• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Popularity Contests

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Just to throw my hat into the ring:

The only real problems I had with Madoka's ending were:

-The gratuitious yuri scene (you know what I'm talking about)
-The sheer speed at which it went through the events
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Mmh, apart from Soul Eater, which was a cool show, Fullmetal Alchemist and Gintama, which I haven't seen yet, but look pretty good, I didn't like the shows on that list. And for some "didn't like" is putting it nicely. As said, tastes ...

was Soul Eater actually produced (among others) by Funimation?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

-The gratuitious yuri scene (you know what I'm talking about)

Seriously Chagen, you don't have to wave your "I don't like yuri" flag so hard. If you seriously consider that gratuitous, I hope to god you rage every time a het couple kisses.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with yuri, I have a problem with having two characters gratuitously embracing each other nakedly for no other reason that to fuel yuri doujins.

Was the Naked Negative Space Wedgie Hug REALLY needed?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Yuri scene? I'm confused about that Yuri scene Chagen46. Do you mean where she's reduced to pretty much light and without clothes and all that? Cause that's fairly typical in magical anime/manga.

Just like that ending. I myself found the ending to be a common theme/ending to magical girl anime, and sort of predicted it to happen. Sailor Moon did it for just about every season finale (heck, she even has super charged magic naked moments with girls and bad guys too). Utena did it in their own coming of age way. When you get down to it a magical girl finale isn't really a magical girl finale without magic, love, and self sacrifice.

And did someone say Magical Boys? I can easily think of two off the top of my head:

Loki from Mythical Detective Loki
Chiaki/Kaito Sinbad from Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne
Syaoran Li from Cardcator Sakura. I think Eriol would count too. Heck, the majority of CLAMP fantasy series feature magical boys now that I think about it.

I'm sure there's plenty more. Magical guys pop up every now and then in the genre, and when they do they usually end up a love interest.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I don't have a problem with yuri, I have a problem with having two characters gratuitously embracing each other nakedly for no other reason that to fuel yuri doujins.

Was the Naked Negative Space Wedgie Hug REALLY needed?

Yes, it was.

Also, you seriously think that was needed to fuel yuri doujins? Seriously? THAT?

Your ideas about how this stuff works is hilariously simplistic sometime.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Yuri scene? I'm confused about that Yuri scene Chagen46. Do you mean where she's reduced to pretty much light and without clothes and all that? Cause that's fairly typical in magical anime/manga.

Chagen hates anything even vaguely sexual that doesn't pander to his own, very specific, fetishes.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I'm talking about the scene in the last episode where Madoka and Homura are conversing while naked n' shit.

I just fail to see why they had to have no clothes on.

How about we change the question around and ask why you had to see it as sexual?

They were sort of thrown out of time and space if I recall correctly. Something about the universe re-creating itself. You don't need clothes for that. I can go into a whole spiel on feminine symbolism with creation and all, but that might overdo it for you if you think a girl in her birthday suit automatically equals sex.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Chagen46, the naked girls together scene seemed kind of gratuitous and didn't add anything to the show for me. Lol, I did have a good laugh though at Fencedude saying "Yes it was" in response to "Was the naked negative space wedgie hug really necessary?" I love you guys.

I also agree with littlegreenwolf though that these naked time scenes are kind of common in magical girl shows. I think it is blatant heavy otaku pandering, but whatevers.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I also agree with littlegreenwolf though that these naked time scenes are kind of common in magical girl shows. I think it is blatant heavy otaku pandering, but whatevers.

Shinbou is an admitted lolicon, so I think he puts that stuff in because HE likes it, not just to pander to otaku.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I agree with Chagen46, the naked girls together scene seemed kind of gratuitous and didn't add anything to the show for me.

Well, you managed to completely misinterpret the entire ending, so its not like I'd expect you to pay attention during the emotional climax of Homura's character arc or anything.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Well, you managed to completely misinterpret the entire ending, so its not like I'd expect you to pay attention during the emotional climax of Homura's character arc or anything.

ChibiKangaroo and Chagen46 probably thought the scene was supposed to represent a different kind of "climax".

It's sad that people see nudity and automatically equate it to sex.

That said, having two characters converse with one another while nude in an alternate dimension is frequently abused by the Gundam franchise, to use one notable example.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

ChibiKangaroo and Chagen46 probably thought the scene was supposed to represent a different kind of "climax".

It's sad that people see nudity and automatically equate it to sex.

That said, having two characters converse with one another while nude in an alternate dimension is frequently abused by the Gundam franchise, to use one notable example.

Lol. Yea I think I have gotten so jaded with naked time together scenes in pretty much every genre of anime that it is starting to just annoy me rather than convey any special meaning. It gets abused too much to the point where it loses any emotional impact.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

To be fair, Homura probably would have preferred that too.

Being HomuHomu is suffering Anime cry
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
A certain individual has a problem with unexplained yuri themes in anime. Can we really stop bullying now? Like Zac said, everyone has their own opinions but this is really going to far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7