard bad-reps. You don't have to "hook" them as new fans, but you can at least make them look a little more like mainstream dopes. Smile
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
tomarctus wrote:
My girlfriend, and her friends: ...
They think anime is only about girls in miniskirts and such stuff, and that it is childish.

OK, OK. Did they explain what was was wrong with that?

Seriously. I'm age 54, and I'll bet I have read more books than all those girls combined -- classics, nonfiction science and politics, professional, SF, fantasy, contemporary, african-american. My collection includes about 100 first-editions signed by the author. Decades ago I have authored a book (now out of print) and a number of magazine articles.

And I think Spice and Wolf is worth watching. At some point "childish" ceases to be a pejorative and starts to become a virtue. As for mini-skirts, well, I don't have a picture but I bet they're just jealous.
Lasciel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My girlfriend, and her friends: Hate it... >_>;;;
They think anime is only about girls in miniskirts and such stuff, and that it is childish. (Who says that my Spice and Wolf is childish will die a painful death..... Anime hyper#)

So why isn't she an "ex" girlfriend? Cool

Everybody in my family watches anime to some extent except my father... so they're no problem, except my dad won't let me watch "those damned cartoons" in the living room where he has to see them (my dad hates anything animated).

Luckily, having a "nerdy" hobby of some kind seems to be common and more accepted these days. Despite some teasing, I've received almost nothing but positive responses.

My only tip goes for anyone, not just anime fans. If something brings joy into your life, then anyone that would make you feel bad or uncomfortable because of that thing is not someone you need in your life.
animeandshakespeare

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Do you have to like all your girlfriend's hobbies? I don't see why she has to like all of yours. Seems silly. If you make her watch anime with you, you're gonna get stuck watching charmed with her.[/i]
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I do sympathise as up until recently my circle of friencs has been mostly Anime fan less. That has changed however the only thing I can really say is If you completely can't deal with the fact that your girlfriend hates Anime then perhaps you need a different girlfriend. Not tryin to push you into anything but jus throwin it in there as an option Smile

As for the general proliferation of Anime fans and the acceptance of Anime among my peer group I can honestly say that has changed for the better. Some of my friends don't like it when I take other friends aside for a long chat about Anime because they don't get it but still I get to talk some Anime each night out and that's enough. You honstly can't expect everyone to like everything and although the pre judging of Anime is still around it is much less so and getting less as time goes on I think.
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
She doesn't have to like anime. As long as she understands that it's something you like, and she's not trying to force you to give it up, there's no issue here. If she's telling you that you can't watch anime because she dislikes it, time to dump her.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Is anime accepted at your school/friends/partner etc.... And how much has this changed in the last years? Any surviving tips for those who are in a bad place for their hobby?

Well honestly my area has in fact changed more. When I was back in high school a decade ago anime was a geek hobby. If you were a fan you were labeled as a geek and outcasted by the "cool kids" in school. After high school I worked at Sam Goody/Suncoast. They were a music/movie chain for those who don't know. They were owned by the same parent company. In fact many herald the anime bubble bursting (or at least part of it) to when the parent company went bankrupt as they were a major investor in Japan. Something along those lines I believe. I digress though. While working for them anime was having it's boom. It was spreading like wildfire. Now it's never been accepted in the mainstream but back then the fans were growing and anime was becoming more acceptable in social crowds. More and more clubs started appearing in high schools and colleges and cons were popping up everywhere. Still was considered a geeky hobby but at least there were like minded fellows to associate with. In more current times by me anime still has a huge following. The college I went to has an anime club and so does my former high school.

Now as for my friends and family anime actually is more accepted now. My parents always accepted it really. They didn't get it at first but they never hassled me and let me enjoy my hobby to my heart's content. As for my friends most didn't like it at first but over the years I've actually gotten several into it. In fact several go to Otakon with me and a few even go down to VA to Nekocon as well. As for my significant other she too is an anime fan. She got into much later then I did so she's trying to catch up to me and all I've watched and I'm happy to let her borrow anything from my collection. In fact my last 3 girlfriends, including my current, have been anime fans. Guess I've gotten lucky on that.

As for surviving when no one else around you likes it....my advice is ignore them. If you enjoy anime then enjoy it even if everyone else around you doesn't. It sucks if your friends and family don't approve of it but you shouldn't let their opinions ruin anime for you. Watch it and enjoy it.
tomarctus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a lot of relies. Shocked

Mr. Gruntsworthy:
Thanks. Smile I had to learn English when I played Fallout, and to understand fansubs, but I have only little experience with writing my own sentences.
She already knows about my hobby, and in the beginning there was no problem with it.

EricJ:
I think it's bad publicity, we had a really annoying teacher (her subject was media), who has told everyone, that animes are only to make a free ground to pedophiles.... + she hates when I look at other girls, or talk to other girls, etc....

HaruhiToy:
Jealous? Maybe. She hates when I talk with other girls, or the fact that in my class there are mostly girls. I think that she hates that I watch girls in Animes too. Smile

Lasciel:
Because she is extremely cute. Very Happy (except when she is scary.. Twisted Evil ) And I might be strange, but I don't want to break up for something like that, I hate that she wants to change me, but I can simply ignore him. Not the best solution I know.
My father doesn't likes it either that much, but I think that fathers are generally harder to knack. Smile My father wants some more order, and if we watch a really long movie (2+ hours), then she doesn't likes that + she hates stories like: Haruhi Suzumiya or anything not so realistic.

animeandshakespeare:
I like Charmed, so there is no problem with that, we watch movies, and stuff together, recently I have found out that she hasn't seen Angel for example.

RHachicho:
Yeah, a lucky one. Wink We are together since 2 years, and she is actually my first in many ways, I don't want to break up for something so stupid. If she could accept my hobby, then everything would be ok. Sad

At my place, I can see the change mostly in the younger ones, most of the members in our Club are around 14-16. We have some older members too, of course they don't have the time for the meetings.
My surprises where these days:
- It's stranger for most people, that I don't use Windows on my PC, than that I watch animes. Smile
- At my university I have meet a girl who actually draws doujins. And has made graphics for a website.
We have even more cons than before, there have been troubles around the higher-ups, and many smaller fractions have made their own + the biggest importer, and one of your anime magazine made their own.

Thanks for the replies. Smile
Jazzmin-anime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
My family hates it lolz! My friends all like anime. SO just talk about when their interested and try to explain how cool it is to you!! ^,^
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, not sure. I'd say you're lucky for your family to like anime. I actually did get my cousin, who usually thinks its all Naruto and whatnot, to watch Ouran High School Host Club and Peach Girl, but that's about it, I guess. My friend somehwat likes anime. Then again, he said last night that he doesn't hate anime, but doesn't like it, and that DBZ was the only anime he likes, oh and he did compliment the Miyazaki flicks. He also started to base his opinion of Naruto, FMA, One Piece, and DBZ off of their games. Keep in mind he hasn't even seen Bebop. Most other people in my youth group (the male ones, at least), like a few titles, usually Bebop or FMA. Otherwise, anime has become quite mainstream, and alot of people at my school know what it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1