• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Popularity Contests

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
A certain individual has a problem with unexplained yuri themes in anime. Can we really stop bullying now? Like Zac said, everyone has their own opinions but this is really going to far.

If he didn't insist on injecting it into every discussion, however tangentially unrelated.

Also he really has no standing for lecturing others on their fetishes.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say though that I am against yuri scenes in anime. I just get annoyed by most of the ones that act all serious. The ones that are just straight up fan service and meant to be that way, in a fan servicy show, I have no issues with that.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
How dare Madoka suggest that some of its characters be non-heternormative!
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I think if Robert Abele found anything confusing about Madoka to the extent that it interfered with enjoying the movies, then he would have noted it in his review in the LA Times. As it stands, he recommended it. He gave it a positive review.

When you have a story that deals with cosmic events, you always court the risk of falling too deeply into the abstract. When that happens, it is very easy to come up with an infinite number of explanations to fill the void left by a lack of concrete, down to earth actions and consequence like a guy shoots a gun and someone falls over dead. At the end of Madoka a girl shoots an arrow, and it changes the universe.

You have to consider it in terms of other movies that deal with cosmic events. I think of 2001, The Tree of Life and The End of Evangelion. I liked the first two because they attempt to capture the entire human history (past, present and future) through unique cinematic visions of how humanity changes. On the other hand, I love how Evangelion put two individuals and their feelings for each other at the center of a situation that threatens to change the world forever. It's this same aspect that makes me love Madoka. Madoka and Homura's friendship becomes the emotional centerpiece of this cosmic event.

I don't think that makes the ending any easier to understand, but it's not supposed to be. (It deals with altering the universe. I'm glad they didn't just resort to theoretical physics.) Nonetheless, I found it emotionally satisfying because it was the culmination of their story arc. I cared what happened to Madoka because Homura feared losing her forever.

When I see a David Lynch movie, I don't expect to understand everything, but I expect to be led on an emotional journey that leads to a satisfying conclusion. Did INLAND EMPIRE make perfect sense? No, but it was still incredibly satisfying because I felt I had been taken on a complete journey. Likewise with Cloud Atlas. I did not get how all the stories were interconnected, but it all fit together by how each one developed and climaxed.

If none of these films catch your fancy, than most likely, what Madoka Magica was trying to portray was not up your alley.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I agree with Chagen46, the naked girls together scene seemed kind of gratuitous and didn't add anything to the show for me. Lol, I did have a good laugh though at Fencedude saying "Yes it was" in response to "Was the naked negative space wedgie hug really necessary?" I love you guys.

I also agree with littlegreenwolf though that these naked time scenes are kind of common in magical girl shows. I think it is blatant heavy otaku pandering, but whatevers.

For those who haven't seen the movies, spoiler[they now have dresses in that scene! Pretty, sparkly dresses.] ~_^

Anyway, before we drift too far off-topic, here's my reply to ChibiKangaroo's post from the first page.

It's a long one, so please take the time to consider it! And let's all try to stick to the answerman topic here. I love discussing Madoka and all, and a little branching off here and there from a topic isn't always bad, but I think it's time to take it somewhere else. Click my link above and we can freely take the discussion to the actual topic instead!
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
From getting out of Madoka -to me only one is Izumi Matsumoto's-...
Alan45 wrote:
Of course Viz first released Ranma 1/2 as a comic book. The Manga version preceded the anime by a couple of years. If you are referring to the fact that it was initially released in comic book format (phamplet or floppy style) all manga was released like that at the time It had no special significence to the title.

In the meaning as "We should release the more Westernized way so readers don't ran away from this "manga" thing!

tuxedocat wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Inuyasha, aside from its near-endless television run, had a mix of characters that attracted a larger audience. I don't think that Ranma had either.

Such as an independent strong minded, but sensible female character and astubborn but more powerful boy, a jerk with a heart of gold, plus some lecherous secundary character, a kid with amazing powers...?
Rumiko Takahashi has done that for years.

In fact, I think that Ranma had a bigger ("regular"?) cast. What it maybe lacked was real story, instead of a "story of the week: Ranma and friends jump into something funny". The only difference with Inuyasha is that in every "Inuyasha and friends jump into something creepy" is the Shinkon jewel or Naraku was after all in some way. And a clear love story.

As for the harem. Well, if I remember correctly from my ages, girl fans had boys enough, too: Ranma, Ryoga, Mouse, even Kunô...

