• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei, William Winckler Prod., Rioloco Dub 23+ Features

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
I think they would do better had they decided to target collectors in full unedited form, perhaps even dubless. I mean especially with the Leijiverse stuff. I would've preferred that they use the money spent on dubs to remaster the Leijiverse materials (GE, Harlock) as we've seen with stunning results from other companies like with Utena, Outlaw Star, Gunbuster, etc.

Just with Harlock alone, there's simply no way you can shrink a 42 ep TV series + 22 ep TV series (Harlock SSX) + 2hr movie into just two movies! Sad
(I take it that's what the announcement meant by feature-length films Captain Harlock I and II)

But even if they ended up with no more immediate profit, surely this way will benefit the community more and probably still benefit them more financially in the long run as long as they keep them in print.
Heck, I'd like to see them rescue the out-of-print 2002 Captain Herlock OVA series (boxset listed at amazon for $128! Shocked )
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
Has anyone actually seen William Winckler's Tekkaman dub? It's hilariously awful. Granted those were done way back in 1984, I'm not expecting them to do any better now.

It's still a surprise, they just came back out of nowhere.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Heck, I'd like to see them rescue the out-of-print 2002 Captain Herlock OVA series (boxset listed at amazon for $128! Shocked )

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/yVMB1ElGBikOy4T6fh/browse/search/5/4/0/0/results/desc/asc/50/1

Or it's $16 if you use the right website. I doubt the boxset gives you anything more than a cardboard box.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Considering the fact that these shows are already too old by today's anime standards

Ashita no Nadja is from 2003, hardly what I'd call old. I hope we get a subbed version at crunchyroll, like with Pretty Cure.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Or it's $16 if you use the right website. I doubt the boxset gives you anything more than a cardboard box.

Ah, I was looking for the box but thanks for the find! 4x$4 is by far the best new so far
(btw link is invalid; probably relies on your local cookies)
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
First I yelled "Yes! Yes! YES!!" and laughed then punched the air.

Then I read it completely and released that they will destroy my dream ...

No way would a company to be so suicidal to release 72 episodes of Starzinger ... of course they will slice it up.

And to think I was going to have the complete Harlock series on DVD. My dream was so close.

I wish that a company WOULD be so suicidal to release ALL of the episodes of Harlock. And a dub with it. But that ain't going to happen.

This is the second time that I didn't read an article properly and was disappointed. *sigh* I gotta stop doing that ...
darcerin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
Well, now I know why Sailor Moon isn't on that list. *sigh*

I was really hoping when I clicked on the link it would be there, now that I know they're splicing them into movies, I'm kind of glad.

I don't know why Toei is withholding their most popular old anime. They stand to make some serious bux if they released SM rights to the US again.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
paploo wrote:
1- The thing with digital distribution is that it's not really making money yet. Not real money anyways- Funimation, Media Blasters and others mostly use it as a form of advertising, an extra revenue source, or a way to profit off of existing materials..... DVD's are still where most of the money is, and the home video market looks to be exactly what Toei's aiming for with these [anyhoo, they can have their cake and eat it too, considering they're doing this alongside their existing subtitled streaming efforts. They're also dubbing shows entirely for TV broadcast as seen in their dub of Bobobobobobo for CN (Illumitoon was just the dvd distributor), and their dub of Pretty Cure which is airing here in Canada, with no dvd all at at the moment, and the only online streaming of it the subtitled version].

2- If costs are being kept low, Toei probably won't lose all that much money on these dubs. In the 80's and 90's, stuff like this was often just produced for pilot presentations, never to be seen by the public [just look at Harmony Gold's Dr.Slump]. I'm guessing they could break even pretty easily, and are probably more likely to make money then if they dubbed the hundreds of episodes involved with these series, given even the shortest ones run around 50 episodes, and the longer are well into the 100's like FOTNS and Kitaro.

Anime Companies are only interested in what us nerds think when they're making money off of it. If we're not a profit source for them, we don't really count as much, and I can live with that. Toei knows this quite well, and if we want product that suits us, we have to show them there's a market for it [no doubt Funimation's doing their darndest to do so with One Piece]

On another note, with the return of dubbed compilation films alongside stuff like subtitled only dvd's and a return to dubonly edited kiddie shows like Bakugan being the big breadwinners merchandise-wise, it feels like anime's going back to it's slightly more oddball roots before the days of bilingual dvd's, unedited tv runs and dubbing everything. The glory years are over, but it's certainly not stopping companies in Japan and here from trying their darndest to keep bringing us more anime.

