• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime... Was it just a phase in my life? Yours?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naitron

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote
I find myself still loving and having fond memories of all the Anime I have watched. I laughed, cried, even giggled while watching some of the greatest man made pieces of art ever created. However I no longer have the urge to watch it as much anymore. The desire to see this or that show is gone. Is there something wrong with me? Or is it because I grew older?

I got into Anime during the Midnight Run era when only a few great select Anime series was running. Gundam Wing started it off than Tenchi Muyo stole my heart. I started ordering Fansubs (tapes) from a website on the internet (May's Otaku Isle). Spent $700 of my hard earned money from my summer job when I was 14 on anime. Unfortunately I accidentally ended up buying mostly Hong Kong knockoffs off eBay Sad All of which I ended up getting rid of. After my lessons learned I bought R1 dvd official release only. I dreamed of going to Anime cons but never had the money or friends willing to go. I did however accomplish my goal at the age of 21 at 2008 Anime expo, but kind of felt like I missed out cause of how long I waited.

Maybe the saturation of the market has dulled my taste for Anime. It was rare and harder to come by when I was 13-16 and broke. I started watching Mobile Suit Gundam 00 recently and have liked it very much, but not as much as Tenchi Muyo, Nadia, Infinite Ryvius or the older shows I used to watch.

Anyways enough rambling just wondering if anyone else feels the same way?
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:07 am Reply with quote
Not for me at least. I'd put anime on the same level as films. It's here to stay.

I wouldn't say that nowadays I enjoy anime less than I used. Perhaps the same feelings I used to get were replaced by different feelings; feelings that stand on equal ground. However, I still yearn for the old feelings, and perhaps those feelings could be considered the first phase of my anime experience. Pretty much like films, nowadays I couldn't feel the same I felt 5 years ago, but that pretty much goes for films as well. Say, The Lord of the Rings, 5 years ago I enjoyed it so much I re-watched the uncut versions about 3 times within a period of 3 months or so.
Now, what I'm currently living, and also what I'd consider phase 3, after phase 2, which I'd consider the breakdown phase. On "phase 3" my tastes opened up, and I'm capable of enjoying many more shows, and different genres. I'd say that I'm currently living the most advantageous phase, but wishing that phase 4 will never come (assumedly the phase where I'll once again get really picky about which shows to watch, while not exactly reaching the same feelings I could during phase 1). Phase 4 could lead to a burnout which would require a year break and the will to get into it once again.

But if you begin to wonder why you watch anime, make sure to get your Golden Boy DVDs and give it a go.

Last edited by egoist on Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Hulten

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote
These feelings come and go. I mean sometimes you can just fall into a dry spell with anything you may love. Sometimes it just takes time to bounce back. I wouldn't worry.

Then again sometimes you just can't beat the same feeling you get when you first see something as well. Like I said before just give it time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:37 am Reply with quote
I am about 18 months or so into my anime "phase." During that time, it's been a rare day when I haven't watched a few episodes of anime (and very often more than a few). My assumption has always been that my anime appetite would eventually moderate itself naturally - something I still assume will be true even though it hasn't happened yet.

I am past the First Stage - that's the stage where EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!! Actually, watching Divergence of Eve cured me of that, but it has become even more pronounced. I still tend to be more forgiving than a lot of more experienced anime fans; I think I'm still far away from the seemingly inevitable EVERYTHING SUCKS!!! stage.

My hope is that even if my passion for anime wanes, that it will continue to be an important entertainment source for the rest of my life. But, it is entirely possible my taste for it will dry up as quickly as it exploded.
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:06 am Reply with quote
I think initially the strangeness of anime is what makes it seem so awesome for people. For many, it's totally unlike what they're used to, so they tend not to notice the imperfections and the problems. Then as you watch more of it, it's not so strange and new, and it loses some of it's wonder. You get to a point where it becomes like film or television from your home country, and you start to notice the flaws in things more. I think this is a natural progression to go through, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I just try to watch the best shows out there at any given time, so that watching anime doesn't feel like a chore. You don't have to watch every episode of each show that comes out. Pick and chose to optimize the experience for you, and I bet you'll wind up enjoying things much more again.
lumclaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
Lack of money limits it. So even though I enjoy most anime, no matter how oddball or obscure, even if I'll forget right afterward... I'm finding myself forced to train the focus on those I especially love. It'd destroy my budget if I didn't.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote
My previous entertainment obsessions have tended to wane and disappear after about two years. Anime doesn't seem to have reached that yet though, and I hope it won't Smile
wm4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
Replace Anime with Astronomy/Hi-fi/Motocycles. It is more related with passion than age/phase. I don't think it is good to feel guilty for the changes of feel with a particular hobby.

