• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Popularity Contests

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
The term "all-girl universe" was not used literally in the article or in my reference to same. We are talking about the fact that generally, such shows involve universes where male characters are almost non-existent or are simple archetypes who have zero to little character development, and simply stand in as objectives or tools of the magical girl. I was making an observation that that dynamic could be something that could be deconstructed in a future show. You haven't refuted my point, it looks like you were just searching for something to disagree with me on.

"All-female universe" is rarely a neutral comment and pretty much never a positive one. It's almost always used as a criticism. The rest of your comment also suggested its something you see as a problem or not a good thing. It also doesn't really apply to most magical girl shows. Even Madoka Magica would be a stretch.

I fail to see the problem or what needs to be "deconstructed" about male characters not having major roles in the story. Especially when most of the genre is aimed primarily at girls.

Quote:

P.S. By the way, for an example which kind of speaks to what I was commenting on, you could look at Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? It's not totally on point but is a good starting place.

It uses a boy being a magical girl as a joke. It's really not a magical girl show in any meaningful way and says absolutely nothing about the genre.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What, you want a Magical Girl show with a male lead?

Hm...I couldn't deny that a Magical Boy show would be...interesting, to say the least. Perhaps one with a female protagonist and a male deuteragonist.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Negima technically a magical boy manga/anime?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I...guess? I'd just call it a "fighting shounen" though.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Hm...I couldn't deny that a Magical Boy show would be...interesting, to say the least. Perhaps one with a female protagonist and a male deuteragonist.

Thank you, lol. It's so nice to see open minded people in the ANN forums these days.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Thank you, lol. It's so nice to see open minded people in the ANN forums these days.

No prob.

In any case, I'd imagine Magical Boys to be chivalrous Knights/"Princes" or summat.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I never understood why some people get so obsessed with tempering the opinions of others.

I realize that as a published critic that people read you can never win - some people actually felt I didn't praise the show enough - but I find that far less irritating than the people who go on and on and on when something gets "too much" praise.

I really loved the show, and I explained why. I don't really care if "we've seen elements like these before in other shows" - what does that even matter? How would that change my opinion that in this specific instance I thought the elements came together nigh-perfectly? It's almost never about being original, it's what you do with existing story elements.

And again, what exactly is the obsession with not only policing the general opinions of other people but making sure they know they're wrong if they didn't enjoy it exactly as much or as little as you did? It seems like some people just want to disagree on something, anything, so they can seem like their opinion is the 'most right' one and everyone else is just a fool. It's really obnoxious and never, ever leads to substantive or even interesting discussion.

People also seem to use any enthusiasm or passion for a subject as an excuse to knock whoever's expressing sincere joy over something down and to present themselves as the sane, level-headed objectively right person. Oh, you really liked something? Well, you liked it too much! It was good but not as good as you say it was! Everyone listen to me now, I'm the voice of reason.

Screw that. Let people have their passion, even if you think it's hyperbolic. At no point was I exaggerating or overstating my appreciation for the show and being told to further justify my opinion to you after thousands of words on the matter is a waste of time. You didn't like the show as much as I did, great. Yelling about how now we all have to explain to you why we think it's special when you're clearly only interested in being condescending, dismissive and insulting about it - presumably to end the horrible national nightmare of people liking a TV show more than you think they should is dumb and transparent.
silentjay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that, other than Armitage Dual Matrix, most of the Geneon titles listed were not US/Japan co-productions considering that Geneon/Pioneer is a Japanese company that just happened to have a North American distribution arm, unlike ADV that went in the other direction.

It's like saying that all of Bandai's titles were co-productions.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Going back to the question of American companies co-producing anime, who cares? Anime does not have to subscribe to Western themes to be great and appreciated by audiences in this part of the world. I also think it is kind of silly to say that anime has become too Japanese.

Hasn't anime always been Japanese? I do not believe Western tastes have been that prevalent in anime to begin. Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are exceptions, but I have not seen other clear examples of this.

Plenty of amazing anime has come in the last 5 years and if you are not enjoying it because it is too Japanese, you are missing lots of great stuff.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
I'm pretty sure that, other than Armitage Dual Matrix, most of the Geneon titles listed were not US/Japan co-productions considering that Geneon/Pioneer is a Japanese company that just happened to have a North American distribution arm, unlike ADV that went in the other direction.