Even if Toei's interests are correct, I still can't see this move working unless they have a sure-fire plan to break even. Hell, I'll let this go if Toei is willing to admit that they're planning on selling these DVDs at a loss. Compilations, questionable dub studios, and properties aimed at only the most hardcore of fans doesn't sound like a long-term success formula to me. Perhaps Toei should consider a print-on-demand service like what ImaginAsian did.
Ojamajo Limepie wrote:
Ashita no Nadja is from 2003, hardly what I'd call old. I hope we get a subbed version at crunchyroll, like with Pretty Cure.

Whoops! Didn't notice that. Got too wrapped up in Harlock and Hokuto. Smile
pat_payne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Having seen the so bad they're good dubs of Tekkaman back in the day, I have to wonder how the new dubs are going to work. The cast is filled with some... interesting and ... unorthodox... choices, at least to my mind:

The Original Article wrote:
The dubbing cast includes Winckler, G. Larry Butler, Robert Axelrod, David Gerrold,

Is this the "Trouble with Tribbles" David Gerrold? The sci-fi writer?
Quote:
Don Glut

And again -- is this Donald F. Glut, famed Sci-fi writer and all-around renaissance man? Shocked
Quote:
Fred Laderman (Fred Ladd),

He's still working? Shocked (I mean that not in a dismissive way, but I'd thought he'd retired...)
Quote:
Chase Masterson

Cool! An actual actor!
Quote:
Butch Patrick

Interesting choice there....
siradix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Did they notice a future trend? Is WWP on a nostalgia trip? Or am I just totally out of the loop as to why they would pick these movies?
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Even splicing them into movies and putting them together in huge cheap packs, they still won't sell. Besides, cutting up something like Harlock would be horrible.

Oh, okay, so your position is that these shouldn't be released at all. They're better off never seeing the light of day in the United States. You would have Toei sit on its hands and do nothing. I won't waste my time debating that.

Interesting where the criticism here comes from. Some people decide they can predict the future and declare that they'll never sell in any format, others claim the dubbing is questionable without hearing even a single word of it, and we have an assumption that compilations have to automatically suck. Mercy. That's a lot of thin ice to be standing on.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
I see, these "features" are all supposed to be compilation movies. I was expecting something a little different for a brief moment there.

Think the 1980's and you're there!

And yes, I expected more too.

Quote:
I would imagine that saves a lot of time and resources as far as the production of dubs goes, but in terms of content the results might be uneven, to say the least, depending on each series.

At least it looks like some are getting sequels (let along stretching Fist of the North Star out a tad). Just be glad this isn't like the days of the Force Five compilation movie tapes when everything was crammed into 100 minutes.

FireChick wrote:
Wow! They're dubbing a lot of classical anime! Maybe they'll license and dub some modern anime too! I wanna see them dub shows like Candy Candy or Lady Lady or even some World Masterpiece Theater anime!!!

How 'bout "Honey Honey?" (Cap'n Dave would be proud of that)

omnistry wrote:
Kitaro's Graveyard Gang? Is this the English name for the beloved "Ge-Ge-Ge no Kitaro"? Anime hyper

I did a double-take on that! Shocked

Sounds like something you'd expect on Saturday mornings all right. Though why would a more amusing English title could be something like "Ki-Ki-Ki-Kitaro's spooky pals". Razz

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Wait, they're planning on releasing spliced versions of their TV shows as movies?

Somebody stop Toei!!! They're not thinking straight!

Next thing you know "The Bullets" will come along to croon a few tunes! Laughing

Lord Geo wrote:
Well, would you rather not want any chance of these shows being released on DVD at all? Really, these shows would normally have no chance at being released on DVD at this point in time, so these compilation movies are the best bet. Yes, I too would rather want the actual shows in their entirety, but dubbing all of these shows in their entirety would not be economically feasible.

It's only amazing someone remembered we did these things 25 years ago and felt it was the best they could do (like that they could've done it 5 years ago).

Quote:
Of course, if these DVDs end up being dub-only then I too would have a big problem and would probably not buy them, but at the same time I fully see this method as the only real way to get these shows on DVD anymore. Just because FUNimation is streaming the full shows of Harlock and Fist of the North Star doesn't mean that they'll pick up the entire shows, dub them, and release them on DVD.

