• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Popularity Contests

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
Did you get into Anime through Ranma 1/2? Your introduction to it sounds remarkably similar to mine - as well, Ranma 1/2 was one of the first shows to really get me into Anime (I also enjoyed Mermaid's Scar and the original AD Police OVA).

My problem, of course, with Inu Yasha (and Rumiko Takahashi in general it seems) is that the story does not conclusively wrap up and instead it runs on forever - sometimes I genuinely prefer the shows that are tell short complete stories.

Haibane Renmei is, without a doubt, one of those "great shows you've never seen" and I really am a better person for having seen it. (Thank you Shawn!)

Also, I have a friend who got Master Keaton at Big Lots for a couple bucks. So, I'd imagine a couple DVDs sold (it's a great show but I can understand a little how it could be inaccessible to some).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
Actually, both Ramna 1/2 and Inuyasha did end. But yeah, Takahashi has a tendancy to drag a story out for way too long.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Actually, both Ramna 1/2 and Inuyasha did end. But yeah, Takahashi has a tendancy to drag a story out for way too long.

yes >.> sorry, what I was trying to suggest was that the story didn't wrap up as neatly as it could have had it not dragged out for eons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
While Ranma 1/2 had one of those same as usual conclusions , I would argue Inuyasha definitely had a clear conclusion.

Sadly by the time it get there my appreciation for the series really waned.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
While Ranma 1/2 had one of those same as usual conclusions , Inwoukd argue Inuyasha definitely had a clear conclusion.

Sadly by the time it get there my appreciation for the series really waned.

yeah, I never made it that far myself. Inu Yasha did movies and launched another series, as I recall - I had more or less bowed out by then. Which is a shame cause I enjoyed it but not enough to watch all of it.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I finished the manga, never finished the anime.

However the first anime series concluded before the manga ended. I am not sure you can fault the anime for not having a conclusion then when the source material was still ongoing. I think having an open conclusion is better than if the anime had made up its own ending.

Then when the manga ended, the new Inuyasha series started with a proper conclusion.

If anything Inuyasha fans were treated better than most fans of ongoing series who never get their full manga animated.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I finished the manga, never finished the anime.

However the first anime series concluded before the manga ended. I am not sure you can fault the anime for not having a conclusion then when the source material was still ongoing. I think having an open conclusion is better than if the anime had made up its own ending.

Then when the manga ended, the new Inuyasha series started with a proper conclusion.

If anything Inuyasha fans were treated better than most fans of ongoing series who never get their full manga animated.

No absolutely this is true. Particularly because InuYasha was popular I guess it was able to finish. Hellsing is popular and it's gotten a SECOND series - likewise, Fullmetal Alchemist and Berserk - so popularity helps a show in that sense it seems.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:08 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
To me, Madoka was a show I really enjoyed while it aired, since it gave better internet discussions than nearly any other anime I've watched as it aired... Hell, I enjoyed discussing what might happen next and the symbolization more than the anime itself.

Kinda like what happened when Evangelion was airing. Since both are original anime and not based on any previous work, nobody can skip ahead, and everybody's on the same page to speculate. Oh how I recall those Eva post after post the size of college theses! Fun. Laughing

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Technically, Ranma DID air on TV in the US... in syndication in a few cities (most likely late at night though...) in the mid-late 1990s. According to this article: http://www.retrojunk.com/content/article/6925/index/ I also once saw a TV rip of an early Pokemon episode online from a local station with a quick commercial mentioning that Ranma 1/2 was coming up next.

Ranma 1/2 also aired on PBS KTEH in California, among others on this list:

• KTEH 54, the PBS station in San Jose, CA has been showing anime since 1995 when they started with Robotech as part of their Sunday Late-Prime (9pm-after 12) Sci-Fi programming block, and they've been getting better ever since.

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku-Nuku starts at the end of this month.