Judged by the list of the animes you are crazied at, I can understand that you will feel bored with many recent shows. Let's see if you would be interested with shows like Code Geass, Shigofumi, Kamichu, and in less extends, Tengen Toppo and Kannagi
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote
If it's a phase, it's been one long phase (10 years and running at this point.)

I don't think it's really a matter of anime being 'a phase', nessecarily... all media changes over time. It's to be expected that, at some point, it will change away from what your tastes are. I still buy anime, but I do buy at a much, much slower pace these days- in the past, I used to have to prioritize shows to figure out which to buy during this sale and which to buy next sale. These days I have to check if I even want enough to make an order. But I still look forward to those 1 or 2 shows when I do buy them.

Oddly enough, one of the most enjoyable things I've been doing lately is 'backtracking'- getting older anime that isn't available on DVD, or that I missed in my early fandom days. I just picked up Nadia a little while ago, for example (and I look forward to watching it for the first time.) It also helps pull away the nostalgia and remind you not all of it was good back then- I just watched Gude Crest, it was only 'ok' (but the trailers did teach me anime was used in that 'Planet Jackson' clip from MTV years back, so I'm happy.)

Don't be too worried about it- think of it as your tastes refining. We don't have as much free times as we used to- why waste it on bad anime? Unless you're doing it on purpose of course *glances at copy of Garzey's Wing* Laughing
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
It's only been 4 years for me, but I don't see this "phase" ending anytime soon. Having already seen about 100 series that ranged from good to excellent, I've still got tons of series on my "wish-list", and even if by some miraculous chance NONE of those series were any good, I still have those 100 in my collection just waiting to be rewatched.
burntlettuce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
A little under two years for me. But I think it's safe to say that I will try to continue to watch anime for as long as I can. There are still a ton of quality series out there just waiting for me to find them. And as long as that remains true I am fairly confident that I will continue to watch anime. But hey, no one knows what the future holds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
an.atticus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
I've been into anime for maybe 8ish years, there was a time where i was watching a full 26episode series a day back when I didn't have a life. Now i'm still buying a series or 2 every week, but I dont get allot of time to watch them. I do watch them when I can though.

I recently re watched yu yu hakusho and finished FMP TSR and scrapped princess. So anime wasn't just a phase in my life. Its here to stay with me.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I've been into anime for about 15 years. I have hit dry spells in the past but they always ended and I was happy. I am currently in a real dry spell where I haven't watched a single episode in maybe 6 months.

I still enjoy the art form but I just cannot seem to find the time to follow my heart and hobbies. Thats what happens when real life actually starts. Jobs. Bills. Rent. I am sure a lot of people know where I am coming from on this.

It may be a phase but it may just be you growing out of something that once held all your attention. You may have more important things to think about. Anime is not going away. You will always fund your way back someday! Very Happy
Hyperone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, I wouldn't say it's a phase so much as something I enjoy here and again.

It's been about 6 years or so since I first knew of it and I have never really watched it intently. I'll catch a series here or there and watch it to conclusion.

Then again, there are VERY few things I have ever stuck with enough to push past the phase stage. In fact, only one. Thankfully, I was born in what will likely be seen as the golden age of gaming.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Naitron wrote:
Anyways enough rambling just wondering if anyone else feels the same way?

Can't say that I have and this is ~30 years of anime viewing. The key is moderation. Anything in excess is going to cause burn-out, so don't feel bad you don't have the excitement to rush "this or that".

Take some time away, enjoy other things. Then, when you're ready to return, pace yourself.

Anime's pretty much the only thing I watch now. The only downside is not having 1000+ titles, because the 150ish I have are getting a little stale.

Yes, I could stream, but I just get too lazy to hook everything to the TV (though I do have plans to rectify this situation with a permanent PC to be used as a media center).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2