As long as they don't end up in the Kid Vid section for years.

Quote:
In one sense you can call this a "neccessary evil".

Lord knows we've never run out of that! Twisted Evil

[quote="Paploo"]1- The thing with digital distribution is that it's not really making money yet. Not real money anyways-
Like Monopoly money? Laughing

Quote:
Funimation, Media Blasters and others mostly use it as a form of advertising, an extra revenue source, or a way to profit off of existing materials..... DVD's are still where most of the money is, and the home video market looks to be exactly what Toei's aiming for with these [anyhoo, they can have their cake and eat it too, considering they're doing this alongside their existing subtitled streaming efforts. They're also dubbing shows entirely for TV broadcast as seen in their dub of Bobobobobobo for CN (Illumitoon was just the dvd distributor), and their dub of Pretty Cure which is airing here in Canada, with no dvd all at at the moment, and the only online streaming of it the subtitled version].

This is where one needs to be taping it for all eternity, DO IT!!!!

Quote:
2- If costs are being kept low, Toei probably won't lose all that much money on these dubs. In the 80's and 90's, stuff like this was often just produced for pilot presentations, never to be seen by the public [just look at Harmony Gold's Dr.Slump].

I still liked what I saw there besides the editing around the Japanese signage. There were opportunities for these shows to shine, but the TV market in American was limited then, as it is now (cable would've been the only REAL home for any of it as far as I'm concern, and this comes from a guy who grew up during those glory days).

Quote:
Anime Companies are only interested in what us nerds think when they're making money off of it. If we're not a profit source for them, we don't really count as much, and I can live with that. Toei knows this quite well, and if we want product that suits us, we have to show them there's a market for it [no doubt Funimation's doing their darndest to do so with One Piece]

We can only hope. Not much into OP myself but I know some people who would be into it. I still think the general public is what some of these companies are concerned with in breaking in.

Quote:
On another note, with the return of dubbed compilation films alongside stuff like subtitled only dvd's and a return to dubonly edited kiddie shows like Bakugan being the big breadwinners merchandise-wise, it feels like anime's going back to it's slightly more oddball roots before the days of bilingual dvd's, unedited tv runs and dubbing everything. The glory years are over, but it's certainly not stopping companies in Japan and here from trying their darndest to keep bringing us more anime.

This is where I take a moment to plug Dave's blog people outta check out before they complain further!
http://letsanime.blogspot.com/

As some wise person said, "Those that forget history are DOOMED to repeat it!" Lord knows how long I waited for this! Twisted Evil

Cain Highwind wrote:
Has anyone actually seen William Winckler's Tekkaman dub? It's hilariously awful. Granted those were done way back in 1984, I'm not expecting them to do any better now.

It's still a surprise, they just came back out of nowhere.

They were surely missed for so long! Fred Patton used to work for that guy.

[quote="pat_payne"]Having seen the so bad they're good dubs of Tekkaman back in the day, I have to wonder how the new dubs are going to work. The cast is filled with some... interesting and ... unorthodox... choices, at least to my mind:

The Original Article wrote:
Fred Laderman (Fred Ladd)
He's still working? Shocked (I mean that not in a dismissive way, but I'd thought he'd retired...)

I'm just glad he's still alive 'n kickin'! Don't question his integrity.

Quote:
Butch Patrick
Interesting choice there....

Getting memories of "Phantom Tollbooth" in my head now!

All we need now is a Hi-Topps Video-style label and we're set! Twisted Evil
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
I hope nobody minds the 2 year bump but now there's an update thanks to an interview that SciFi Japan did with William Winckler himself.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011/07/30/classic-anime-gets-star-treatment/
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
Wow, so it looks like about 6 of the films are available now on Toei's broadband site:

http://shop.anime-bb.com/anime/idx_title.htm

(they're all under "e" for "eigo version").

And they've got cast lists on the info for those inclined.

One has to wonder though, if they were all produced in 2009, why are they released only on a Japanese site restricted to Japan with zero advertising and no listing of any sort? Especially if the dubbing quality was as stellar as that interview seemed to imply Smile.

P.S. From what I recall, Toei's BB site was not actually region locked, so anyone with ~$4 could rent one of them and check them out.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
That interview is an interesting read! This is such a weird business-- it's like people from the 80s traveled through time and set up shop in the future.

Also am I the only one who thinks it's weird how they're making an abridged film of Hana no Ko LunLun when we already have two?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3