• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-09-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I personally never understood manga vs. anime debates. What difference does it make? I personally prefer anime, because most manga just go for 30+ volumes with no conclusion in sight and I tend to want to see/read things from beginning to end and not get disappointed. Manga just tends to drag out longer. Plus, missing volumes is a killer when you can't find 'em,

Why did Answerman suddenly bring out Narutards all of a sudden?
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for bringing up the utter insipidness of Manga vs Anime arguments, and the superiority complex that some overzealous manga fans have over anime.
You can't go one post on an anime forum without someone critically analyzing the anime frame-by-frame against it's manga (and most of the time, these occur in anime threads, where you talk about what you thought of the episode/show).

Personally, I mostly watch anime, because I need moving pictures to sate my short attention span, but occasionally I will indulge in a manga. Never both.
Honestly, I don't get how people can do both the anime and manga. Unless the adaptation is vastly different (Negima?!), you already know what's going to happen, so what's the point? I'm not being hostile here, but I would like someone to interpret the benefit of doing both anime and manga of the same series.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Avacado Burger wrote:
Honestly, I don't get how people can do both the anime and manga. Unless the adaptation is vastly different (Negima?!), you already know what's going to happen, so what's the point?

As I said in an earlier post, I only read the manga of a show I felt unsatisfied with. In the case of Ai Yori Aoshi, the show had a bunch a holes and I hated the ending and found the manga volumes for $2.50 each at a local book fair. I got Girls Bravo because the show was very hit or miss with it's comedy, while I find the manga to be more hit with only the occasional miss. Some I plan on getting are Kare Kano because the anime was cut short due to disputes, Ouran because the ending was bad and Fruits Basket because the ending wasn't bad, but sudden (if that makes sense). I also have Princess Resurrection because I didn't want to buy sub-only DVD's.

I'm experimenting with Rosario + Vampire to do the whole 'read the manga and watch the adaptation' thing. Other than those examples, I don't read the manga of a show I was satisfied with or plan on watching the anime sometime in the future.

A fun thing I've noticed is that since I've already seen the show and most likely the dub, I hear the VA's voices in my head as I'm reading along. It makes reading that much more fun.

Those are my reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
This has been a very interesting thread to read for someone who reads virtually no manga (I haven't bought comics in almost 20 years; last titles I collected were Donald Duck and Judge Dredd reissues - how's that for diversity?).

The problem I have with manga generally is that lay-outs are too scattered, and art style can be inconsistent. On the other hand, anime uses a standard frame, making it easier to follow, and character designs are refined to their essentials. Physical comedy also works better in anime, where you can introduce the important element of timing.

I agree with previous poster that, for an anime watcher, the best approach is to seek out mangas of shows that had potential but were unsatisfactory.

I also agree that anime adaptations should aim to provide a complete story rather than a non-ending. Some hardcore manga fans will complain, but then they'd probably be complaining anyway!
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Some hardcore manga fans will complain, but then they'd probably be complaining anyway!

True, true. Smile
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Speaking of Hellsing, I've heard at convention panels that the "Arucard" used in the DVD subs is a result of the Japanese insisting that it be that way. Because "it's Dracura backwards." And yet Geneon / NGP got the blame for it.

It's actually because of the whole insistence on using Arucard in the subs that one person I know completely missed that it was Dracula spelled backwards. We were talking about it, and he kept saying "Arucard" and I asked why. He mentioned that the subs spelled it that way, and of course thought that must be right. Then I pointed out that if you pronounce it with an L like in the English, it is Dracula backwards, like it's supposed to be.

Of course there are other cases where the Japanese will admit that their command of English isn't so hot at times, like in that Otacon panel ANN streamed. In that case the R1 subtitle writers were in a bind because they used one spelling and then the animators later used something else and when they asked the Japanese company what to do, they were told to continue as they had been because chances are the animators didn't know how to spell the name to begin with. I can certainly understand the desire to maintain control over your product, but sometimes you just have to trust judgments of those with more experience. In fact, that even applies to the anime compared to manga discussion.
kailegh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:

Two words:

Disney Ninjas
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
I personally never understood manga vs. anime debates. What difference does it make? I personally prefer anime, because most manga just go for 30+ volumes with no conclusion in sight and I tend to want to see/read things from beginning to end and not get disappointed. Manga just tends to drag out longer. Plus, missing volumes is a killer when you can't find 'em,

Well usually when you go into the whole manga vs anime debate, you usually only compare series that exist in both mediums: either manga to anime or anime to manga. There's really no point comparing anime only or manga only series.

So the comment about hating a manga being 30+ long and seemingly endless doesn't really hold up cause its anime counterpart is "usually" the same. They are just as long minus a minority of series who either go off and create their own ending or story or go with fillers or bombs and just aims to end by seasons or mid season with 20+ or 12 - 14 episodes. Even then those series are hit and miss. But even longer series are hit and miss too. And really alot of anime to manga are misses... But like I said that's only when you compare series in both mediums which is generally the point of discussion.

And why naruto? Cause its the current big series now a days worldwide. Also cause it was able to do 2 unbelievable things as an anime adaptation run. 1) it did nearly 2 YEARS of fillers in a row. and 2) It survived those 2 years if filler for the most part. This really created a rift between fans and for a number of people, killed their interest in the anime version even though new fans are introduced to the series via the anime for the majority of it all.

As for why people watch series which are super faithful to the pacing of the manga, it's probably alot of things but basically its just seeing the scenes or moments you fell in love with or just really enjoyed in motion. The mix of motion and music. Does it live up to your imagination? Does it exceed it? Or did it fall short? Its really no different from Movie adaptations of big book series like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. Why do you want to see those movies if you've already read the books? To see it move from your imaginations into reality and to see the scenes or moments played out.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Of course, we all know the real issue with Utawarerumono wasn't the title (which whouldn't have translated into anything that whould have sold it EITHER) spoiler[No, the real problem is the show wasn't very good >P]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3