• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sugar Sugar Rune's Anno Back at Work After 18 Months

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
For those who like her work, I'm glad she's better. She was strong enough not to run away from her work (Evangelion fans should know I am referring to Shinji's "I musn't run away" line. However, I read on a Tv Trope article that's not his catchphrase literally. I don't remember what the actual one is but when I read it, I thought "I musn't run away" makes more sense).
lys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Aww, good news! I hope she can maintain her health, first of all, but it's exciting that she plans to resume her manga work too!
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
She's one of my favorite manga-ka out there. I'm glad she's feeling better.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'd be more excited about this if I'd read more of her work than just Sugar Sugar Rune.

Did she get meddled with by the editors with that one or something? It's all kinds of screwed up.
srhisey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
This is the best news I've heard in months! Anno-sensei is my favorite mangaka ever! I'm so happy she is able to return to drawing again.

To Fronzel:
How was Sugar Sugar Rune all kinds of messed up? I didn't notice anything way off.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
srhisey wrote:
How was Sugar Sugar Rune all kinds of messed up? I didn't notice anything way off.

I feel like we're getting off-topic, but...

Its pacing and structure is screwed-up. Is it about their magical contest to find the next Queen? Is it about Chocolat and Vanilla's friendship? Chocolat's little love affair with Pierre? Magical war?! It can't decide! And every time it switches gears, it gives off a loud "clunk" as storylines stop dead in their tracks in favor of new ones. The ending of Vanilla's "corrupted heart" storyline was especially bad. Wave the wand and everything's fixed, despite the fact we were clearly told that Vanilla's loneliness and jealousy were the real problem.

A bunch of secondary characters get big introductions, only to be irrelevant. I'm thinking of Akira, especially, who was never the least bit important to a single chapter.

Most annoying to me, I think, is that the unpleasant implications of the whole heart-stealing thing (emotional connections are just a means to material gain, get people to like you by any means necessary, people are worthless once you've gotten what you want from them) are never explored with any depth. They're so obvious I have difficulty believing Anno didn't design it that way. There was that one chapter where Chocolat regretted taking a boy's heart because it ended their friendship...but that's the last we hear of the idea. There's a short series of contrived situations where killing someone's emotions is an unequivocal benefit to them, and then the whole heart-stealing thing quietly goes away for good.

It's a shame because the art's pretty good and Chocolat is very likable. She's a tomboy who has the traditional shoujo heroine virtues of sensitivity and kindness, but they're not presented as in conflict with her tomboyishness. She expresses some pretty usual feelings in a slightly different way. It could have been a contender!
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
Sugar Sugar Rune is a bit out of my age range (I can enjoy a few titles that fit into this category, but Sugar isn't one of them - it's alright, but nothing special) but I loooove Happy Mania and Flowers and Bees. I hope Hataraki Man manga gets licensed.

Take notice now that our girl is back to work - she makes some good manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1