Other anime they've shown include:
    Tenchi Universe (dubbed but uncensored, years before CN picked it up)
    Urusei Yatsura
    Bubblegum Crisis
    Key, The Metal Idol
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Sakura Wars
    Dirty Pair Flash
    Serial Experiments Lain
    and others that I don't recall right now.

My introduction is similar to Brian's, except it was the Super Famicom game before there was a SNES version. A friend had this bootleg device from Hong Kong that went into the SNES cartridge slot, with the game cartridge going on top of the device, and a 3.5" floppy slot in the middle for copying and playing those games. In a floppy disk, there was this Super Famicom fighting game we don't understand anything about, but I liked playing that guy with the umbrella. It wasn't till a couple years later when the franchise was localized that we realized it's Ranma 1/2.

And yes, at one point, Ranma 1/2 occupied most of the "Japanimation" shelves of the media stores (partly because there was so many volumes, what with only 2 eps per tape), before DBZ took over. And every internet discussion could devolve into a Ranma vs. Ryouga debate (or who's the most deserving fiancee). Still, prefer Maison Ikkoku though. Laughing
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Kinda like what happened when Evangelion was airing. Since both are original anime and not based on any previous work, nobody can skip ahead, and everybody's on the same page to speculate. Oh how I recall those Eva post after post the size of college theses! Fun. :lol:

Oh man, I remember that - especially when the tape for the last two episodes hadn't come out and everyone was speculating - some based on fansubs. And then the movies and a whole new mess that resulted from that -.- I liked the original Manga a bit (and I do like some of the new ones as well) - it wasn't too-too different but I remember it made the psychologies of the characters a little more obvious.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Technically, Ranma DID air on TV in the US... in syndication in a few cities (most likely late at night though...) in the mid-late 1990s. According to this article: http://www.retrojunk.com/content/article/6925/index/ I also once saw a TV rip of an early Pokemon episode online from a local station with a quick commercial mentioning that Ranma 1/2 was coming up next.

enurtsol wrote:

Ranma 1/2 also aired on PBS KTEH in California, among others on this list:

• KTEH 54, the PBS station in San Jose, CA has been showing anime since 1995 when they started with Robotech as part of their Sunday Late-Prime (9pm-after 12) Sci-Fi programming block, and they've been getting better ever since.

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku-Nuku starts at the end of this month.

Other anime they've shown include:
    Tenchi Universe (dubbed but uncensored, years before CN picked it up)
    Urusei Yatsura
    Bubblegum Crisis
    Key, The Metal Idol
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Sakura Wars
    Dirty Pair Flash
    Serial Experiments Lain
    and others that I don't recall right now.

wow that's really awesome - I wasn't even aware of that - how fortunate for those in that area!
enurtsol wrote:

My introduction is similar to Brian's, except it was the Super Famicom game before there was a SNES version. A friend had this bootleg device from Hong Kong that went into the SNES cartridge slot, with the game cartridge going on top of the device, and a 3.5" floppy slot in the middle for copying and playing those games. In a floppy disk, there was this Super Famicom fighting game we don't understand anything about, but I liked playing that guy with the umbrella. It wasn't till a couple years later when the franchise was localized that we realized it's Ranma 1/2.

That's also pretty awesome. I preferred Mousse myself. I seem to recall that we actually had RENTED the SNES game at a local videostore xD

enurtsol wrote:

And yes, at one point, Ranma 1/2 occupied most of the "Japanimation" shelves of the media stores (partly because there was so many volumes, what with only 2 eps per tape), before DBZ took over. And every internet discussion could devolve into a Ranma vs. Ryouga debate (or who's the most deserving fiancee). Still, prefer Maison Ikkoku though. :lol:

I feel like Maison Ikkoku has a better story and I do really enjoy it - particularly the Manga. But yeah, it seemed like Ranma 1/2 and then anything random we could get our hands on - stuff we had no idea what it even was in advance of watching it.

also, if I misattributed anyone I'm sorry ^^;;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7