• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Ageless Beauty

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The game's artwork shows a style slightly more simple and anime-like than the earlier games in the series, as shown in comparisons between Tokimeki Memorial 4's Maki Hoshikawa (left) and the original's Shiori Fujisaki (right).

I wouldn't say that one is more anime-like than the other. It's just the difference 2-3 decades of evolution in art style makes. If you wanted to say it looks more modern, then that makes more sense.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Hm, MuraMasa almost makes me wish I had a Wii. However, I'm not willing to shell out $200 just for that and Smash (never really liked Mario, Zelda, Metroid, or any other 'Nintendo' games for that matter).

Star Ocean 4 coming over to the PS3 is no surprise. After seeing Bioshock, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia (and probably more) make their way to the PS3 after being touted as 360 'exclusives' I figured it'd end up on the best system out there in due time (especially given where it started). I wonder how much these timed exclusives really help at this point. I imagine there must be more people out there like me that either 1) wait for the PS3 release or, if that doesn't come, 2) doesn't buy the game for the sexbox anyway till it hits gutter prices in the used department. I mean after buying some of these 'exclusives' (Tales of Vesperia, Bioshock) I'm a bit cautious about purchasing 360 titles (more in the JRPG department than anything), especially given that their PS3 release tends to be upgraded. What I find hilarious though is it appears that the team developing ToV used the money M$ gave them for its timed exclusivity to help fund the PS3 development (which had better see a North American release!). Now I just wonder when Star Ocean 4 will be hitting NA shelves. I would prefer not to import.

Nier seems interesting enough. I really hope they don't have a hermaphrodite in there just to say 'hey, look at me, we're being different!" like I felt Shangri-la did with transvestites. I'll be keeping my eye on it though.

Wow, I had completely forgotten about Afrika till you mentioned it. I have no interest in the game myself, but it's just one of those games that I can put under the 'unique' column for the PS3. Granted that Pokemon game pretty much did the same....but with pokemon.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Muramasa is definitely worth the price of admission and as Vanillaware is a smaller developer they should be rewarded for their efforts. Makes me wonder what kind of theme they'll do next.

As for TvC, if the new characters are in fact real then it baffles me that Capcom didn't stick in Nero or Dante from DMC as they would have been perfect for that kind of game.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Not to be the PC police here, but you really ought to use the term "intersexual" rather than "hermaphrodite" when talking about a person.

Its my (very unscientific) understanding that hermaphroditism is a subset of intersexuality suggesting a particular physical abnormality. In this case the word hermaphodism would be appropriate?

I think its cool we are getting a futanari character in mainstream videogaming Smile
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
Hm, MuraMasa almost makes me wish I had a Wii. However, I'm not willing to shell out $200 just for that and Smash (never really liked Mario, Zelda, Metroid, or any other 'Nintendo' games for that matter).
Isn't Smash a 'Nintendo' game...?

Quote:
PS3, best system
What.

Quote:
(especially given where it started)
Given where what started?

Quote:
I wonder how much these timed exclusives really help at this point.
Hard to say. For the Japanese games like ToV and SO4, probably not much, but Eternal Sonata bombed even compared to the 360 version and BioShock had the sales of a game that was a year old (not bad, but not that good, either).

Quote:
I imagine there must be more people out there like me that either 1) wait for the PS3 release or, if that doesn't come, 2) doesn't buy the game for the 360 anyway till it hits gutter prices in the used department.
In Japan, there are probably a fair amount of people like that. Doubtful outside of Japan, though.

Quote:
especially given that their PS3 release tends to be upgraded.
They have to be, otherwise Sony says "DO NOT WANT", which is a policy that more or less crippled the PSP in North America.

Quote:
sexbox, M$
Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I would prefer not to import.
I wouldn't either, with the price tag Square Enix puts on their Japanese games.

Quote:
Wow, I had completely forgotten about Afrika till you mentioned it. I have no interest in the game myself, but it's just one of those games that I can put under the 'unique' column for the PS3. Granted that Pokemon game pretty much did the same....but with pokemon.
Yeah, so let's just pretend that an idea was already done didn't really happen so we can pretend PS3 games are actually doing something new.
stopher87

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
UPDATE: Afrika got pushed back a week and now comes out on Oct. 6th.

http://spawnkill.com/afrika-to-trample-poachers-a-week-later-new-official-release-date/
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Not to be the PC police here, but you really ought to use the term "intersexual" rather than "hermaphrodite" when talking about a person.

Its my (very unscientific) understanding that hermaphroditism is a subset of intersexuality suggesting a particular physical abnormality. In this case the word hermaphodism would be appropriate?

I think its cool we are getting a futanari character in mainstream videogaming Smile

I just hope they don't make her a playable character, because staring at that thong for the whole game would make me extremely uncomfortable.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
In regards to Sky Crawlers, at the very least I hope they get the same English voice actors who worked on the dub of the movie, for consistency's sake. Then again, I haven't seen the dub, so heck, maybe they'd be better off not doing that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Article writer should've looked around a bit more before posting this. "Like other Japanese PlayStation 3 games, it's region-free, and that should please fans who don't want to wait for its likely North American release."

Been confirmed to have a feb release date in US as well, same day if i recall correctly. No point in importing..unless you wanna spend MORE money.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I was planning to get Muramasa DAY 1, but with a shortage of funds and after hearing the "lukewarm" gameplay impressions, I thought I'd hold back and wait for a price drop.

I had heard of Nier, but this article was the first I really read up on the game. Sounds interesting!

As for TvC, not the best selection IMO, but I'm happy with the characters. The more the merrier! It seems appropriate when you think about it. Capcom's 2 most popular franchises, Street Fighter and Megaman, now have 3 characters each. And Tatsunoko's 2 most popular franchises Yatterman and Gatchaman have 3 characters each.