In a nutshell, I am not saying Inuyasha is better or worse than Ranma. I am just saying IY is more modern, and thus, better known.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It seems weird to me though with how much more popular InuYasha is considering it's from the same creator and not as good.

Replace Inuyasha with Ranma 1/2 and Ranma 1/2 with Urusei Yatsura, in my opinion. Two crackpot comedies by the same author, but the inferior one was far (Ranma), far more popular.

That being said Inuyasha is totally better than Ranma 1/2. I feel like Ranma is absolutely her weakest series (although I have yet to read most of Rinne, so I have no idea where it would fall).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:40 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Quote:
In the meaning as "We should release the more Westernized way so readers don't ran away from this "manga" thing!

Well yes. They even had the first volume of Ranma 1/2 colored to appeal to a larger audience. The graphic novel/trade paperback format was present when Viz started publishing but was not very common back then. Some series never did get the volume treatment. The shorter format made sense in that it required a smaller investment to start something new.

I'm not sure what the manga format has to do with the subject of Ranma 1/2's anime popularity.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
Ranma 1/2 is still pretty well known. It's not obscure at all. It was one of the first series I got into when I became an anime manga/fan.

In fact I would say Inuyasha & Ranma 1/2 are Takahashi's most well known series in the west.

I also disagree that Ranma is weaker than Inuyasha (although when first reading these series I might have agreed). Inuyasha suffers from dragging on way too long. Although it has the stronger overall conclusion than Ranma, I never grew tired or weary of Ranma.

Although Maison Ikkoku is definitely my favorite if hers. It's not exactly unknown. It's regarded as a classic but I think only seasoned anime or Takahashi fans seek it out.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
I still don't know why people have such a problem with Inuyasha, but then... I haven't gone back to watch it in a good long while. I loved it--the music (which just about everyone praises, even if they don't like the characters or story), the setting, the adventure, the interesting cast, and even the drama. It was nothing short of a masterpiece (or at least as masterpiece as a shounen/shoujo cross series could get) when I was younger. It's still one of my favorite series from when I was first delving into the Japanese side of anime.

But really, I need to go back and watch/read it again to analyze it deeper than I ever cared to before. :/
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Technically, Ranma DID air on TV in the US... in syndication in a few cities (most likely late at night though...) in the mid-late 1990s. According to this article: http://www.retrojunk.com/content/article/6925/index/ I also once saw a TV rip of an early Pokemon episode online from a local station with a quick commercial mentioning that Ranma 1/2 was coming up next.

I love both Ranma and InuYasha, but from what I've seen, Maison Ikkuko was really neat too. I haven't seen much of Urusei Yatsura (it's REALLY difficult to find the whole show), but from what I have seen, it looks really cool.

Now that Viz no longer has Ranma (most likely. The DVDs are all discontinued), FUNimation (who HAS mentioned that they would love to have it) can now take it, and give it a proper (and better-priced...) release. Hopefully the manga will be released un-flipped in the future. I REALLY want to purchase it, but I refuse to if it's flipped...
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
InuYasha ran on YTV, not Teletoon in Canada. And it was likely a wider airing of InuYasha that led to it's greater popularity. Ranma has never aired in Canada.

With all this talk of Magica Modica I wonder if I should watch it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
InuYasha ran on YTV, not Teletoon in Canada. And it was likely a wider airing of InuYasha that led to it's greater popularity. Ranma has never aired in Canada.

I think you should watch it. Good and bad opinions of it have been thrown here. But I think the best opinion is the one you develop after watching any show. The only other thing I will say is, Madoka Magica is a quality anime.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

It might still be too early to say, but at least in Japan, Madoka has so far done to Magical Girl series what Evangelion did to the Mecha genre for the fans and for other anime. Whether or not you like it in the end, I think it's worth it to watch it all the way through once to experience it, so you can at least say you've seen it.

Without spoiling anything, I'll just give you a hint to keep you from getting bored: If you feel like giving up on the series at episodes 1, 2, or the first half of 3, believe it or not, you'll probably love the rest of it even more... Just don't spoil yourself online. The series is meant to be taken without expectations. If you find spoilers and then make expectations, the show will likely diverge from those expectations, which, without knowing the intent of the show, might turn you off from it. Just watch it and enjoy the ride. ~_^
partially

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:41 am Reply with quote
For those after magical boys there is also Brocken Blood, if you don't mind some pretty twisted reading. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7