I questioned the list myself because that was a lot of titles listed. So, I double-checked a bunch of the shows (didn't check all) Brian listed against the ANN Encyclopedia and most of them shows do list Geneon USA under Production under Japanese companies. The only show, to my knowledge, that shouldn't be on the list is Zero no Tsukaima.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I never understood why some people get so obsessed with tempering the opinions of others.

I realize that as a published critic that people read you can never win - some people actually felt I didn't praise the show enough - but I find that far less irritating than the people who go on and on and on when something gets "too much" praise.

I really loved the show, and I explained why. I don't really care if "we've seen elements like these before in other shows" - what does that even matter? How would that change my opinion that in this specific instance I thought the elements came together nigh-perfectly? It's almost never about being original, it's what you do with existing story elements.

And again, what exactly is the obsession with not only policing the general opinions of other people but making sure they know they're wrong if they didn't enjoy it exactly as much or as little as you did? It seems like some people just want to disagree on something, anything, so they can seem like their opinion is the 'most right' one and everyone else is just a fool. It's really obnoxious and never, ever leads to substantive or even interesting discussion.

People also seem to use any enthusiasm or passion for a subject as an excuse to knock whoever's expressing sincere joy over something down and to present themselves as the sane, level-headed objectively right person. Oh, you really liked something? Well, you liked it too much! It was good but not as good as you say it was! Everyone listen to me now, I'm the voice of reason.

Screw that. Let people have their passion, even if you think it's hyperbolic. At no point was I exaggerating or overstating my appreciation for the show and being told to further justify my opinion to you after thousands of words on the matter is a waste of time. You didn't like the show as much as I did, great. Yelling about how now we all have to explain to you why we think it's special when you're clearly only interested in being condescending, dismissive and insulting about it - presumably to end the horrible national nightmare of people liking a TV show more than you think they should is dumb and transparent.

I don't know if this is directed at me, but assuming it is, the question to the Answerman was "Why is it that Zac's review of Madoka was so super duper best thing ever, and the L.A. Times reviewer was like, 'meh, if you're into anime you might want to check it out.'" I was attempting to answer that while also noting that even for anime fans, it wasn't universally the "super duper best thing ever." My commentary on your review was more or less "I agree with everything Zac says except for his take on the finale, which I thought was rather vapid." If agreeing with you on 95% of your opinion and disagreeing on 5% is crazy outrageous unfair, then ok. But come on, you have to be able to take some criticism even if its only on 5% of your opinion.

Also, perhaps I was a little condescending to the explanations about the finale but I really do think many of them are a bit silly in the "emperor has no clothes" fashion as was noted above. It's not like i'm the first person to use humor to point out flaws I see in some interpretation of a show. In fact, one of the reasons I enjoy your reviews so much is because the sarcasm is always quite fun. Like I said, I loved the show. I thought it was one of the best shows i've seen in years, but I also think it has flaws. Given the topic of discussion (i.e. one reviewer says its the best thing ever, another reviewer says its "meh", who's right?) I figured i'd throw out there that maybe both are a little wrong and a little right.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
My commentary on your review was more or less "I agree with everything Zac says except for his take on the finale, which I thought was rather vapid."

Except Zac's take on the finale is hardly unique.

More digital ink has been spilled over Madoka in general and its ending in particular than on any anime in recent memory.

If you have an objection to the widely held interpretation of the ending (which is basically the same one Zac has, because its not that complicated) you need to actually put your interpretation up, and not just complain that no one is explaining it well.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
yes, yes, yes! InuYasha is more "popular" because of its TV airing on Adult Swim and Teletoon and elsewhere in the Western world. (...). Nevermind that Ranma ½ never got a TV airing;

Dear Mr. Answerman, In your part of the world, maybe. Wink
Ranma was broadcasted in Latin America, Europe (maybe the Western-er part of it), Arabic-speaking countries, etc.

Simply, Inu Yasha is more "modern" and enjoyed the worldwide "anime boom", with Adult Swim, Animax, Teletoon, etc. while Ranma was still one "of those cheap shows from Japan kids seem to love" TV broadcasters bough a dime a dozen. Let's remember that at first Viz released it in comic-book format! Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Of course Viz first released Ranma 1/2 as a comic book. The Manga version preceded the anime by a couple of years. If you are referring to the fact that it was initially released in comic book format (phamplet or floppy style) all manga was released like that at the time It had no special significence to the title.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
To those poor souls who need their hands held to understand the ending, please read this guide. All of it. And then shut about how the ending sucks. Moaning that you can't understand the ending doesn't mean it is confusing or badly written; it just means you didn't pay enough attention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7