I don't know exactly how it works but I'm sure Capcom had to pay a lot for licensing issues. Not just in America but ALL of Europe (or at least a lot of the big companies) So I think it's possible they just couldn't afford to bring a new franchise into the mix aside from Tekkaman Blade.

With Ai-chan I just couldn't understand her complete absence in the first place. I mean not playable is one thing, but she doesn't appear ANYWHERE in the game. As I saw someone else put it, it's like Having James of Team Rocket without Jesse. It's just... not right.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Sonic: To quote Eric Cartman to some degree, "Oh boy Super Fail is at it again", because that's all I can say. The hordes of 13 year old Sonic fanbois will cry with praise at yet another Sonic game which will probably fail to churn out decent sales and may or may not add yet another cookie cutter woodland idiot to join Sonic's spazzy adventure to stop the fat doctor. Piles of lame fanart will follow as will more hopeless players expecting something amazing. Seriously Sega, put the axe in the rodent already. I'm sorry to be so negative and spiteful, but there is no longer anything to like about Sonic's games. It's been that way for years now.

Nier: What is that supposed to be in the screenshot? It looks like someone tried to draw Gojira and then gave up halfway lol Anime hyper

Star Ocean LH I: Oh now they decide to release the game with both audio tracks. Believe me, a lot of people would have swapped instantly to Japanese acting considering the average acting of the current version. Well, I'm sure some importers who felt gypped due to Star Ocean LH's crummy English dub will probably get this one before it comes here. I wonder if they'll make Welch playable again (not likely I know) Anime hyper

Muramasa: Hey now, Odin Sphere was laggy but its story was beautifully dramatic, moreso than Muramasa. Believe me, this latest creation of Vanillaware may be a visual masterpiece, but that really isn't an excuse to simplify the story to such a weak level. I was expecting some decent drama. I'm kind of surprised they decided to drop any notion of English acting. But most people did say they preferred the English dub of Odin Sphere (it was acted better, due to the archaic way of speaking). Maybe leaving it in Japanese was so it could keep the feel of an original movie or something.

Persona PSP: Definitlely something for us fans who wanted the original game without all the silly alterations they made.

Quote:
Get Excited If: The original game's cries of “PERSONA!” still echo somewhere in your subconscious.

You have no idea. The Americanized Persona had some pretty good English acting, despite it was just battle cries. Philemon sounded pretty good in English, whoever his actor was : )

Last edited by belvadeer on Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
DFBTG wrote:
Isn't Smash a 'Nintendo' game...?

Quote:
PS3, best system
What.

Quote:
(especially given where it started)
Given where what started?

Quote:
I wonder how much these timed exclusives really help at this point.
Hard to say. For the Japanese games like ToV and SO4, probably not much, but Eternal Sonata bombed even compared to the 360 version and BioShock had the sales of a game that was a year old (not bad, but not that good, either).

Quote:
I imagine there must be more people out there like me that either 1) wait for the PS3 release or, if that doesn't come, 2) doesn't buy the game for the 360 anyway till it hits gutter prices in the used department.
In Japan, there are probably a fair amount of people like that. Doubtful outside of Japan, though.

Quote:
especially given that their PS3 release tends to be upgraded.
They have to be, otherwise Sony says "DO NOT WANT", which is a policy that more or less crippled the PSP in North America.

Quote:
sexbox, M$
Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I would prefer not to import.
I wouldn't either, with the price tag Square Enix puts on their Japanese games.

Quote:
Yeah, so let's just pretend that an idea was already done didn't really happen so we can pretend PS3 games are actually doing something new.

It's official: Sony fanboys continue to rationalize their Nintendo hatred. Meanwhile, the people who don't care are now enjoying Murasama and Scribblenauts.
Agoston

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Lots of good and bad things about this:

Good:
Muramasa - Very nice sidescroller, rented it this saturday, I don't think it's worth a buy but I can't think of anything more worthy of a rental for the wii. Beautiful graphics, even if they repeat a fair amount, decent story, check it out if you have a wii.

Persona PSP - I've always really wanted to try this, might make dusting my PSP off worthwhile.

Nier - Shots look awesome, might be worth getting.

Bad:

KATAMARI FOREVER ONLY FOR PS3? RAAAAAAGE

Afrika - Not exactly bad, but wasn't this game supposed to come out years ago? I think I remember it being used as a tech demo for ps3.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:
Lots of good and bad things about this:

Good:
Muramasa - Very nice sidescroller, rented it this saturday, I don't think it's worth a buy but I can't think of anything more worthy of a rental for the wii. Beautiful graphics, even if they repeat a fair amount, decent story, check it out if you have a wii.

Persona PSP - I've always really wanted to try this, might make dusting my PSP off worthwhile.

Nier - Shots look awesome, might be worth getting.

Bad:

KATAMARI FOREVER ONLY FOR PS3? RAAAAAAGE

Afrika - Not exactly bad, but wasn't this game supposed to come out years ago? I think I remember it being used as a tech demo for ps3.

What about the Shantae sequel? That's right there is big news...
MetatronM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, this new Sonic title might lend itself to the latter's delusions more than usual, since the PR line promises a 2-D Sonic game with an emphasis on speed that “brings Sonic back to his 2-D roots.” On the other hand, it's nicknamed “Project Needlemouse,” which sounds like some episode of the Sonic cartoon too horrible to be aired. The game's home console is unknown, and no screens have yet emerged.

How is the name "Project Needlemouse" an "on the other hand" to bringing Sonic back to his roots? Needlemouse was the original codename for Sonic the Hedgehog when it was originally in development. That's as "back to his roots" as it gets.

Whether it'll be terrible or not is another matter altogether. Very Happy

We shall see...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3