• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Longest manga in history.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coykiesaol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:11 am Reply with quote
what's the longest running manga in history? do you know what it is? is it still running today? How many chapters does it have? does it have an anime adaption?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
What the hell, I'll just answer all your posts today. Wink

I don't know what the longest is, but the longest series I've encountered is Ouke no Monshou by Chieko Housokawa. It's somewhere in the 70s of volumes and did get an anime adaptation in the 80s, just a couple episodes, I believe. It's a shoujo epic about Ancient Egypt and the modern (read: 1970s) American girl named Carole who gets pulled back in time. It reminds me a bit of Red River, actually, but with less sex. Carole's not as proactive as Yuri, but the story's intriguing and the author makes an effort to distinguish between nationalities in terms of facial features, not just screen tones. It's worth a read.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, Princess_Irene, but I can beat you! [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kochira_Katsushika-ku_Kameari_Kōen-mae_Hashutsujo]Kochira Katsushikaku Kameari Koenmae Kashutsujo[/url] has been running since the 70s and as of now has 171 volumes. Yes, 171 volumes, it's kinda mind blowing if you ask me. And it's still running! Continuously in a weekly magazine!

Golgo 13 is also pretty long lived and still ongoing, has 148 volumes as of now. Since it kinda ran on and off, the other one counts as the longest running manga ever.

Not even Case Closed with its 70 volumes can compare to either of these two! I wonder what a shelf with all of these two series would look like, man, they are about equal to half of my collection (which is almost 600 volumes)
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Well I think I might know the answer, but not from first hand experience. I know of two manga which could be the strongest contenders for the title of "longest running manga", but I've never actually read them before.

First there's Sennin Buraku which might be the oldest manga that's still running. It started it's run in 1956 and is still going today. Apparently it's a adult romantic comedy set in ancient China. In that amount of time it's made quite a name for itself getting a live action film and an anime series. Oh yeah, the crazy thing is that the whole thing is made by one guy. He's been working since 1956 and is still going strong, that's just crazy.

There's also Kochira Katsushika-ke Kameari Koen-mae Hashutsujo (that's mount full). It's been running since 1976 and to date has 171 volumes. And it's long running history makes it the longest running manga in Weekly Shonen Jump. Over the course of it's life, the series has gotten a special, a tv series, and 2 movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Peroxid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote
the first title that came to my head was Sazae-san, but after I looked it up in on wiki, I realized that it has only 40 volumes. But if I recall it correctly it's the biggest anime (6345+ episodes according to wikipedia).

BUt I'm pretty sure that Kochikame is the longest manga (so far, since Tite Kubo just announced that Bleach isn't halfway through).
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Sorry, Princess_Irene, but I can beat you! [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kochira_Katsushika-ku_Kameari_Kōen-mae_Hashutsujo]Kochira Katsushikaku Kameari Koenmae Kashutsujo[/url] has been running since the 70s and as of now has 171 volumes. Yes, 171 volumes, it's kinda mind blowing if you ask me. And it's still running! Continuously in a weekly magazine!

Aargh! Ya got me!!

But what's the longest running shoujo? Now I'm curious. Ouke no Monshou has been going monthly in "Princess" since 1976...is it a contender?
Peroxid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But what's the longest running shoujo?

What about Glass Mask? It's still on-going, right?
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:56 am Reply with quote
Isn't Jojo's Bizarre Adventure another long running manga right behind Kochikame?
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Isn't Jojo's Bizarre Adventure another long running manga right behind Kochikame?

Yeah, Jojo's is a pretty long manga but it only ran from 10 years, at least that's the case with the original series. But in the end it had (according to ANN) 80 tankoubon so it's quite an impressively long manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
timesteel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
here is a list of the longest running manga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_manga_series_by_volume_count
amulyaa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo is the longest manga in history with 171 chapters. and with tha fact it is still going.
Nokcha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Why do they bother with continuing the series?

They should just end the story with a satisfying climax, and not drag on until the plot just gets all muddled and pointless.

But despite that, Conan places in my top 10 list of favorite mangas.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Nokcha wrote:
Why do they bother with continuing the series?

They should just end the story with a satisfying climax, and not drag on until the plot just gets all muddled and pointless.

Ratings ratings ratings, a lot of mangaka are pressured by their editors to continue the series on if it's really really popular. Case in point, Dragon ball Z. Toriyama wanted to end it after the Freiza Saga, but the show went on anyway.

Now why they pressure them to continue on the series vs the mangaka ending the series and starting a new one? Well, the point of a lot of series is to sell merchandise. Lots and lots of merchandise, most of which won't come out over here (we get some stuff, like wallscrolls and keychains and a few plushies), so why not continue it for the sake of selling more junk if it's too highly profitable?

So if ratings are money and money is ratings, some series might very well never end unless the mangaka has the balls to put his or her foot down and end the damn thing. Rumiko Takahashi did end Maison Ikkoku in a pretty timely manner, but Ranma 1/2? That went on for 36 volumes, bit long for a romantic comedy, but it's comething to come back to every week for years, the audience must enjoy it.

You'd think audiences would get fed up after like 30 volumes, but keep in mind that while we tend to get manga in huge chunks at a time over here in America, in Japan they get little bites every week or sometimes every month (or bi-monthly, lots of options) via magazines and won't necessarily buy the tanboken (probably only for series they really like). And these series run for years! Ending on a cliffhanger is a great way to get your audience back next week too.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Well Berserk has been going on for about 21 years and has only 35 volumes now at this point. At the pace it's been going it will be another 10 years before its even close to finishing.

Though I have read some of Golgo 13 a while back and remember that it originally came out back in the mid to early 70s and is still on going, but there is no continuous plot from book to book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
I believe the longest shoujo manga is Patalliro with 85 volumes (not including various side-story volumes, such as Patalliro Genji Monogatari! or Housekeeper Pataliro!, which would put it over 100 volumes) and still running in Bessatsu Hana to Yume. Glass Mask isn't actually that long ("only" 40-odd volumes), since the author took a break or few mid-series. There's something oddly fascinating about series that can go on and on for decades like these and the others people have mentioned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2